Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Or maybe people are unhappy when we lose and happy when we win?

Noones saying we were perfect tonight, but we beat a very good side, so I think there’s a lot to be pleased about. Just got to beat them again!

That is - literally - my entire point.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

I want the names and addresses of all the fans who chose not to go tonight and watched it on the tv instead - they're not allowed to come to Wembley. 

This is a dangerous tactic Mrs! I’ve an 0300 alarm to look forward to, yes I’m wide awake with a real buzz after watching that (on tv). I live 50 miles away, not as far as many who will have been there tonight I know and I applaud them all near or far. Had a season ticket for many years when Saturdays were easier to sort . Midweek cup replay v Southampton away.... Callaghan winner I believe after ET, 2230 hrs leaving the ground for an 0500 alarm in Stockport next morning, I was driving too, mate had to keep talking to keep me awake, ahh the memories. Point of all that is it’s easy to use a seat in front of the box as a cop out but for many it’s our only chance to enjoy The Mighty Rams. 

Oh god, I was joking - I'm not taking everyones names and addresses really, it would take me ages and be boring af - you can all come to Wembley, 

PistoldPete2

We seemed to be playing for time a bit... Did the players not know there's a second leg? Anyway we hung on , probably good psychologically that we didn't concede a late goal. Maybe with fresh legs again for Monday we can get an early goal which would really put pressure on fulham. we need another goal as I don't think we can stop fulham from scoring on Monday. 

20 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Not whining, just pointing out the fall in standards from what we see as a good performance.

Under McClaren we played entertaining football on the front foot at home. This kind of football is remeniscent of the Billy Davies percentage football era. I don't think this type of football is sustainable in the long term. And that point was the general feeling of this very forum during our bad run in March/April. But now that seems to have been parked because we've made the playoffs.

I'm sorry if my opinion was made in a heavy handed fashion, but I'm just trying to say that, ultimately, all many fans appear to be bothered about is results. Irrespective of whether the style of play will produce results long-term or not. 

But thanks for the outright aggression.

I see your point entirely and I think it’s a crying shame we didn’t go up in 2014 - we were on to something special.

That said, promotion changes everything, regardless of how we are currently playing. We can attract different kinds of players and different managers with the money we’d get and the stage we’d be playing on.

If we go up, playing the way we are playing currently, we would be favourites to finish bottom and rightly so. But it’s a long summer and a lot can change.

Football is about getting carried away and the playoffs does funny things to you. Enjoy the moment. 

Can I just say, I haven’t enjoyed Rowett’s style of play at all this season but one thing separates him from recent managers - he’s willing to adapt.

I would argue that the changes to our system and personnel came too late, but the fact it came at all is significant and it’s evidence that we have a manager who is learning from mistakes. How often have we seen managers falling on their sword because they’ve failed to make the right sort of changes, even when it is abundantly clear that it isn’t working?

There remains the possibility that Rowett could completely change our style of play once more to something more enjoyable, or at least a willingness to find tactics and formations which suit the players available to us best.

Rowett has had a disastrous coupe of transfer windows, but got us up to 2nd by just about managing to fit square pegs in square holes with what he had. Injuries, poor form and tactical naivety led to us nearly finishing outside the playoffs but 3–6-1 came at the right time to give us results and confidence going in to the playoffs.

That’s good. 

Just got back in....

My thoughts...

Great atmosphere and noise despite the lowly attendance of just over 27k...the south and east stands made lots of noise throughout the game.

The team worked it's socks off.....they have no choice given our tactics but they all put a shift and a half in.

I thought wisdom,Curtis and Lawrence were outstanding....not sure why Hudders was mom,when those three were so good?

Vydra looked lost again in that position....I would have liked to see Palmer given a go to be honest..

Anya was bloody good when he came on...made incisive tackles and some great crosses into the box...we were just too defensive after the goal to take advantage of them.

It was extremely strange watching Fulham play almost exactly as we used to under McLaren,fluent and with lovely passing and movement....they lacked a hold up player of Martin's class though..I can see why they wanted him last year,it's their main tactic....I was slightly sad that we aren't that kind of team anymore...we did it better than them on pennies.

Tonight was the clearest view of rowetts vision of football that I've seen this year...it's not what I want to see in a Derby team to be honest,,soaking up pressure and breaking but it's Gary's way and it looks like we are stuck with it,so I'm going to have to go with it i suppose...at least,at its best,it's exciting when it goes right.

Great to go into the second leg on a slight advantage....but we need to be on the front foot more at craven cottage,I'd go back to last week's set up against Barnsley to be more impactive.

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just got back in....

My thoughts...

Great atmosphere and noise despite the lowly attendance of just over 27k...the south and east stands made lots of noise throughout the game.

The team worked it's socks off.....they have no choice given our tactics but they all put a shift and a half in.

I thought wisdom,Curtis and Lawrence were outstanding....not sure why Hudders was mom,when those three were so good?

Vydra looked lost again in that position....I would have liked to see Palmer given a go to be honest..

Anya was bloody good when he came on...made incisive tackles and some great crosses into the box...we were just too defensive after the goal to take advantage of them.

It was extremely strange watching Fulham play almost exactly as we used to under McLaren,fluent and with lovely passing and movement....they lacked a hold up player of Martin's class though..I can see why they wanted him last year,it's their main tactic....I was slightly sad that we aren't that kind of team anymore...we did it better than them on pennies.

Tonight was the clearest view of rowetts vision of football that I've seen this year...it's not what I want to see in a Derby team to be honest,,soaking up pressure and breaking but it's Gary's way and it looks like we are stuck with it,so I'm going to have to go with it i suppose...at least,at its best,it's exciting when it goes right.

Great to go into the second leg on a slight advantage....but we need to be on the front foot more at craven cottage,I'd go back to last week's set up against Barnsley to be more impactive.

Yes this is good. 

26 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I don't see why I'm a hypocrite.

You're the one who appears to be saying my opinion isn't valid. I'm trying to say that debate is the point of a forum, but that all it really boils down to in terms of this forum is whether we have won or not.

You are behaving in quite an unreasonable and aggressive manner.

Your opinion is valid as I've stated in several posts, the incessant need to piss on peoples' chips is incredibly wearing though. Perhaps you can't grasp that fact? Folk have taken joy from tonight's performance but because of that, you seem to think they can't see the team's shortcomings. That's mighty arrogant of you.

The fact is, they're just trying to take some joy from what is for many, a major passion in life. They're not stupid, and mocking them for being fickle after a winning play-off tie seems just as unreasonable as I appear to you. When you talk about 99% of fans being 'fickle' has it not occurred to you that they might just be happy tonight? You chose to set yourself aside and above them so forgive me if upsetting you is the least of my concerns tonight. If we lose on Monday, you'll doubtless nod sagely to yourself and point out that you saw it coming. Should that be the case, I trust it will give you more pleasure than tonight's game. 

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You shoould take the data anyway, marketing companies will pay good money for it these days.

I don’t think my ‘find friends’ would be worth much   Mr zuckerberg or whatever his name is can sleep soundly tonight ? 

We did a job on Fulham, they were only going to score from long range or from our mistakes. They are good on the eye but So are Brentford and several other sides in the championship. I expect more from them at the cottage and it will be a tough battle down there. They do however leave lots of space at the back, we should of took advantage of it several times tonight. All of our players played well, Davies is too good For this league. I hope we don't park the bus on Monday, we can win this, if we believe. 

Putting Vydra out wide quite clearly doesn’t work for him. He wasn’t effective at all there. To me it looked like Laurence was given the ‘free’ role. I would rather Laurence out wide and Vydra a free role, hopefully finding himself just behind Jerome/nugent

2 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Putting Vydra out wide quite clearly doesn’t work for him. He wasn’t effective at all there. To me it looked like Laurence was given the ‘free’ role. I would rather Laurence out wide and Vydra a free role, hopefully finding himself just behind Jerome/nugent

Both were behind Jerome. Neither was “out wide” nor in a “free role”

Archived