Lampard too expensive?

Topram

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

If Lampard is playing hardball over money in negotiations for what would be his first managerial job, that sets alarm bells ringing for me. 

Actually if he was not prepared to negotiate over his terms I would be far more worried. Do you really want a snowflake who just takes what he's given, how is that going to work with motivating the players, or having to put up with rubbish transfers?

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Actually if he was not prepared to negotiate over his terms I would be far more worried. Do you really want a snowflake who just takes what he's given, how is that going to work with motivating the players, or having to put up with rubbish transfers?

The negotiations might be over the backroom team he wants to bring with him.

As a newcomer I would imagine he would want people with experience and people he trusts.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

The negotiations might be over the backroom team he wants to bring with him.

As a newcomer I would imagine he would want people with experience and people he trusts.

Lampard , Jody Morris and Glenn hoddle as dof would be cool

42 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If this has any legs it would be incredibly risky- intresting but very very risky 

I like the idea if a) the structure behind is right or dof, chief scout

b) there’s a 2-3 year plan where lampard wants to learn and see the job through. Worst thing would be another boom or bust manager looking to make a name for himself

7 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Alot of people saying no to giving Lampard a go. 

But rather than just saying 'no, he has no experience', give me a name of who you do want and who you think would be a better and more exciting option?

Exactly this.

Couple of thoughts for the day. 

1. Lamps did his coaching badges at Chelsea earlier this year - in an era where clubs have so many coaches including a high number of ex players, why didn't they offer him a position in their youth set up (of course they could have done but he rejected it)

2. I forgot about Frank Senior, who had about 8 years as West Ham assistant and was Football Consultant to Brendan Rodgers at Watford and Reading. Another good sounding board, so maybe the director of football isn't essential

3. I reckon he can turn George Thorne into a young version of himself.

54 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Ever the optimist , if it's one thing I've learnt about being a Rams fan of late you can't look into things to deeply , go with the moment.

I just don't see why Mel would even contemplate it.

If Lampard wants to manage a top Championship club, then let him work his way up. He should spend a couple of years coaching at somewhere like Barnet and then try to get a club like Accrington Stanley promoted. Then he'd be a decent candidate for the Derby (or Forest, Ipswich, Norwich, Sheffield x 2, Fulham etc) job.

If you were the Chairman of a major sportswear company, would you hire a recently retired, successful swimwear model with no business experience as your new CEO? You might, if since retiring she'd got an MBA and spent four years developing a successful marketing career in a smaller competitor, but hiring her with absolutely no experience? If you did you'd be hiring her because she had smooth legs and a nice bum. That's what Mel would be doing if he appointed Lampard.

I'm all for hiring an up-and-coming manager. I was a loud advocate for Nigel Clough's appointment and I'd be very happy if we hired Cowley from Lincoln. But I absolutely don't want a 'cant-be-arsed to work his way up but still think I'm worth more than Ipswich can afford big time Charlie with no CV' kind of manager.

This looks like David Platt's appointment at Forest. It's an appalling idea. If we're going for ex-players who sound like they might have a clue, then why not Craig Ramage? He'd likely be rubbish too, but at least he'd be cheaper and if he proved OK, he might stick around for a whole season.

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

If Lampard wants to manage a top Championship club, then let him work his way up. He should spend a couple of years coaching at somewhere like Barnet and then try to get a club like Accrington Stanley promoted. Then he'd be a decent candidate for the Derby (or Forest, Ipswich, Norwich, Sheffield x 2, Fulham etc) job.

If you were the Chairman of a major sportswear company, would you hire a recently retired, successful swimwear model with no business experience as your new CEO? You might, if since retiring she'd got an MBA and spent four years developing a successful marketing career in a smaller competitor, but hiring her with absolutely no experience? If you did you'd be hiring her because she had smooth legs and a nice bum. That's what Mel would be doing if he appointed Lampard.

I'm all for hiring an up-and-coming manager. I was a loud advocate for Nigel Clough's appointment and I'd be very happy if we hired Cowley from Lincoln. But I absolutely don't want a 'cant-be-arsed to work his way up but still think I'm worth more than Ipswich can afford big time Charlie with no CV' kind of manager.

This looks like David Platt's appointment at Forest. It's an appalling idea. If we're going for ex-players who sound like they might have a clue, then why not Craig Ramage? He'd likely be rubbish too, but at least he'd be cheaper and if he proved OK, he might stick around for a whole season.

Only if the swimwear model had big.......

9 minutes ago, archied said:

Lampard , Jody Morris and Glenn hoddle as dof would be cool

There goes the disabled fans' access.

6 minutes ago, Rample said:

Couple of thoughts for the day. 

1. Lamps did his coaching badges at Chelsea earlier this year - in an era where clubs have so many coaches including a high number of ex players, why didn't they offer him a position in their youth set up (of course they could have done but he rejected it)

2. I forgot about Frank Senior, who had about 8 years as West Ham assistant and was Football Consultant to Brendan Rodgers at Watford and Reading. Another good sounding board, so maybe the director of football isn't essential

3. I reckon he can turn George Thorne into a young version of himself.

So No 3 your basically saying that including his coaching badges, he's also become a plastic surgeon???

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Yes, the analogy I was going to use was recruiting a really good, top class in fact Brickie with no management experience to become the CEO of a big Construction Company.....

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

You don't need experience in everything. I became a Dad from the first time of trying. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Alot of people saying no to giving Lampard a go. 

But rather than just saying 'no, he has no experience', give me a name of who you do want and who you think would be a better and more exciting option?

I don’t get the excitement around Lampard. I like the bloke but he has zero management experience and it was only a few months ago that he was being linked to League 1 level clubs like Oxford. Personally I’m not interested in our club being a former Premier League footballers vanity project. We need someone with experience and who is proven in building successful teams that play good football. My choice would be Paul Cook but I assume he’s not in the running as he doesn’t appear in the betting odds. The likes of Dean Smith would be a better option than Lampard.

Archived