Would you welcome John Terry if he followed Lampard?

Rample

On 29/05/2018 at 18:16, jimbobram said:

What would be the point ? He would only be here to for wages. I'd rather have someone who wants to make a career here

I think where Frank is concerned and the same must go for JT they are at the stage of building a reputation in management/coaching at their age

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the wages he's likely to be on, from a playing point of view, I'd rather persist with Davies and Keogh and spend the moolah elsewhere to strengthen the team. However, he could have a sort of commander in the field type role to play for Lampard which could prove invaluable.

Tough call, on balance, I'd want him to slash his wage demands to consider it.

36 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

I think where Frank is concerned and the same must go for JT they are at the stage of building a reputation in management/coaching at their age

Which is why I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he doesn’t end up replacing Jody Morris in charge of Chelsea academy for his first gig, similar to Gerrard cutting his teeth at Liverpool.

23 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Let's be honest. Terry even at his age is still a very good player. He certainly has the experience.

If he came he will definitely want to play for Lampard. However can he take orders from a friend? That could be the problem.

Hopefully he would be professional enough to be able to handle it

I'd have thought one of the positives of bringing Terry in, is that he wouldn't need to be coached or told what to do. He's that good.

If anything Lampard knows that Terry would coach the defenders around him during games.

I read somewhere that Terry would be a similar signing now as to what Mackay was back in the 70s - a true leader of men.

I can only see it as a positive if he comes in. Especially for the younger boys training with the first team.

27 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

I'd have thought one of the positives of bringing Terry in, is that he wouldn't need to be coached or told what to do. He's that good.

If anything Lampard knows that Terry would coach the defenders around him during games.

I read somewhere that Terry would be a similar signing now as to what Mackay was back in the 70s - a true leader of men.

I can only see it as a positive if he comes in. Especially for the younger boys training with the first team.

I totally agree wit the leadership and professionalism.

Friendships are built on circumstance and that part of your life when you are in certain situations.

I have no doubt if he did come it would be of a huge bonus both on and off the field.

I just worry about that friendship when it comes to taking orders etc (I can only allude to the military, if a mate gets promoted they are usually moved away as they can no longer be both your mate and expect you to jump when asked)

9 minutes ago, northantsram said:

Would anybody be happy if we sold Curtis Davies to Stoke for say £2m and brought John Terry in on a year deal (at a reduced wage) ? May be a good shout to allow a few more pennies for a rebuild.

Only if we bought someone like souttar to build for the future with the money.

but I’d still prefer Davies, Keogh and (souttar) to be our 3 CBs next season

2 hours ago, northantsram said:

Would anybody be happy if we sold Curtis Davies to Stoke for say £2m and brought John Terry in on a year deal (at a reduced wage) ? May be a good shout to allow a few more pennies for a rebuild.

Would want more than £2m with Stokes money, but yeah. Get cash, get JT in 1 yr deal and find a youngster for him to bring through too!

1 minute ago, SuperFrankieL said:

I reckon he could be a good option but as a player coach and on a coach's wages. Anything other than that wouldn't really be worth it or rather wouldn't be feasible.

Yeah, I agree with this. While this isn't directly us 'building for the future', he was a world class defender in his prime and would be good to have around developing the young talent we have and will hopefully bring in. 

Archived