Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

And we look an absolutely tin pot club/bunch of supporters at the way everyone calls him a snake etc...it is just pathetic.

He was a class player for us, that was instrumental in a team that played the best football we have seen down there in 30 years and then he took over as manager and did a decent enough job, getting us to the play off semis and then left for what he perceived as a bigger job....where is the problem?

Its just classless to be so hateful towards the man.

How do you feel about Klopp and Liverpool again?

It's fun to have rivalries and stories in any sport. And this is one that made Stoke v Derby more interesting. 

Calling him a snake is funny if you see it as giving him a bit of stick. It's not a threat on his life is it. Is anyone waking up in the night worried about it? 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Although I've never been a fan of him I kind of agree that the criticism of his football has gone a bit too far.

I found last season really boring. I just don't like counter attacking football. I don't mind counter attacks but the whole plan from the start to sit back, absorb and break I find myself bored for 80 minutes per game. 

But I don't think he philosophy for his team is like Mick McCarthy or Pulis. Where the idea is to disrupt, battle, scrap and eventually bully. Horrible term "anti football" but if it exists then it would be applicable to these two. 

It wasn't even the boredom that killed me. It was the occasions when we chose to sit back and absorb when the opponent had very little intention of coming at us. It made for the most grim performances. The final straw was Wolves away where they were 1-0 and we helped them defend it. No wonder they scored a stunner. With us lining the box and them stroking it about in front of us the only way there would be a goal is from the middle of the pitch! 

But it all confirmed that he's not one to set a team out with the fun factor that Lampard has. I know we've scored less goals this season and conceded more. But it's fair to say that we've had a good go at enjoying the game. Where Rowett sets up a good defence and then requires opponents to run onto his sword. Which they do. Especially if 1-0. 

He's good at what he does. But what he does is a bit dull. It's a sure fire way to get hammered on occasion. We were pretty poor when going a goal down. 1 comeback maybe? 

It's not "go out and express yourselves" stuff. Lampard's team is understandably naive but it feels like there's more to come. With Rowett I felt like he was sort of set for life.

He's like Bruce Willis. Bruce Willis has always been John McClane. In any film. Sometimes he's better than others. But if he was in A Beautiful Mind or Deadpool or The Greatest Showman then he'd still show up with the white vest and that slightly pissed off look. 

Like Samuel L Jackson. 

Going off topic.

Sorry. 

You get me though bruv?

Quality post

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

And we look an absolutely tin pot club/bunch of supporters at the way everyone calls him a snake etc...it is just pathetic.

He was a class player for us, that was instrumental in a team that played the best football we have seen down there in 30 years and then he took over as manager and did a decent enough job, getting us to the play off semis and then left for what he perceived as a bigger job....where is the problem?

Its just classless to be so hateful towards the man.

He did a decent job playing anti football. He reminds me of your mate Lance, won a few races then a few years later everyone realised he went against everything that people believed in to win....no wonder you like Rowett ?

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

I could feel sympathy for that rubbish about it turning sour because of all that badge kissing false rubbish if he hadn’t just signed a big new contract ,extracted from us by the threat of going to stoke when they were in trouble in the prem then leaving once they were in the championship with us with a bigger budget and better wages for him ???

A lot can happen between January and May - That's when the wheels started to come off a bit for us - First really challenging period of his tenure as manager arguably - And so probably the very period of time when you'd probably want to have a bit of distance between yourself/your family and the club

I don't think any of what he did was about money and I don't think he's lied to anyone in the press or otherwise - I think in January he had every intention of seeing out his Derby contract but by May had become disillusioned with it for personal reasons - If it was just about the money he could have gone to Stoke on a punchy contract in January with zero expectations on his back, in a relegation fight which he's proved to be good at and with a massive salary/pay off contract if they sacked him on relegation

I think I'm less bitter about it all though because I wanted rid of him around January anyway ? Glad he's gone - Hope his kids can enjoy watching Derby again

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think I'm less bitter about it all though because I wanted rid of him around January anyway ? Glad he's gone - Hope his kids can enjoy watching Derby again

I have to say I'm not bitter at all to be honest. I'm also not at all surprised he has failed at Stoke. Still find it remarkable business that we got £2million compensation. IMO we, as a club, can be grateful that he left. I totally agree with your comments about his kids - I wish them all the best.

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

A lot can happen between January and May - That's when the wheels started to come off a bit for us - First really challenging period of his tenure as manager arguably - And so probably the very period of time when you'd probably want to have a bit of distance between yourself/your family and the club

I don't think any of what he did was about money and I don't think he's lied to anyone in the press or otherwise - I think in January he had every intention of seeing out his Derby contract but by May had become disillusioned with it for personal reasons - If it was just about the money he could have gone to Stoke on a punchy contract in January with zero expectations on his back, in a relegation fight which he's proved to be good at and with a massive salary/pay off contract if they sacked him on relegation

For me he preferred to use the stoke interest to bolster a new contract with derby whilst still in with a chance of going up rather than risk a relegation on his cv with relegation threatened stoke who did go on to be relegated and then sack lambert for trying to and failing to save them from relegation ,,

nope for me rowett is very calculating individual which is fine and usual in football but don’t overplay the badge kissing garbage 

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

nope for me rowett is very calculating individual which is fine and usual in football but don’t overplay the badge kissing garbage 

You use the phrase calculating as a charecter flaw yet you say that this is fine...why bring it up if you condone the behaviour?

I was just amused by the grass not being greener and his the way it played out. Like with Schteve McClaren, once the initial happy slap of fate had seen him fall apart at Newcastle I didn't give him much more thought until he came back.

As for rowett, to be honest, I think at backs to the wall hard up clubs he'll have a niech around the championship and league 1 once he rebuilds his reputation a bit, but he's blown his chance to be a big thing after that.

50 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

You use the phrase calculating as a charecter flaw yet you say that this is fine...why bring it up if you condone the behaviour?

Did. I ? Nope you read it wrong ,it was not intended as indicating a flaw in his character and it’s not a case of condoning or not condoning just simple acceptance that that’s the way football is ,as I say it’s my view rowett took thebadge kissing bullshiting to unsavoury levels so I’m glad it came home to roost , that said beyond the stoke sacking I’ve no interest in how he gets on in management 

33 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I was just amused by the grass not being greener and his the way it played out. Like with Schteve McClaren, once the initial happy slap of fate had seen him fall apart at Newcastle I didn't give him much more thought until he came back.

As for rowett, to be honest, I think at backs to the wall hard up clubs he'll have a niech around the championship and league 1 once he rebuilds his reputation a bit, but he's blown his chance to be a big thing after that.

My only criticism of Rowett is that he progressed very quickly up the managerial ladder artificially without earning it.

He needs to actually put something on his CV now rather then he did a good job at Birmingham,  did an OK job at Derby without actually achieving anything in the final analysis.

13 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Apprently their no one choice Jokanovic has said he doesnt want the job 

I heard that in radio 5 too. Let the mass scramble of managers to distance themselves from the job commence. 

The Luton manager is their preferred option now. How did that kind of thinking work out for Ipswich? I’m all for giving an up and coming manager from a lower league a chance, but I really don’t think Stoke is the place for it, and if I was that manager, I’d rather keep flying high with Luton and get a promotion on my cv there, than move to the paoisom chalice that is stoke. Like when Leeds tried a few promising lower league managers, doesn’t really work out wel with big clubs expecting instant success. 

I stuck with him when he was here because he got results, I didn't like the way he got them, but he got them (playoff second leg aside).

Having seen the way he has conducted himself at Stoke and the way they have played their football I am so glad he went. It was never going to get better under Rowett and the way it has ended up is to put it bluntly, bloody hilarious.

Think the majority of fans stuck with him because for most of the time a play-off place was always a possibility, despite the style of football and for the most part, a lack of excitement. The tipping point was the 2nd leg of the play-off semi final - what on earth possessed him to adopt those tactics?

Glad he went when he did and not fussed that he's been drummed out of Stoke for a similarly negative approach - Stoke I ask you, now that's really something!

Archived