Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I understand why he went to Stoke and didn't blame him for it, but that's the gamble, thus I have no sympathy for him at all.

Lower Champ side fighting to stay up/ L1 club aiming for promotion seems a likely next job. His stock has fallen considerably in 8 months.

12 months.

the results started to dip after jan 2018. Yet alot of Derby fans were still singing about "we've got Gary Rowett" in late March. Others had had enough much earlier.

the pot-heads were spooked by Derby fans laughing at them. As far as i can tell the football at stoke was nowhere near as dull as what we watched. However his coccksure arrogance was ultimately his undoing. The Bojan comments killed him.

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think the majority of fans stuck with him because for most of the time a play-off place was always a possibility, despite the style of football and for the most part, a lack of excitement. The tipping point was the 2nd leg of the play-off semi final - what on earth possessed him to adopt those tactics?

How were those tactics a surprise?

he played like that from Brentford away onwards. What was it 27% possession. Brentford fans called it anti-football.

Whilst I genuinely feel for his kids, and what they will have to contend with at school, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for Rowett himself. Anyone earning a living as a professional football manager, and not rating (but rejecting) great players such as Will Hughes and Chris Martin, should not be offered sympathy or understanding when the inevitable happens, and his naive and ill -thought out tactics and footballing philosophy reveal him for the incompetent clown that he is ! 

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't quite get the 'anti football' tag.

Football is about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other.

At this stage of last season we were better off in both stats than we are currently.

What happens in between is a different matter but that is more about personal enjoyment. It's only Sky TV that have led everyone to believe that goals should not be scored unless they are preceeded by 5000 passes.

Have you forgotten from January onwards last season? Absolutely dire football and we got outplayed by Sunderland and Burton who were bottom of the table before kick-off. We were in relegation form but somehow got a top 6 place.

Rowett’s game plan is just to absorb pressure all game and then counter if possible. That isn’t sustainable. We may have scored more and won by bigger margins but we had a lot of luck in that run that got us up the table. The score lines painted over the cracks.

Rowett doesn’t play football, he hopes for a 0-0 and maybe nick a result.

7 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Have you forgotten from January onwards last season? Absolutely dire football and we got outplayed by Sunderland and Burton who were bottom of the table before kick-off. We were in relegation form but somehow got a top 6 place.

Rowett’s game plan is just to absorb pressure all game and then counter if possible. That isn’t sustainable. We may have scored more and won by bigger margins but we had a lot of luck in that run that got us up the table. The score lines painted over the cracks.

Rowett doesn’t play football, he hopes for a 0-0 and maybe nick a result.

No I haven't forgotten them results, them sort of things happen in this division hence why we've also been turned over by Bolton, Rotherham and Millwall this season. 

Have you forgotten that we had more games won by 3 goals margins than any other team last season?

You say it was unsustainable but it clearly wasn't as we reached the play offs. The other times I have regularly heard that this sort of football was unsustainable were when Burnley and Cardiff got promoted using it and Leicester won a Premier League title using it.

To say you get lucky over a season is just wrong in my opinion. 

I know it's going to sound like I like Rowett's style of football, but I genuinely don't, I just think the criticism of it, and him, go top far the other way and some of the arguments used to support it are fictitious and hypocritical.

Sith Happens

I still don't blame him for leaving, I maintain many of us would also leave our 'dream job' if someone offered us something similar with more money.

Likewise although at times his football was a bit boring, at times it was exciting, some of our counter attacking was great to watch.

I do think it was best for us he left though, I think he took the squad in the wrong direction age wise. 

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I haven't forgotten them results, them sort of things happen in this division hence why we've also been turned over by Bolton, Rotherham and Millwall this season. 

Have you forgotten that we had more games won by 3 goals margins than any other team last season?

You say it was unsustainable but it clearly wasn't as we reached the play offs. The other times I have regularly heard that this sort of football was unsustainable were when Burnley and Cardiff got promoted using it and Leicester won a Premier League title using it.

To say you get lucky over a season is just wrong in my opinion. 

I know it's going to sound like I like Rowett's style of football, but I genuinely don't, I just think the criticism of it, and him, go top far the other way and some of the arguments used to support it are fictitious and hypocritical.

Seems you have forgotten how badly we did from January onward.

Before 1st Jan: 48 points from 24 games

1st Jan onward: 27 points from 22 games

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Be interested to see this for the last few seasons. We usually bottle it in the New Year, just wondering how bad Rowett’s winter was compared to others. 

7 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Be interested to see this for the last few seasons. We usually bottle it in the New Year, just wondering how bad Rowett’s winter was compared to others. 

17/18

16/17

Before 1st Jan: 40 points from 24 games

15/16

1st Jan onward: 30 points from 22 games

14/15

Before 1st Jan: 45 points from 24 games

1st Jan onward: 32 points from 22 games

13/14

Before 1st Jan: 44 points from 23 games

1st Jan onward: 41 points from 23 games

12 hours ago, RamNut said:

12 months.

the results started to dip after jan 2018. Yet alot of Derby fans were still singing about "we've got Gary Rowett" in late March. Others had had enough much earlier.

the pot-heads were spooked by Derby fans laughing at them. As far as i can tell the football at stoke was nowhere near as dull as what we watched. However his coccksure arrogance was ultimately his undoing. The Bojan comments killed him.

I missed them, what did he say?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No nor forgotten that either, nor the fact that we had performed equally badly in the second half of the seasons preceeding the arrival of Rowettball. 

32 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Looks like they're going with Nathan Jones. 

Pissed off for Luton. Stokies reaction seems to vary from underwhelmed to, oh well, it can't be any worse and it might be slightly exciting. 

I don't know what George Thorne did in a past life but it must have been bad to warrant this much bad luck.

14 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Yeah, anyway, Nathan Jones. 

I have a friend who used to have a snake called Nathan, so the ?  theme continues. 

Who the duck names a pet Nathan

Archived