Lampard too expensive?

Topram

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Am staggered this idea is actually gaining some traction.

There a number of challenges with this squad & football club which a number of managers have been unable to solve including an ex-England manager, a man who laid the foundations of a Premiership winning team & an ex-Real Madrid number 2. I have no idea why the next logical step is to give the job to someone with no prior managerial experience on the basis of 'well, everyone has failed...why not. At least he's exciting'. Where's the plan with that? Just wing it?

Lampard's high IQ is also totally irrelevant to the position. Football management involves a whole range of skills - communication & motivation being two of the key attributes that have nothing to do with a MENSA test. 

We need a manager to work to a budget, adopt an attractive style of play & placate a demanding fanbase & chairman. A novice manager will inevitably want to try things & make many mistakes before they settle on a style that suits them - totally understandable but the place to do that is not at Derby County.

Why isn't it? We are an established championship team, what makes us so high and mighty? I would say a well supported championship club is the perfect place. 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rynny said:

They pretty much started and ended with Ancelotti though. 

As his number 2 though surely Surely he would have rubbed shoulders when many a profile managers as mclaren did under jim smith ... you'd think anyway 

13 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Some ******** on twitter reckons he was at Morley Hayes with MM.

I hate twitter.

Don't normally give this kind of stuff a second thought, but Mel Morris was definitely interviewing manager's today (as he was yesterday), so this would make sense.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Agree with many points in your post, but I’m not sure about this one. If we are due a slashing of the wage bill, a dampening of expectations will come with it. The remit will be slash the wage bill and keep us in the top 21 next season. That is arguably an environment ripe for a young manager wanting breathing space to make mistakes. 

I doubt the Lampard rumours are true, but if we’re going to be trimming this summer, we’re going to be able to attract people with something to prove. Our realistic short list will be Has Beens and Not Yets.

Not sure I follow that logic Duracell - surely the whole premise of Lampard being appointed would be to get fans excited that he could take us to the level he played at? I'd say its his only selling point really. Its unlikely he'd arrive & be given 2 years to quietly rebuild the squad in the way that a lesser 'name' would be.

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

Not sure I follow that logic Duracell - surely the whole premise of Lampard being appointed would be to get fans excited that he could take us to the level he played at? I'd say its his only selling point really. Its unlikely he'd arrive & be given 2 years to quietly rebuild the squad in the way that a lesser 'name' would be.

I guess I was looking at it more at his point of view. 

The upside of Lampard is the excitement he’d bring, and possibly his blind naivety could work in our favour.

In other words, crossing our fingers, closing our eyes and hoping for the best.

I think it would be a bigger gamble for us than him. 

I'll judge him on his football. Prior experience is no guarantee of success as seen with Pearson- who a large amount of the fanbase was yearning for at the time. Don't say what he was doing was required either. We saw how quickly Steve McClarren was able to turn it around- arguably to his detriment. Rowett, as well, talked a big game but ultimately didn't back it up with his actions. 

This could go either way- as with any appointment. I'm just glad to have the possibility of somewhat attacking football again next season. Something that provides a bit of entertainment on the matchday.

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Am staggered this idea is actually gaining some traction.

There a number of challenges with this squad & football club which a number of managers have been unable to solve including an ex-England manager, a man who laid the foundations of a Premiership winning team & an ex-Real Madrid number 2. I have no idea why the next logical step is to give the job to someone with no prior managerial experience on the basis of 'well, everyone has failed...why not. At least he's exciting'. Where's the plan with that? Just wing it?

Lampard's high IQ is also totally irrelevant to the position. Football management involves a whole range of skills - communication & motivation being two of the key attributes that have nothing to do with a MENSA test. 

We need a manager to work to a budget, adopt an attractive style of play & placate a demanding fanbase & chairman. A novice manager will inevitably want to try things & make many mistakes before they settle on a style that suits them - totally understandable but the place to do that is not at Derby County.

This is a good post...and you're right...even I'm buying into the dream a tad and the excitement and getting a bit carried away maybe but i think its because all of us so want DCFC to do well but you are dead right....i wonder if any of the fans will be  quite so enthusiastic a few months into the season and the novelty has worn off and we are getting beat on a rainsoaked midweek night in Wigan because there manager ( Paul Cook ) is streetwise and knows his way around a bit.... Lampard openly admits he has a lot to learn and i'm still really not sure that this is a correct pathway.

My initial reaction was....are you taking the piss....then i thought...could be really good and got excited by it ...then thought reality is it could be disastrous....but...i guess all that could be said about an experienced manager too......one thing is for sure...his odds are shortening and bookies rarely get it wrong

5 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Since when was ******** a swearword?

Since I put it in an asterisks. Just to be clear, the following words are swearwords:

and finally - I shouldn’t have to say this, but some need reminding - ******.

So can we all please avoid these.

7 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Why isn't it? We are an established championship team, what makes us so high and mighty? I would say a well supported championship club is the perfect place. 

Like I say in my initial post, this is a difficult job & is more difficult than recent years because of the FFP restrictions. We've also had a number of near misses so fan expectations are high.

Whilst we may be an established second tier club, there are pressures at Derby that wouldn't apply to many other clubs in this division. Incidentally, I would think him unsuitable for Leeds, Villa, either Sheffield club or Forest too.

Can see it now - Christine ends up hosting the morning show on Radio Derby whilst Frank takes training. Telliing us all about a lost tabby cat, a post office that closed in 1964 and talking with old farts about whether it's cream and then jam on scones or vice versa.

Personally I could never understand a bleeding thing she was saying.

Archived