Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Presbyopia (age-related long sightedness)! All the forty-somethings will either know or soon learn of its delights.

I've always had brilliant eye sight until last year when I started to struggle to read small print, then larger print, then the computer screen. I eventually put aside my natural pig-headedness and paid my first ever visit to the opticians and ended up with reading glasses which are a pain in the arse.   

6 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

Presbyopia (age-related long sightedness)! All the forty-somethings will either know or soon learn of its delights.

I've always had brilliant eye sight until last year when I started to struggle to read small print, then larger print, then the computer screen. I eventually put aside my natural pig-headedness and paid my first ever visit to the opticians and ended up with reading glasses which are a pain in the arse.   

You know it's inflicted you when you start to read small print at arms length. 

Get annoyed when someone asks me for a ride somewhere, but have no directions to said place, or after passing a street I was supposed to take stop chattering and say, "Oh, you were supposed to take that left back there." How in the heck was I supposed to know that? Shut your mouth, look up the directions of where you want to go, and direct me; I'm not psychic.

Bouts of bad luck / enforced expenditure.

Someone scraped the nearside wheel arch of my car in a supermarket carpark. I eventually got a bloke out to do a touch-up job a couple of weeks ago. He did a nice job but it set me back £120, cash in hand.

A couple of days later, the fan gave up the ghost on the oven. Built in job, where you need to get the back off. Got another local bloke who's very reasonable and did it the next day,(after the supplier had provided him with the wrong fan to start with). Another £58.

About a week later, the central heating system packed up. Good news – it's summer (sort of), Bad news - both the wieless controller and the receiver proved to be caput. I managed to buy a new set up, same brand, more advanced, off eBay for £40 + p&p (Screwfix price £128), and spent an afternoon sussing out that the old receiver was indeed as faulty as the transmitter, but we can now heat the towel rail!

Last night, the wife's heart-rate monitor went on the blink, in fact, no display at all. It has an integral battery charged via USB. Looks like a new one will be in the offing.

Add to that I dropped my phone on a stone path last Thursday and bashed the corner in. Everything still works but I've only had it a few weeks.

Also, one of a pair of wall lights broke last week, and a like-for-like replacement is costing me another £45. I was told I was lucky because they're now obsolete but they just had an odd one left. Lucky!

Of course, this is all on top of the £3K+ I'm committed to for having the block paving done later this month, and the fact that the wife has insisted that we have the 'utility room' made more respectable (another £1700 + labour).

And they say things come in threes.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Someone scraped the nearside wheel arch of my car in a supermarket carpark. I eventually got a bloke out to do a touch-up job a couple of weeks ago. He did a nice job but it set me back £120, cash in hand.

A couple of days later, the fan gave up the ghost on the oven. Built in job, where you need to get the back off. Got another local bloke who's very reasonable and did it the next day,(after the supplier had provided him with the wrong fan to start with). Another £58.

About a week later, the central heating system packed up. Good news – it's summer (sort of), Bad news - both the wieless controller and the receiver proved to be caput. I managed to buy a new set up, same brand, more advanced, off eBay for £40 + p&p (Screwfix price £128), and spent an afternoon sussing out that the old receiver was indeed as faulty as the transmitter, but we can now heat the towel rail!

Last night, the wife's heart-rate monitor went on the blink, in fact, no display at all. It has an integral battery charged via USB. Looks like a new one will be in the offing.

Add to that I dropped my phone on a stone path last Thursday and bashed the corner in. Everything still works but I've only had it a few weeks.

Also, one of a pair of wall lights broke last week, and a like-for-like replacement is costing me another £45. I was told I was lucky because they're now obsolete but they just had an odd one left. Lucky!

Of course, this is all on top of the £3K+ I'm committed to for having the block paving done later this month, and the fact that the wife has insisted that we have the 'utility room' made more respectable (another £1700 + labour).

cliffhangerI2.jpg

My wonderful fun loving dog that insists on digging a hole in the grass right at the top of the steps. 4th piece of home made turf this year. And the little minx won't let me sweep up without biting the brush and barking till I'm half deaf 

4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Screwfix has become a right rip-off company as far as prices are concerned!

On 25 July 2016 at 00:00, BondJovi said:

This one is for @Alpha

Driving from Sheffield along Baslow road, I saw sprayed on the road.. "BMWs are ****". I can't help but feel they mean the drivers of such cars rather than the vehicles themselves.

People who start to change lanes, pull in front of you and decide to signal after nearly completing the maneuver when you have no choice but stop or slow down for them. Indicators...to indicate your intentions not to confirm the crap I just saw!

Why did they write that BMWs are four stars?   Everyone knows they are 5 star cars    :ph34r:

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Drivers who pull up next to my car in the car park and park with just enough gap my drivers side for me to have to literally ingest myself in order to get into it. Thanks for that. Occasionally I've had to get in the passenger side and get across to the drivers seat.

Do you not realise that person was one of those people who are far more important than the rest of us? They come from the 'im alright jack' school of good manners and consideration to others.