Would you sack Rowett if we lose on Sunday?

Mostyn6

Would you sack Rowett if we LOSE on Sunday Vs Barnsley?  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

General expectations on here were a 7th to 10th place finish with playoffs regarded as a bonus. On that basis alone, it would be perverse to sack Rowett for not making the top 6 on a pure results based basis.

Clearly some want Rowett gone for stylistic reasons so will conflate a final day collapse with their own objectives. I'm not pretending the style has been great all season but this is clearly a team in transition, not a final product. Its reasonable to see how Rowett can deliver his stated ambition of being a high pressing, energetic team next year - which means an important summer ahead.

There's no point going down this road with Rowett, just to tear it up just because we expect success in a year. Successful teams evolve & require patience. Keep changing managers & we're just going be stuck in this Championship Groundhog Day with Forest, Leeds, Sheff Weds et al for the next 10 years too.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, cannable said:

Your first point would be valid if your second point was true 

I feel like people are getting confused between rebuilding and wheeling and dealing. Every move Rowett has made in the transfer market has been made with the view of improving the team in the short term and going up this season. 

The idea that this season has been some kind of rebuild is a complete myth.

I have seen plenty of his style of football at Burton Albion and at Derby, and was also never impressed with what he put out at Birmingham either. I don't like his football, he may well be a talented coach but his football bores me. I have come to the conclusion that he was tainted by the crap that John Beck put out at Cambridge where he started his career. It can gain points but I want to see football on the ground not the dire rubbish that he is subjecting us to. Apart from that he is ok. ?

No, I wouldn't sack him.

What's the point of this thread, when he's not going to be sacked no matter what happens in the game against Barnsley.

He maybe didn't deliver everything what he promised at the beginning of the season, but to sack him now at this stage, it's simply unreasonable to ask when the season is almost over.

14 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

General expectations on here were a 7th to 10th place finish with playoffs regarded as a bonus. On that basis alone, it would be perverse to sack Rowett for not making the top 6 on a pure results based basis.

Clearly some want Rowett gone for stylistic reasons so will conflate a final day collapse with their own objectives. I'm not pretending the style has been great all season but this is clearly a team in transition, not a final product. Its reasonable to see how Rowett can deliver his stated ambition of being a high pressing, energetic team next year - which means an important summer ahead.

There's no point going down this road with Rowett, just to tear it up just because we expect success in a year. Successful teams evolve & require patience. Keep changing managers & we're just going be stuck in this Championship Groundhog Day with Forest, Leeds, Sheff Weds et al for the next 10 years too.

General expectations were on the basis of Rowett saying that we were looking at buying young players with high energy, pace and power. If that had happened most on here would be willing to give Rowett to continue to build on his team that could evolve and improve together, in reality we mainly signed players that are in their 30s, towards the end of their careers to look to get that instant promotion, players to help get us over the line. Expectations from the end of last season to start of this season and throughout the season change with the actions of the club, signing players like Jerome to "get us over the line" raise fans expectations. Results also have an effect on expectations. Take Sheff Utd and Bristol City, top 8 for most of the season now down is 10th/11th do you think they are happy with how their seasons have gone? Should they be happy to look like they will achieve a play off place, or maybe with a bit of good fortune into the automatic places, after spending so much time near the top? After all they would have been happy with a top half finish in pre season, even after the first couple of months, but after spending so much time in the top 6? After we drew 0-0 with Bristol City in January they were 4th and now 10th, are they happy with this season, did their expectations stay at a happy with mid table?

32 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I have seen plenty of his style of football at Burton Albion and at Derby, and was also never impressed with what he put out at Birmingham either. I don't like his football, he may well be a talented coach but his football bores me. I have come to the conclusion that he was tainted by the crap that John Beck put out at Cambridge where he started his career. It can gain points but I want to see football on the ground not the dire rubbish that he is subjecting us to. Apart from that he is ok. ?

John Beck did have a long ball style with Dublin and Claridge etc but he did have some success at lowly Cambridge in fact a lot of promotions. To equate Rowett to Beck is wrong. I mean does Nigel’s teams play like Brian’s Forest and Derby teams . 

Rowett is his own man with his own ideas. 

http://theinsideleft.com/john-beck-cambridge/

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

General expectations were on the basis of Rowett saying that we were looking at buying young players with high energy, pace and power.

Did he? Genuine question.

Those type of players IMO would have been out of our reach, financially, which is why we ended up with who we have done.

27 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Those type of players IMO would have been out of our reach, financially, which is why we ended up with who we have done.

Depends where we are shopping for young and hungry.. I am pretty sure that was what was said although different words might have been used. My impression was we would be buying potential, maybe not from Chelsea & Man City etc but from a decent scouting network and an academy that one assumed was on the verge of producing something. 

It appears we dont have a decent scouting network as some spreadsheet told Rowett that the only place european players worked was from a small town in Germany and it was pointless looking anywhere else. The academy, also is flattering to deceive, hense operation 'man up' excercise currently being employed.

So we ended up in a charity shop looking at cast offs. 

No, he needs another pre-season, transfer window and until Christmas minimum (preferably the whole season) to make a proper judgment.  I'd only look to change things if we're in danger of going down, which is unlikely.  Rash decisions have put us back season after season and Gary is capable of improving and learning as time goes on - as seen in his recent formation switch up, which has arguably been the catalyst for us to get 4/6 points from two of the toughest possible, high stake games.

4 minutes ago, robglosta said:

No, he needs another pre-season, transfer window and until Christmas minimum (preferably the whole season) to make a proper judgment.  I'd only look to change things if we're in danger of going down, which is unlikely.  Rash decisions have put us back season after season and Gary is capable of improving and learning as time goes on - as seen in his recent formation switch up, which has arguably been the catalyst for us to get 4/6 points from two of the toughest possible, high stake games.

This formation switch, it was 5 at the back really wasn't it, typical Rowett! The rest of your post also has no basis in necessity. We know what we've got and its not what he said, he's delivering what he's always delivered. Don't need to see more to know that.

28 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

A direct quote, probably not, but he said he wanted to add more pace and power to the team and also said that he did not want to buy ageing premier league players on their way down. 

Isn't it ironic that as a fanbase we are quick to hammer Mel for having a trigger finger, retrospectively criticising him for changing manager too often? 

We haven't had one manager that he's sacked NOT come under heavy abuse by the fan base and had some/most agree with his decision at the time. It's another manager who would come away here with a pretty decent record and it would no doubt cause media attention and 'mad mel' leaving questions about who would actually want the job. 

Rowett, for me, has proven himself as a bit of an opportunist in the transfer market. I really hope that changes this summer. We need to add energy to the team, we need to add quality to the team & we need to look to move on those not contributing. It's difficult, because we are close to FFP, but if we can adjust the budget accordingly then we still have room to maneuver. I'll be disappointed if we continue to seemingly buy players based on the low transfer fee and availability.  

39 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yeah he did. He also alluded to not buying premier league castoffs looking for a pay check. I also think your wrong in the assertion that he couldn't buy young players. What he couldn't buy was young established players in the numbers that he wanted that would be able to hit the ground the running. Therefore Rowett, with his primary goal of going up this year, sacrificed the age of players coming and made several short term signings to "get us over the line". 

He could have instead thought I'll sign a few players with potential, blood a few youngsters, flirt with promotion this year but ultimately be planning on pushing for promotion in subsequent seasons.

Well despite my reservations about the quality of the football we have played this season, I have voted no in this and also the previous poll. I'm much more optimistic with this vote though, than the last.

Firstly because the formation change has given the team a much more fluid shape. Yes, it has a tendency to revert to the defensive(early days), but it also produces much more intent going forward by bridging the huge gap we've had all season between defensive midfield and attack. It's taken points against two tough opponents. I want to see it in action against the lesser teams that we've struggled with so far this season.

Secondly because two of Rowett's younger signings, Lawrence and Wisdom, are now starting to find some form and this gives me encouragement for options next season. With Weimann also looking good and Bogle surely a wing back in waiting (moving Wisdom across into the back three) I can see a strong but fluid team even before we start to sign players. 

I want to give Rowett one more window to see whether he will start to deliver on those promises that I think were made before our league position forced him into the quick-fix January window.

Lastly, I quite like the guy and I want him to succeed. 

Of course we're going to win on Sunday so all just theoretical anyway! ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

This formation switch, it was 5 at the back really wasn't it, typical Rowett! The rest of your post also has no basis in necessity. We know what we've got and its not what he said, he's delivering what he's always delivered. Don't need to see more to know that.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

We know what we've got and its not what he said, he's delivering

And that is the central issue for me ^.

I was at the Fans’ forum when he sketched out his vision and it’s actually at variance with what has occurred. Why is that? Is it because:

1. MM told him, sotto voce, “your real remit is just get us up regardless of the vision blurb that we gave the fans”.

2. GR is one of life’s “waxing lyricists” who speak a great game but just do what they always do.

#1 is possible but I have MM down as a man of honour & integrity and don’t think he’d knowingly mislead supporters.

#2 is I’m afraid my conclusion. I like GR, he’s a Ram, and one of us but he’s also the consummate salesman and could actually sell his granny to his grandfather.

I also don’t “get” these folk who keep saying “let him bring his own players in”...so what of Davies, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Winnall, Ledley, Jerome, Wisdom??! ?Not much of an argument really!!

So, no don’t sack him but Do hold him to account at a season’s review fans’ forum. Ie Get Gibbo to play back the tv, Gary you said “young and hungry” then raised the average age of the squad by 9 years. Etc.

?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Well despite my reservations about the quality of the football we have played this season, I have voted no in this and also the previous poll. I'm much more optimistic with this vote though, than the last.

Firstly because the formation change has given the team a much more fluid shape. Yes, it has a tendency to revert to the defensive(early days), but it also produces much more intent going forward by bridging the huge gap we've had all season between defensive midfield and attack. It's taken points against two tough opponents. I want to see it in action against the lesser teams that we've struggled with so far this season.

Secondly because two of Rowett's younger signings, Lawrence and Wisdom, are now starting to find some form and this gives me encouragement for options next season. With Weimann also looking good and Bogle surely a wing back in waiting (moving Wisdom across into the back three) I can see a strong but fluid team even before we start to sign players. 

I want to give Rowett one more window to see whether he will start to deliver on those promises that I think were made before our league position forced him into the quick-fix January window.

Lastly, I quite like the guy and I want him to succeed. 

Of course we're going to win on Sunday so all just theoretical anyway! ?

Bang on the money angie as always! One day you may make history and be the first lady league manager. ?

53 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Bang on the money angie as always! One day you may make history and be the first geriatric lady league manager. ?

Still, I am younger than Warnock - and Roy Hodgson! Er, that's probably about it! 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

And that is the central issue for me ^.

I was at the Fans’ forum when he sketched out his vision and it’s actually at variance with what has occurred. Why is that? Is it because:

1. MM told him, sotto voce, “your real remit is just get us up regardless of the vision blurb that we gave the fans”.

2. GR is one of life’s “waxing lyricists” who speak a great game but just do what they always do.

#1 is possible but I have MM down as a man of honour & integrity and don’t think he’d knowingly mislead supporters.

#2 is I’m afraid my conclusion. I like GR, he’s a Ram, and one of us but he’s also the consummate salesman and could actually sell his granny to his grandfather.

I also don’t “get” these folk who keep saying “let him bring his own players in”...so what of Davies, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Winnall, Ledley, Jerome, Wisdom??! ?Not much of an argument really!!

So, no don’t sack him but Do hold him to account at a season’s review fans’ forum. Ie Get Gibbo to play back the tv, Gary you said “young and hungry” then raised the average age of the squad by 9 years. Etc.

?

???

Archived