Lampard too expensive?

Topram

2 minutes ago, ramblur said:

What's that got to do with John Kirkland? Clough and Taylor resigned.

His grandad...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Derby_County_F.C._(1967–present)

“Without the distraction of European football removed, hopes where high that Derby would enter the 1973–74 season as title contenders, but the increasingly fractious relationship between Clough and the board came to a head following a 1–0 victory over Manchester  Old Trafford on 13 October 1973. The club were 3rd in the table at the time. Two days later, Clough and Taylor resigned their positions as Derby County manager. Clough and Taylor had briefly resigned 18 months previously in April 1972, to take over at Coventry City before Longson offered them more money, and Clough's burgeoning media personality went at odds with what Longson wanted from his manager. Following the game at Old Trafford a director called Jack Kirkland demanded to know what Taylor's role within the club and the pair, feeling undermined, left their role after six and a half years in charge.”

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ramblur said:

Did John Kirkland question the role of Peter Taylor? If part of your family tree did something wrong, would you expect to be blamed for it?

Yes. I’d ******* hate my grandad if he’d made Brian Clough leave the mighty Rams and take Forest to a double European Cup win. And as he’s richer than Mel, he owes us!!!! ?

9 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I know John Kirkland has got more wedge than MM. I don't think he's put much into Derby though.

Definitely put some in as an LOG member, and I've a feeling ( though not sure) that he may have been one of a few ( including Lionel and Pete Gadsby) who put something into the original PP build kitty. Admittedly you're not talking vast amounts though.

3 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Yes. I’d ******* hate my grandad if he’d made Brian Clough leave the mighty Rams and take Forest to a double European Cup win. And as he’s richer than Mel, he owes us!!!! ?

You might hate him, but would you be responsible?

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Definitely put some in as an LOG member, and I've a feeling ( though not sure) that he may have been one of a few ( including Lionel and Pete Gadsby) who put something into the original PP build kitty. Admittedly you're not talking vast amounts though.

Yeah he may have chipped in a bit of loose change 

8 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I’d feel like I’d have to make amends, and spend £400m on my beloved club, you reckon he posts on here?

Haven't a clue. John Kirkland should be judged on his own merits, just as Jack Kirkland should be judged on what he did ( including bringing Clough and Taylor to the club in the first place, as a board member). It's sometimes easy to forget that without Longson and the rest bringing them here ( to the tune of 'Sack the board,we want Ward' from fans) in the first place, none of our glory years may have arisen.

'The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones' ( MA/JC/WS)

4 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Haven't a clue. John Kirkland should be judged on his own merits, just as Jack Kirkland should be judged on what he did ( including bringing Clough and Taylor to the club in the first place, as a board member). It's sometimes easy to forget that without Longson and the rest bringing them here ( to the tune of 'Sack the board,we want Ward' from fans) in the first place, none of our glory years may have arisen.

Shame their egos got the better of them, businessmen think they know better than football men, Mel is no different

2 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Shame their egos got the better of them, businessmen think they know better than football men, Mel is no different

Whose egos got the better of who, though. I don't think Pete Taylor liked the idea of resigning (again), and he was right.Brian gambled on their resignations not being accepted, and he was wrong.

9 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Whose egos got the better of who, though. I don't think Pete Taylor liked the idea of resigning (again), and he was right.Brian gambled on their resignations not being accepted, and he was wrong.

All the egos ruined what we had, hopefully Mel’s ego doesn’t affect what we do now

Couldn’t Derby supplement what the club pays Lampard with “external” contracts for marketing, for instance?

Derby’s financial issues are FFP related, not actual shortage of finance.

* This is an example of Australian thinking. It’s why you lot extradited us in the first place.

Frank Lampard would be a diasaster. Why do clubs of Derby’s size who claim to be ambitious so often try to appoint people with NO managerial experience based on reputations in other fields of the game? Phil Brown and Paul Clement were wonders, weren’t they? It NEEDS to be someone experienced at this level and who knows how to maximize players potential.

Well we (MM) has tried most other alleged tested routes!!

Son of the DCFC Hero

Steve Mac - ex player  - Ex England coach - some success in Europe - turned head

Next Alex Ferguson - ahem

Internally - Wassall

New Broom - Pearson!

Back to Steve mac 

then ex player GR - lives locally - hes a Ram you know......now with red and white scarf!

Why not go with new young manager - Frank Lampard has to start somewhere - if he is that adamant that he is going into football management and not staying at home changing nappies.

For me who could inspire our youth in the club, has the pull on some good loanees, get a good solid no 2 behind him. You never know. We've tried most other methods. Offer him an incentivised contract on performance etc - not a lengthy one and get fans behind him

Theory!! another tin hat please

if Fulham lose on Saturday - they will be after him - and they are LONDON based - and will have more of a chance if we don't snap him. (typo - first post said dance not chance - people might have though I was talking about Pardew lol)

Cottagers are saying  - that maybe Jokanavic is to be the next Chelsea manager.

36 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Frank Lampard would be a diasaster. Why do clubs of Derby’s size who claim to be ambitious so often try to appoint people with NO managerial experience based on reputations in other fields of the game? Phil Brown and Paul Clement were wonders, weren’t they? It NEEDS to be someone experienced at this level and who knows how to maximize players potential.

We might be over-emphasising the importance of the role of manager. 

The job has many facets and lack of experience will find him out in some areas but he should have a good eye for a player  technical skills and tactical nous having played at top level under some of the best coaches in the world. 

He knows the media and his name will attract people to the club.

I know good players rarely make good manager but he might just be the exception.

1 hour ago, Yojimbo said:

Frank Lampard would be a diasaster. Why do clubs of Derby’s size who claim to be ambitious so often try to appoint people with NO managerial experience based on reputations in other fields of the game? Phil Brown and Paul Clement were wonders, weren’t they? It NEEDS to be someone experienced at this level and who knows how to maximize players potential.

You mean we are into our 10th successive season in the second tier..... a stepping stone of a team nowadays..... I’m thinking you’re alluding us to be “big”??

If it was any other club, you could foresee this being a rip roaring success.

But it’s us. It’s Derby County. So we know what’s going to happen, don’t we. ?

Lampard was an accomplished footballer, one of the modern day greats for club and country, but if I shot down Bris’s dream of appointing Seedorf on the basis it would be an expensive, high profile gamble, I can hardly endorse Lampard.

If it’s a choice between Dean Smith and Lampard, I hope Mel takes the safe option and goes for Smith.

He seems a much more obvious fit.

Archived