Lampard too expensive?

Topram

12 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

To be honest, the thing you see as a positive, I see as a negative. For my two cents, seems we're getting a little starstruck with the idea of Mr. Frank Lampard himself managing Derby County. People talk about his image attracting good players, etc. That's one heck of an assumption. It also begs the question, who exactly are we trying to attract? Our squad is already bloated with ex-Prem journeymen. We don't need more expensive mistakes.

Furthermore, it's fair to say the best squad we've had in the last few years was the Clough-built / Schteve-managed 13/14 squad. A team made up of lower league gems (Buxton), homegrown youth (Hughes), castaways (Martin) and scottish pedigree (Bryson). IMO, what DCFC need now is a manger to follow that template – someone with experience working in lower leagues who know's how to spot an up-and-coming player able to step it up. It's cheaper. It's less risk. And when it works it's a joy to watch. 

Have to agree....

We need to probably get a grip of ourselves and think what is actually good for the club and our progress.

Lampards very glam,but what does he actually bring to the table other than us being able to brag about him to our mates?

If it happens,then great and it could miraculously be fantastic but getting  the right structure in place then getting  in the right manager has to come first.

Getting Frank in has all the hallmarks of a massive letdown,not far down the line... again.

Or not,who knows?

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

To be honest, the thing you see as a positive, I see as a negative. For my two cents, seems we're getting a little starstruck with the idea of Mr. Frank Lampard himself managing Derby County. People talk about his image attracting good players, etc. That's one heck of an assumption. It also begs the question, who exactly are we trying to attract? Our squad is already bloated with ex-Prem journeymen. We don't need more expensive mistakes.

Furthermore, it's fair to say the best squad we've had in the last few years was the Clough-built / Schteve-managed 13/14 squad. A team made up of lower league gems (Buxton), homegrown youth (Hughes), castaways (Martin) and scottish pedigree (Bryson). IMO, what DCFC need now is a manger to follow that template – someone with experience working in lower leagues who know's how to spot an up-and-coming player able to step it up. It's cheaper. It's less risk. And when it works it's a joy to watch. 

Which is why I think mick McCarthy fits all the billing and the situation we are in ( might also do well with Lawrence) he saved Ipswich countless times and got Sunderland and wolves promoted and can spend hardly anything and put out a competitive team 

peoples concern about how he plays his football are open to interpretation but as usual you use what you have at your disposal and get the best from them. I am very open minded about his possible arrival at this point in time for Derby county 

10 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

It's not the old ex prem players I think he'd attract tho. Maybe one of 2 who knows.  But mainly I think using the loan system, young players would want to play for Frank lampard. And if he brings Jody Morris then he's got a great reputation for working with youngsters. 

Managers like Mick McCarthy or someone of that mould that knows the lower leagues as you say, tend to bring in the players they've managed before and can trust. And honestly I'm fed up of that. I want fresh ideas. To me playing it safe is accepting mid table at best. I'm too ambitious for that

3 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

It's not the old ex prem players I think he'd attract tho. Maybe one of 2 who knows.  But mainly I think using the loan system, young players would want to play for Frank lampard. And if he brings Jody Morris then he's got a great reputation for working with youngsters. 

Managers like Mick McCarthy or someone of that mould that knows the lower leagues as you say, tend to bring in the players they've managed before and can trust. And honestly I'm fed up of that. I want fresh ideas. To me playing it safe is accepting mid table at best. I'm too ambitious for that

To be fair mick McCarthy has given stacks of chances to all kinds of youngsters from his own clubs and on loan 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Which is why I think mick McCarthy fits all the billing and the situation we are in ( might also do well with Lawrence) he saved Ipswich countless times and got Sunderland and wolves promoted and can spend hardly anything and put out a competitive team 

peoples concern about how he plays his football are open to interpretation but as usual you use what you have at your disposal and get the best from them. I am very open minded about his possible arrival at this point in time for Derby county 

How long ago did he get them promoted though? He's spent the last 5 or 6 years managing in a way that if he finishes 12th it would be one heck of a season. Football has changed so much and so quickly since he was a promotion winning manager. Similar with Martin o Neill. He hasn't been in club football for so long. 

I'll back whoever gets the job. I always have and always will. ( I even tried my best to get behind Pearson and that was difficult) but I'd rather have lampard with a passion and desire to succeed than a manager who cud fail and just fall into another job with a struggling team in 6 months time

I love all this to-ing and fro-ing about Lampard - see how excited we all are already?!

I have often thought that interviewing potential managers alone is a bit of a missed opportunity. Most 'Managers' these days have their own team, who may, I suspect, be a big part of their philosophy and approach to management.

For example, how much of Rowett's drab, defensive outlook was influenced by his three drab assistants? We'll only know that if he doesn't take them with him but abandons them here!

I think Managers are increasingly the personality in charge, rather than the sole general. In that case, providing he has a good team behind him, Lampard could be as good a choice as any for Manager. he would certainly impress the players (important) and bring his football contacts into play.

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Please no...good mate of mine is a life long Ipswich fan...he says Big Mick's style of play makes GR's look like the old Gooners......terrible brand of football....

1 minute ago, TaylorRam84 said:

How long ago did he get them promoted though? He's spent the last 5 or 6 years managing in a way that if he finishes 12th it would be one heck of a season. Football has changed so much and so quickly since he was a promotion winning manager. Similar with Martin o Neill. He hasn't been in club football for so long. 

I'll back whoever gets the job. I always have and always will. ( I even tried my best to get behind Pearson and that was difficult) but I'd rather have lampard with a passion and desire to succeed than a manager who cud fail and just fall into another job with a struggling team in 6 months time

I am with you with all you say but a 12th place finish in the championship for the likes of Ipswich was fantastic whilst selling all your best players and having nothing to spend 

i was very apprehensive of Pearson because we had very good footballers in my opinion at the time and chaos was the result but I feel McCarthy would be very sensible in everything he did and he was also very loyal to Ipswich until the fans became agitated with him but based on what he had to deal with I expect Ipswich to probably be in serious relagation troubles this season

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I voted for Smith, but after giving it more thought I think Mick would be the right man at this point in our history, seems to get the best out of players at his disposal and can work on limited funds, he could be very good for us right now.

22 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Have to agree....

We need to probably get a grip of ourselves and think what is actually good for the club and our progress.

Lampards very glam,but what does he actually bring to the table other than us being able to brag about him to our mates?

If it happens,then great and it could miraculously be fantastic but getting  the right structure in place then getting  in the right manager has to come first.

Getting Frank in has all the hallmarks of a massive letdown,not far down the line... again.

Or not,who knows?

I'm not bothered about bragging to my mates though. My closest mates are stoke fans so they are unbearable when it comes to football. 

I just want some excitement back around the club. It's be so down for years now and it doesn't seem to be changing. And it won't while we keep making the same safe decisions. 

What if we make a 'safe' appointment like McCarthy and it turns into a disaster? Is rather make a choice that yes, could be a risk, but at least there's the possibility of getting something better out of it. Not just accepting that we are going to have to watch boring defensive football for another year or so and aim to finish mid table

31 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'd be more inclined to demand knowledge of the appropriate use of apostrophes.

Not if you were a Brickie you wouldn’t 

Just now, Hector was the best said:

I voted for Smith, but after giving it more thought I think Mick would be the right man at this point in our history seems to get the best out of players at his disposal and can work on limited funds, he could be very good for us right now.

Me too based on the football we watched and I am sure most of us want the Mac 1 football again but we need a steady hand currently but whoever gets the job I hope for success and enjoyment but we have a tough twelve months coming up 

1 minute ago, TaylorRam84 said:

My closest mates are stoke fans so they are unbearable when it comes to football.

Feel that pain.

Showing them a picture of the trophy cabinet usually shuts the f cukers up. Recent success means nothing if you have nothing to show for it, and the Micky Mouse cup aside, they've never won anything.

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Never mind frank lampard ,if McCarty is in the frame I would rather take frank spencer 

25 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Mick isn't quite right for me either. I love the guy's soundbites – but considering how divisive RowettBall was, Mick's style would be even more of a backward step in that regard. 

And with regards to Lampard – again, lots of assumption. Playing devil's advocate here, they may come because they want to play for Lamps, but that doesn't mean Lamps will automatically know how to get them playing (and by "playing" I mean "playing attractive, match-winning football"). Going off his total lack of experience at any level, I'd say that's probably the more realistic outcome. 

For me, Lampard is a massive, massive gamble. Considering we've already gambled so much of late (overspending on players / hiring & firing managers willy-nilly), I'd prefer us - for once - to take the sensible option. 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am with you with all you say but a 12th place finish in the championship for the likes of Ipswich was fantastic whilst selling all your best players and having nothing to spend 

i was very apprehensive of Pearson because we had very good footballers in my opinion at the time and chaos was the result but I feel McCarthy would be very sensible in everything he did and he was also very loyal to Ipswich until the fans became agitated with him but based on what he had to deal with I expect Ipswich to probably be in serious relagation troubles this season

But I dont want to be aiming for 12th place. We dont need to sell our best players. We need to cut the wage bill and with about 25 first team players at the club getting rid of any number of them will do that. Doesn't have to be the best ones. 

5 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Mick isn't quite right for me either. I love the guy's soundbites – but considering how divisive RowettBall was, Mick's style would be even more of a backward step in that regard. 

And with regards to Lampard – again, lots of assumption. Playing devil's advocate here, they may come because they want to play for Lamps, but that doesn't mean Lamps will automatically know how to get them playing (and by "playing" I mean "playing attractive, match-winning football"). Going off his total lack of experience at any level, I'd say that's probably the more realistic outcome. 

For me, Lampard is a massive, massive gamble. Considering we've already gambled so much of late (overspending on players / hiring & firing managers willy-nilly), I'd prefer us - for once - to take the sensible option. 

Wasn't Rowett the sensible approach? And Pearson?

6 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Lampard - Like any manger - won't bring players in and try to get them to play his way. All mangers bring in the players that play a certain way. That would fit in. He hasn't been off the face of the earth for the last few years. Apart from a very small stint in America he's always been in England and no doubt watching and studying as much football as he can as he knows he wants to go into management. He hasn't just decided over night. He'd only take the job if he felt it was right for him

Archived