Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The transfer 'update' thread that contains no updates other than the fact that we might sign someone.

Ha yeah its like the BBC News having an article saying 'BREAKING NEWS - It will go dark after sunset tonight'

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The transfer 'update' thread that contains no updates other than the fact that we might sign someone.

Transfer threads that descend into a punfest. Usually a sign that it's all B S anyway.

Converstaions like the one I heard in Sainsbury (Fosse Park) yesterday between a woman who looked like an off-duty part-time toilet cleaner, and an Asian shelf stocker, who was too polite to ignore her, expounding on the fact that Leicester would win the Champions League this coming season

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Transfer threads that descend into a punfest. Usually a sign that it's all B S anyway.

There is only one thing worse than a transfer thread descending into a punfest - and that is a transfer thread not descending into a punfest - Oscar Wilde.

20 hours ago, Anon said:

People don't remove their hats when they are indoors. We may as well just hack off our legs and crawl back into the primordial soup.

hats indoors I can cope with, sunglasses on the other hand!!! I get an almost uncontrollable urge to punch the sh** out of people who do it...

58 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Converstaions like the one I heard in Sainsbury (Fosse Park) yesterday between a woman who looked like an off-duty part-time toilet cleaner, and an Asian shelf stocker, who was too polite to ignore her, expounding on the fact that Leicester would win the Champions League this coming season

She obviously takes her job home with her and carries on shifting ****

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

People who still use the word "whilst", as though we're all still living in the eighteenth century. There is no instance in the English language where "while" isn't perfectly fine.

Betwixt. Great word, if a little old hat. Bet you hate it.

22 hours ago, Anon said:

People don't remove their hats when they are indoors. We may as well just hack off our legs and crawl back into the primordial soup.

Even more irritating are the ones that eat with their hats on. No manners, no respect for the food.

3 hours ago, Cisse said:

Even more irritating are the ones that eat with their hats on. No manners, no respect for the food.

Rather like the gentleman my colleague overheard in a restaurant.  'Do you mind if I eat while/whilst you're smoking?'

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Ha - i have noticed on here people can get quite upset by criticism of grammar, so it is a bit odd to be criticised for using correct grammar, but yes you are correct while and whilst and generally interchangable, unless of course its written by our american cousins who will never use the word whilst.

I am sure in years to come people will criticise me for using the word 'you' when 'u' has become perfectly fine too.

So true Paul .. Language evolves and once something as accepted by the majority in common usage it becomes right virtually by definition. 

my gripe isn't old words, forms or even new ones .. It's the ones that don't make sense .. Things like "Could of" and the mixing of their and there .. This sort of thing, when used in the wrong, way can lead to misunderstanding and therefore inaccurate communication. The other thing about correct forms is that it can be a clue to sniffing out Cowboys in a commercial sense. Phishing emails .. If the English is bad then it's a clue to potential wrong uns .. So maintaining a standard form is a type of protection and security. 

15 hours ago, jono said:

So true Paul .. Language evolves and once something as accepted by the majority in common usage it becomes right virtually by definition. 

my gripe isn't old words, forms or even new ones .. It's the ones that don't make sense .. Things like "Could of" and the mixing of their and there .. This sort of thing, when used in the wrong, way can lead to misunderstanding and therefore inaccurate communication. The other thing about correct forms is that it can be a clue to sniffing out Cowboys in a commercial sense. Phishing emails .. If the English is bad then it's a clue to potential wrong uns .. So maintaining a standard form is a type of protection and security. 

Don't get me started on people saying "off of" instead of "from"......

Sith Happens
56 minutes ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

Don't get me started on people saying "off of" instead of "from"......

or Loose instead of Lose

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, McLovin said:

:whistle::ph34r:

Ha - i do have a convertible but it has to be like 20 degrees before i will have the roof down.