Derby County F.C. v Fulham FC

Boycie

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

I agree as Clement got us playing keep ball for the sake of it and was so dull to watch ....I just want us to be able to hold onto the ball and dictate a bit more ...I don’t think it’s sustainable David to achieve success without having the ball ...I don’t want to see us nicking  goals I’d rather see us on the front foot more but understand Rowetts tactics last night ...

Any style of football played right is sustainable though, Leicester another example lifted the PL trophy with little possession countering sides.

We have been pushed back in games where it's been purely defending, but it's a work in progress, one which this summer should improve on

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, David said:

Money helps buy the players which allow you to not only dominate football matches but stick the ball in the net. Man City have lots of it. 

Counter attacking football can be both successful and entertaining. I’ll take that over keep ball in the middle of the pitch. 

Pretty sure our squad cost more than Fulham’s but your right counter attacking to feet can be entertaining I just think we gave them to much respect last night. But a great defensive display with everyone putting a shift in.

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Pretty sure our squad cost more than Fulham’s but your right counter attacking to feet can be entertaining I just think we gave them to much respect last night. But a great defensive display with everyone putting a shift in.

True, but that money wasn't really spent by Rowett.

I just think once we get to being really good at being the team he sees us as being it'll be a whole lot more balanced (possession, attack, defence, risk) and consistent. At the moment we're doing the best we can - if it come down to who was better at playing the way fulham do, it'd be fulham.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

True, but that money wasn't really spent by Rowett.

I just think once we get to being really good at being the team he sees us as being it'll be a whole lot more balanced (possession, attack, defence, risk) and consistent. At the moment we're doing the best we can - if it come down to who was better at playing the way fulham do, it'd be fulham.

Fulham remind me of us a few years back totally dominating games playing possession football and always give you a chance at the back. I think if we are brave on Monday and don’t sit to deep we will get chances and stop treating them like Barcelona they’re a good side but don’t let them dictate the game so much. Come on you rams ???

I find it incredible that people talk about our possession (or lack of) stats as if we give the ball to the opposition so that they can do what they want with it. We don’t give the ball up for Christ’s sake. We give up terrain, getting into shape and defending incessantly. The opposition spend ions passing between midfielders and defenders but without breaking us down. We attack quickly when we get the ball, therefore we either score or give up possession quickly. I’ve said it many times already on this forum, but if played effectively counter attacking football is far prettier than passing for passing’s sake.

I am not bothered how we play on Monday, it is only the result that matters. Fulham lost in the semis of the Play Offs last year, they lost against Baum when they had to win for autos and they have lost against us in the first leg. We will get one or two good scoring opportunities. If we score one, then they need three goals or two goals and penalties to win. One clinical stroke/scuffed shot type goal should be enough for us. Massive performances by all our players are required. Barring bizarre own goals and diabolical refereeing decisions against us, I think that we will draw the second leg and go through to play Villa, who looked very strong today.

I thought Fulham played well tbh. Had a couple of great chances and Carson played well when required. They were the away side after all.

We did great to win but it’s hard work watching us defend for almost a whole half. Me nerves are gone!

But give me a 0-0 defending master class on Monday and I’ll be happy. 

Gary should show em the vid of England v Italy 1997 in Rome. That’s the sort of epic performance we need.

5 hours ago, CheltenhamRam said:

There's some really weird/misplaced arrogance on the Fulham forum. 

Probably reasonable given that they finished 3rd & dominated possession (if not chances) last night. I'd be surprised if that was representative of the whole fanbase though - they seem very down to earth for a London club.

I got chatting with a couple of Fulham fans on the way back to Leeds last night - they were very apprehensive about Monday. Apparently one of their relatives had spoke to Tom Cairney after the Birmingham defeat & he'd openly said the players were terrified of failing that day - which is what they promptly did. The club are also very conscious that this is their last season with parachute payments (they fall under the old system) & that they'll have to cut their cloth accordingly if they miss out - will inevitably mean this side will break up & a drift down the division.

I think there's going to be a lot of pressure on Fulham on Monday - our job is to crank that up as much as possible. An early goal would make the atmosphere very interesting indeed.

3 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Think you get that on any club forum. Including this one. 

I don’t bother reading other club’s forums, but I imagine that like ours there are fans ranging from “everything we do is brilliant” to “everything we do is *”. We’ve got them (no names). Every club will have them.

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, archied said:

Meant more in terms of losing Russell and then lookman messing us round and missing out on the hull winger

Yes I think the loss of options for wide players has been a shame especially as we are trying to play with wing backs now. 

PistoldPete2
51 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We are third favourites to get to the Premiership.?

Only third? Behind who else apart from villa? 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

The Wembley squad cost less than Vydra, to be fair

And to be fair that squad took how long to build ? and at the cost of the original builders job ? 

PistoldPete2

We have always got to Wembley when we have  won the first leg of the play offs. Beat milwall home and away in the 1990s before losing to fester. beat Southampton aaway in the first leg to get to Wembley and beat west brom. Beat Brighton home and away to get to wembley before losing to qpr. 

Just saying. 

13 hours ago, ossieram said:

They've got a couple of days of rest where they can be pampered and have all the recovery treatment the club can give. Mel should treat them to a day at Bubbles spa where they can be rubbed up and down and have all the extras they want.

Agree with the rest and massage but not sure about the 'extras' - our team need to save their energy for Monday night!

Archived