Lampard too expensive?

Topram

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If it was any other club, you could foresee this being a rip roaring success.

But it’s us. It’s Derby County. So we know what’s going to happen, don’t we. ?

Lampard was an accomplished footballer, one of the modern day greats for club and country, but if I shot down Bris’s dream of appointing Seedorf on the basis it would be an expensive, high profile gamble, I can hardly endorse Lampard.

If it’s a choice between Dean Smith and Lampard, I hope Mel takes the safe option and goes for Smith.

He seems a much more obvious fit.

He does. Head says Smith, but heart says "lol yeah sure Frank Lampard why not"

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We might be over-emphasising the importance of the role of manager. 

The job has many facets and lack of experience will find him out in some areas but he should have a good eye for a player  technical skills and tactical nous having played at top level under some of the best coaches in the world. 

He knows the media and his name will attract people to the club.

I know good players rarely make good manager but he might just be the exception.

Straight off too of my head: Venables, Hoddle (England), Pep, Ancellotti, Simeone, Luis Enrique, Zidane....all seem to say top players can make great managers. 

Who's to say until he has a chance. 

Like I said straight away...gamble but at least an exciting one.

Let him be an assistant first and learn how to run a football club.  This is utter madness. He doesn't even yet have all his badges. 

I still think this has all been sparked by a bloke on Twitter saying his Dad saw him at Morley Hayes.  No major news outlet yet reporting it?

I should think this isn't his kind of job either. He'll want to spend money.

Can't see Lampard, who will have plenty of job offers, coming here to trim the squad and work with the bare minimum. Fair play if he does, just a huge challenge to take on in your first job.

13 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

He does. Head says Smith, but heart says "lol yeah sure Frank Lampard why not"

You can see us getting stung somehow.

We appoint Smith, and Lampard joins another club and is a revelation leaving us in the dust.

We appoint Lampard, and it’s an unmitigated disaster, while Smith guides Brentford into the top six.

In both cases, you can see us ending up with egg on our face.

It’s the Derby way. ?

Just now, Tombo said:

Also, anyone else getting flashbacks to Clement a little bit? First management job, lots of contacts in the game, worked with high profile guys, will use us a stepping stone?

Bit familiar

Clement was a cockney car salesman. Always expected to see him in a sheepskin coat at Arthur Daley motors. He just seemed to follow Ancelotti around like Kevin bond used to follow John bond. 

Would hope Lampard has more about him than Clement. We're only a stepping stone if he does well here so plenty of incentive for him

21 minutes ago, feisty said:

Let him be an assistant first and learn how to run a football club.  This is utter madness. He doesn't even yet have all his badges. 

I still think this has all been sparked by a bloke on Twitter saying his Dad saw him at Morley Hayes.  No major news outlet yet reporting it?

Badges my @rse ,,, means not a jot to whether you’ve got what it takes to be a good manger ,, how many badges did the great managers of the past have? How many out there with all the badges under the sun but couldn’t manage a big dinner ? 

Badges smadges 

Just now, archied said:

Badges my @rse ,,, means not a jot to whether you’ve got what it takes to be a good manger ,, how many badges did the great managers of the past have? How many out there with all the badges under the sun but couldn’t manage a big dinner ? 

Badges smadges 

I assume Clement had more badges thank a cub scout but was still ****

26 minutes ago, feisty said:

It's not the Boy Scouts. 

Can't see us getting a Manager in work as we won't want to pay any compensation so doubt it will be Smith...so it will be a novice like Frank or a journeyman like Big Mick....as for the excitement everyone keeps mentioning...perhaps I am just too old.....

3 minutes ago, timmo said:

I assume Clement had more badges thank a cub scout but was still ****

You can imagine clement on weekends out and about covered in them like them crazy badge people you see ,,,, telling passers by and strangers in the pub how he got each one and how ronaldo and co just loved his badges ,, in fact he could show you his phone contacts to prove it ,,, while the missus gives you that look that says why do you always attract the nutter on the bus

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

You mean we are into our 10th successive season in the second tier..... a stepping stone of a team nowadays..... I’m thinking you’re alluding us to be “big”??

Size is a relative term. I think you’re projecting.

33 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Also, anyone else getting flashbacks to Clement a little bit? First management job, lots of contacts in the game, worked with high profile guys, will use us a stepping stone?

Bit familiar

First thing I said to one of my mates.

It has all the hallmarks of Clement mark 2.

But I hope my gut feeling and that of many others is wrong, because this move has gained a lot of traction in just 24 hours.

Hope I’ll be singing ‘Fat Frank’s Black and White Army. DCFC’ as he elevates us to runaway title winners.

A boy can hope. ?

It will be interesting to see what turn Mel might take now.  Given the financial circumstances as l understand them, and the player churn probably now necessary, if l were him l might go for the sanity appointment of McCarthy.  My instincts are, however, that the vanity appointment of Lampard will be very, very appealing to him.

8 hours ago, philmycock said:

Let’s be honest, none of them have a clue about football, business yes, but football????

Roy Mac could play, one of the best, but as a manager, tripe, he nearly didn’t get Burton in the league.

Hey! He got Burton up - not Clough, but Roy Mac. After all our crashing and burning under pressure its a cheek to say how easy it is to get promotion!

2 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Frank Lampard would be a diasaster. Why do clubs of Derby’s size who claim to be ambitious so often try to appoint people with NO managerial experience based on reputations in other fields of the game? Phil Brown and Paul Clement were wonders, weren’t they? It NEEDS to be someone experienced at this level and who knows how to maximize players potential.

Yeah because managers with experience have been equally successful, you know like Nigel Pearson and Paul Jewell. 

The truth is what a manager has done, or not done, before has absolutely no effect on whether they are successful. Any manager appointment is a gamble. 

If Lampard is playing hardball over money in negotiations for what would be his first managerial job, that sets alarm bells ringing for me.

If true, he clearly has a sense of entitlement based on his playing career, even though he is a complete novice in his new chosen field. Rather like Giggs who seemed to think he could walk straight into the Man Utd job because he was a great player.

Fair play to Gerrard, who was willing to learn his craft with Liverpool's youth team, where he presumably wasn't earning 150K a week. 

Archived