Lampard too expensive?

Topram

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rynny said:

The truth is what a manager has done, or not done, before has absolutely no effect on whether they are successful.

To say that what a manager has done before cannot guarantee success would be a fair statement but to say it has absolutely no effect on whether they are successful or not is a strangely naive statement.

I can't think of a worse appointment than Lampard. Why would we want someone who has never even been a coach?

If he fails, he"ll fail expensively. All his playing experience is with clubs that have spent money like water. His likely mentor has a proud record of bankrupting clubs.

On the other hand, if he succeeds in getting us into the top 6 by Christmas, he'll be off when PL clubs start sacking managers in the new year.

13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I can't think of a worse appointment than Lampard. Why would we want someone who has never even been a coach?

If he fails, he"ll fail expensively. All his playing experience is with clubs that have spent money like water. His likely mentor has a proud record of bankrupting clubs.

On the other hand, if he succeeds in getting us into the top 6 by Christmas, he'll be off when PL clubs start sacking managers in the new year.

Ever the optimist , if it's one thing I've learnt about being a Rams fan of late you can't look into things to deeply , go with the moment.

Whatever happens we won't be going down. Too many fans still have this illusion that we are owed promotion or playoffs. Yeah, Lampard might lead us to mid-table, but let's be honest are we really going to get higher in our current state anyway?

Personally I find this exciting. Someone new, rather the same old appointments.

We need fresh blood in football and the championship is an ideal place to cut teeth. 

Great level of football and all the stresses of the premier league, it not more. 

Any appointment is a risk, but Lampard at the club would be good for our profile, could possibly bring on the youth and could inspire the first team. 

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Woke up to see that Twitter has gone loopy with the Lampard love - WTF?

At least if it happens it will be the nudge I need to cancel my season ticket and do something better with my £400

I’m the opposite..... more reason to keep it. Rangers took a “risk” with Gerrard.... and Lampard for me has his head screwed on more than the scouser.

Fed up of all these “romance” managers / former players etc - it’s not worked with any of them. It’s time for a fresh approach and a new age Derby County. ?

1 hour ago, Yojimbo said:

To say that what a manager has done before cannot guarantee success would be a fair statement but to say it has absolutely no effect on whether they are successful or not is a strangely naive statement.

Why is it? Just because something worked well at one club doesn't mean it will work at another, and because something didn't work doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere. The only way it can effect previous experience has is whether or not the manager questions his methods and tries to do it differently.

2 minutes ago, Redcar said:

I’m the opposite..... more reason to keep it. Rangers took a “risk” with Gerrard.... and Lampard for me has his head screwed on more than the scouser.

Fed up of all these “romance” managers / former players etc - it’s not worked with any of them. It’s time for a fresh approach and a new age Derby County. ?

Hmmm - much easier to take a risk when you're Rangers and playing in a league with a load of minnows. A far easier job than that which would await Lampard at Derby

I dont understand why people think Lampard is switched on - he always came across to me like the archetypal thicko footballer

A fresh approach it may be, but one I'd rather watch go wrong from a distance thanks.

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

Hmmm - much easier to take a risk when you're Rangers and playing in a league with a load of minnows. A far easier job than that which would await Lampard at Derby

I dont understand why people think Lampard is switched on - he always came across to me like the archetypal thicko footballer

A fresh approach it may be, but one I'd rather watch go wrong from a distance thanks.

Google him and you'll find his IQ is far higher than you credit him with.

Whoever it is, has to bide their time, and fans have to be appreciative of the fact that only 3 left and were out of contract this summer, whereas next summer half the squad is out of contract, and then a real shift in squad names can begin if need be.

11 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Rangers took a risk with Gerrard...tad too soon to say that worked isn't it??

19 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Woke up to see that Twitter has gone loopy with the Lampard love - WTF?

At least if it happens it will be the nudge I need to cancel my season ticket and do something better with my £400

Good news is that if we appoint Lampard, there will be more than enough people who'll be picking up the season ticket slack, enjoy naval gazing in front of Sky on your tele.

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Always personal choice ,,, sad you would stop watching derby if lampard given the job but in fairness it seems the numbers who would stop watching because of lampard compared with rowett staying is a big indicator and it seems many more are actually energised by the possible appointment of lampard and would be encouraged to get into or back into going to games ,,, you can5 please everyone 

Archived