Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

Had a quick peek at the Fulham forums, there's a fair amount of praise for our manager getting his tactics spot on and being a much better tactician than their manager! There's probably more praise for rowett than on here.

Pretty interesting given that a couple of weeks ago a number of our fans would have been delighted to swap managers with them. 

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Topram said:

I felt bad giving everyone high?

Haha no worries topram ...IMO everyone done really well last night but Davies was awesome ...I don’t think it’s sustainable to think we can go to there place and defend for 90 mins ...was nerve racking second half last night ...looked better when saw replay of game this morning 

16 hours ago, David said:

Beautiful. That’s how you win football matches. 

Pass pass pass, where you going? Nowhere. Take your possession percentage and stick it in your trophy cabinet if that’s what floats your boat, we’ll just give it to Camram Jerome and stick it in your net ?

Yeah because it didn’t get Man City anywhere did it??? We defended really well but I know what style I’d rather watch...with what Rowetts got at his disposal the game plan was executed brilliantly but still think possession based pass pass football as you call it achieves more long term and is better to watch...I don’t think we can go there and defend for 90 mins and let them have 75% of the ball but last night was exceptional...in 12 months time and with 2 more windows under his belt and if we are in play offs again ( if we don’t go up of course ) Id like  to see us dictating the game more and not just playing on the break ...second half was nerve racking and not sure it’s good for your health lol....roll on Monday hope our older players are not too knackered COYR 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Had a quick peek at the Fulham forums, there's a fair amount of praise for our manager getting his tactics spot on and being a much better tactician than their manager! There's probably more praise for rowett than on here.

Pretty interesting given that a couple of weeks ago a number of our fans would have been delighted to swap managers with them. 

Fulham mate of mine texted me to say the same - saying Rowett has sussed them out - first time they have had a shut out in 4 months. Locking up Mitrovic and keeping the wingers tamed

6 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

January transfers window looking less like a disaster now CamJam has come into form.

Meant more in terms of losing Russell and then lookman messing us round and missing out on the hull winger

23 minutes ago, Saity said:

Yeah because it didn’t get Man City anywhere did it??? We defended really well but I know what style I’d rather watch...with what Rowetts got at his disposal the game plan was executed brilliantly but still think possession based pass pass football as you call it achieves more long term and is better to watch...I don’t think we can go there and defend for 90 mins and let them have 75% of the ball but last night was exceptional...in 12 months time and with 2 more windows under his belt and if we are in play offs again ( if we don’t go up of course ) Id like  to see us dictating the game more and not just playing on the break ...second half was nerve racking and not sure it’s good for your health lol....roll on Monday hope our older players are not too knackered COYR 

Man City and their £50m a pop players, how about Burnley who are in Europe next season without seeing much of the ball. 

47 minutes ago, Saity said:

Haha no worries topram ...IMO everyone done really well last night but Davies was awesome ...I don’t think it’s sustainable to think we can go to there place and defend for 90 mins ...was nerve racking second half last night ...looked better when saw replay of game this morning 

I couldn’t watch mate was too nervous paid 25 pound to watch my phone instead of the game! No we need to score 100% i still have them slight favourites but we have put ourself in a great position! 

6 hours ago, SKRam said:

Maybe take them abroad for some warm weather traini........ oh hold on we’ve tried that. No, pamper by all means, maybe a decent pad down south, so they can acclimatise to the London climate

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57 minutes ago, CheltenhamRam said:

There's some really weird/misplaced arrogance on the Fulham forum. 

I will have to go and have a look .....

I saw a relative of mine last Monday, a Fulham fan longer than I have been on the planet I think. He was in an odd mood - all sort of bitter that they hadn't made the autos. Usually fatalistic and philosophical about his clubs fortunes, but it was if he had lost the play-off final in the last minute to a massively controversial penalty.

Haven't spoken to him today, I imagine he is lying in a darkened room.

1 hour ago, David said:

Man City and their £50m a pop players, how about Burnley who are in Europe next season without seeing much of the ball. 

Would you rather Derby played like Man City or Burnley?? It’s not all to do with money ...Btw I don’t remember Burnley getting promoted by having 25% possession ...this team reminds me a bit of BD’s team but as I said done fantastically well last night...if in a years time we are playing the same style relying on break aways that would not be good enough for me ...but with who we have managed the game well last night 

Exceptional defending from the whole team. Loved watching the Davies and Mitrovic battle - Curtis was superb and to be fair to Mitrovic he didn't throw himself to the ground claiming free kicks- both players just have a good old fashioned battle. 

12 minutes ago, Ramaway said:

Exceptional defending from the whole team. Loved watching the Davies and Mitrovic battle - Curtis was superb and to be fair to Mitrovic he didn't throw himself to the ground claiming free kicks- both players just have a good old fashioned battle. 

I thought Mitrovic did exactly that for the whole of the first half! Second half he was better and tried to play pivot but Curtis had him sussed all game.

38 minutes ago, Saity said:

Would you rather Derby played like Man City or Burnley?? It’s not all to do with money ...Btw I don’t remember Burnley getting promoted by having 25% possession ...this team reminds me a bit of BD’s team but as I said done fantastically well last night...if in a years time we are playing the same style relying on break aways that would not be good enough for me ...but with who we have managed the game well last night 

I bet your point, I too would like free flowing fancy football. Over the season that's what I'm sure we all would like to see. That being said, this is the play offs and it really doesn't matter how you win, as long as you do. No special points for being fancy dans as Fulham found out

9 hours ago, 86 points said:

Fair enough mate - I appreciate you taking time to explain that and I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat. To be fair, I've not noticed you being (what I perceive as) particularly negative at any point until last night and I think much of my ire should have been directed elsewhere. I understand fully that for many fans, the style is as important as the result, sometimes more so, but I'm just the kind of impossible simpleton who can't help but be pleased to see the team do well, irrespective of the performance. This season has been tricky on the forum as it's been so divisive - I still can't really get my head around why, but the polarity of thinking has really been quite marked. This said, I do actually believe that recently we've seen signs of better football in the pipeline anyway and I hope next season will bring a quality of football as well as a level of results that all of us can be proud of. It'd be grand if that were evidenced on Monday night and then at Wembley but as usual, I fear I'm just dreaming too much.

Appreciate the response mate. Thanks for that.

I think you're right when you say the football has been improving lately (I wonder how much this is to do with the switch to 3 at the back, which seems to suit us much better than the old system). We beat Cardiff by not resorting to their style, for example. Incidentally, I think they will get hammered next season..

The forum has been very divided - I think it's a reflection on how we've won ugly many times this season, and how that has only been tolerated whilst results have been good. For me I always want us to play good football (I accept that's not always possible depending on playing staff) - not only for the entertainment value itself but also because if you play poor football and you start to lose, you're left with no consolation. In essence that's why WBA got rid of Pulis - the results weren't great and they just couldn't stand to watch that stuff anymore.

I've been reflecting on last night today, and I came to the conclusion that, had last night been the away leg, I'd have been delighted with that tactic. I love a good defensive performance. And that was probably as disciplined a defensive display as anyone will have seen this season in the Champ. I'd just rather not see it at home!

48 minutes ago, Saity said:

Money helps buy the players which allow you to not only dominate football matches but stick the ball in the net. Man City have lots of it. 

Counter attacking football can be both successful and entertaining. I’ll take that over keep ball in the middle of the pitch. 

17 minutes ago, David said:

Money helps buy the players which allow you to not only dominate football matches but stick the ball in the net. Man City have lots of it. 

Counter attacking football can be both successful and entertaining. I’ll take that over keep ball in the middle of the pitch. 

I agree as Clement got us playing keep ball for the sake of it and was so dull to watch ....I just want us to be able to hold onto the ball and dictate a bit more ...I don’t think it’s sustainable David to achieve success without having the ball ...I don’t want to see us nicking  goals I’d rather see us on the front foot more but understand Rowetts tactics last night ...

19 minutes ago, David said:

People moaned about Clement football, McClaren football when it went badly, Pearson "football", Rowett's football, Nigel Clough's football....

Being a good Rowettball side will be better than being a duff possession side or an easily beaten flair side. Might not be as good as being a good flair side, but better than being a rubbish one.

Archived