Would you sack Rowett if we lose on Sunday?

Mostyn6

Would you sack Rowett if we LOSE on Sunday Vs Barnsley?  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’d send him down the road. I’ve weighed up the recent “revival” and the previous 14 or 15 games and while the recent stuff is welcome, the previous bilge where it looked like the players had just been introduced to each other prior to taking to the field as opposed to training together for the best part of 9/10 months concerns me more than the revival impresses me. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d be interested to know how many people have changed their mind and why, I don’t buy into an emotional swing being responsible for 100 people changing their mind, must be more to it than that.

GR still doesn’t know his best team with one game to go, apart from 25 minutes against both Cardiff and Villa we have been the same as we have been recently, so is it that people have changed their mind or they haven’t taken part in this vote ?

For me, I have abstained, I would never advocate anyone getting sacked and glad someone else has that job, however personally if we don’t get into the play offs if will be a massive failure and the end to what has been a pretty unforgettable season that leaves me with no optimism or enthusiasm for the next.  

Hahaha. These results are laughable. While I understand that people are on a bit of a high after the last 2 games and want to support the team after a couple of somewhat spirited games, if we lose to Barnsley and miss out on the playoffs, a solid 70%+ will want Rowett gone. Especially if the performance is of the mold of the Burton and Sunderland performances.

If we get a 40pt swing after a couple of good(ish) games, it will almost certainly swing back after a defeat to Barnsley. 

My position is - I want us to beat Barnsley, but I want a fresh start next season if they beat us and we miss out on the Play Offs. If we get into the playoffs, while I despise the football, I think he probably has to stay on. God forbid we get rid of a manager after they get us into the playoffs (sorry darren). 

10 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

$64,000 dollar question. IF we went up, he's not the right man, no way will he be able to keep us up with a negative style. IF we stay down, he deserves the right to show he has learnt from the mistakes of this year. With Morris's track record of getting managers in, we might just end up with Mick Mccarthy. 

To be honest the question i have Angry is....do you think Rowett will change our style and approach ??

I was looking at all the tables today, there is not one side IMO apart from us that is going to win the league or be in the play offs that i think play our style of football...... let the opposition have the ball and then sit back and let them dictate while we might get one on the break!!

Against Cardiff second half we opened up more and played an attacking style so we can do it but then i personally thought against Villa we sat back too much and gave them far too much respect.....why?? I want DCFC to be trying to win the league not just hoping to hang on to a play off place.....sitting there watching wave after wave of attacks and possesion against us grates me and would like to see us be a bit more dominant....The arguable question for me is ...can GR change because thats what needs to happen or will he continue to try and get us playing like Burton and Brum??? and Mick Mccarthy!!!!!! i would not touch with a barge pole....please let our next manager when it happens be someone who wants to see us dictate games and play some decent stuff....I really like GR but i just dont see him changing much tbh.....

I’ve voted yes I would. However, after some thought I’d give him till October. Then the decision to keep or sack would be based on strict criteria

1. He brings in some youth, speed, skillfull players and a flair player (talisman) in the window.

2. Our form improves from what we’ve had since January 

3. The style of play rapidly improves too attacking fast flowing exciting football

4. He leaves someone on the half way line when the opposition have a corner.

if all these objectives are achieved I’d keep him.

COYR 

41 minutes ago, Saity said:

To be honest the question i have Angry is....do you think Rowett will change our style and approach ??

I was looking at all the tables today, there is not one side IMO apart from us that is going to win the league or be in the play offs that i think play our style of football...... let the opposition have the ball and then sit back and let them dictate while we might get one on the break!!

Against Cardiff second half we opened up more and played an attacking style so we can do it but then i personally thought against Villa we sat back too much and gave them far too much respect.....why?? I want DCFC to be trying to win the league not just hoping to hang on to a play off place.....sitting there watching wave after wave of attacks and possesion against us grates me and would like to see us be a bit more dominant....The arguable question for me is ...can GR change because thats what needs to happen or will he continue to try and get us playing like Burton and Brum??? and Mick Mccarthy!!!!!! i would not touch with a barge pole....please let our next manager when it happens be someone who wants to see us dictate games and play some decent stuff....I really like GR but i just dont see him changing much tbh.....

Heart says yes because I want him to do well.. Head says not a bloody chance..

Im clinging onto straws here ?

10 hours ago, TimRam said:

Give him 15 games next season and see where we are. Voted No.

Voted yes, because it makes more sense to make the change now rather than 15 games into next season, when we will have wasted the summer window and, effectively, another season. 

I have seen nothing to give me faith that he will move the club forward, on or off the pitch. 

7 hours ago, rynny said:

General expectations were on the basis of Rowett saying that we were looking at buying young players with high energy, pace and power. If that had happened most on here would be willing to give Rowett to continue to build on his team that could evolve and improve together, in reality we mainly signed players that are in their 30s, towards the end of their careers to look to get that instant promotion, players to help get us over the line. Expectations from the end of last season to start of this season and throughout the season change with the actions of the club, signing players like Jerome to "get us over the line" raise fans expectations. Results also have an effect on expectations. Take Sheff Utd and Bristol City, top 8 for most of the season now down is 10th/11th do you think they are happy with how their seasons have gone? Should they be happy to look like they will achieve a play off place, or maybe with a bit of good fortune into the automatic places, after spending so much time near the top? After all they would have been happy with a top half finish in pre season, even after the first couple of months, but after spending so much time in the top 6? After we drew 0-0 with Bristol City in January they were 4th and now 10th, are they happy with this season, did their expectations stay at a happy with mid table?

Can't deny I've been disappointed with the lack of youth/future potential of his signings. Fundamentally though, he's been tasked with getting us up & he's thought (wrongly in my opinion) that bringing in experience would be enough to get us over the line this year. It still might of course.

Regarding fan expectations, it depends who you ask & when. Ask a Sheffield Utd fan 10 mins after last Saturday's defeat to Preston & they'd probably say they were disappointed with 10th place (having been in 2nd). Their fall has been much more pronounced than ours too. On reflection though, I'd be very surprised if many of them expected a playoff campaign 6 months out of League One. Their fans were also very bullish/noisy/happy on New Years Day too, even though they were slipping out of the playoffs at that point.

Similarly, I think we should look at our season as a whole rather than judging our last 10/15 games. Who thought we had a top 2 squad in August? Virtually no-one. Most didn't think we had a top 6 squad but here we are, one point away from finishing 6th. Rowett's at least matched expectation & probably exceeded it slightly - a decent, if unspectacular job so far.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I’ve voted yes I would. However, after some thought I’d give him till October. Then the decision to keep or sack would be based on strict criteria

1. He brings in some youth, speed, skillfull players and a flair player (talisman) in the window.

2. Our form improves from what we’ve had since January 

3. The style of play rapidly improves too attacking fast flowing exciting football

4. He leaves someone on the half way line when the opposition have a corner.

if all these objectives are achieved I’d keep him.

COYR 

How bizarre. So, regardless of how we perform in the first couple of months next season, what players he brings in and how entertaining the football is you'd get rid if we didn't leave a player on the half way line when the opposition have a corner?

Maybe you're not being serious and I've missed the joke.

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Can't deny I've been disappointed with the lack of youth/future potential of his signings. Fundamentally though, he's been tasked with getting us up & he's thought (wrongly in my opinion) that bringing in experience would be enough to get us over the line this year. It still might of course.

Regarding fan expectations, it depends who you ask & when. Ask a Sheffield Utd fan 10 mins after last Saturday's defeat to Preston & they'd probably say they were disappointed with 10th place (having been in 2nd). Their fall has been much more pronounced than ours too. On reflection though, I'd be very surprised if many of them expected a playoff campaign 6 months out of League One. Their fans were also very bullish/noisy/happy on New Years Day too, even though they were slipping out of the playoffs at that point.

Similarly, I think we should look at our season as a whole rather than judging our last 10/15 games. Who thought we had a top 2 squad in August? Virtually no-one. Most didn't think we had a top 6 squad but here we are, one point away from finishing 6th. Rowett's at least matched expectation & probably exceeded it slightly - a decent, if unspectacular job so far.

I'm not basing my opinion on where we finish to be honest, irrespective of where we finish i think the football has been dire.

The Wolves away match and QPR away for example I cannot forget too easily for me as was so poor and not how i'd like DCFC to ever play......

I don't think the negative tactics are sustainable to achieve what we want to achieve, when we went second i remember thinking are we really top 2 material with how we set up ??

I'd be very dissapointed in the game as a whole if teams got success playing so negatively because although we support DCFC and follow them through thick and thin i would say that generally good fast flowing football wins the day in the end.

Man City maybe a very possesion based side but i have found them very good to watch this season, similarly I have found Fulham very good to watch the last 2 seasons and think they were unlucky not to go up last season.

Reading were dull un-imaginative and hard to watch and really glad they did not go up 

48 minutes ago, superzak said:

will hughes looking a world beater for watford against spurs...i will never be a rowett supporter

But but.........hughes has no pace,  can't transition through the thirds quickly enough.....need more athleticism. ....

Arise hudders and ledders ?

Rowett gave himself a mountain to climb when he made that call......odd really, given how cautious every other decision he makes is.

13 hours ago, Moist One said:

Form has been indifferent over the last couple of months, recent games have kept us in the mix for a play-off game and I doubt anyone would want rid of Rowett specifically for losing IN the Play-offs, by that I mean, those that will want him gone if we lose at Wembley are probably already in the Rowett out camp.

We need a point to claim a play-off spot. 

There's a slim chance we could lose and still stay 6th.

BUT, the question is here, given the struggle to motivate the team Vs Wolves, Burton, Sunderland and arguably Middlesbrough, would a defeat against Barnsley, in a game that is effectively "MUST NOT LOSE" spell the end of Rowett if it was up to you?

Tried to keep it simple. Defeat = sack? yes or no

Do you know what, I find this post so depressing.

We currently sit in a playoff spot and we have a post/vote asking if we want to sack the manager? Quiet unreal. I can only imagine what GR would think/feel if he had the misfortune to read.

You are the sort of supporter that will never be happy.  If we won the play offs you would put it down to luck or the football wasn’t expansive for you.

Thankfully, you do not represent the majority of loyal supporters.

5 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Do you know what, I find this post so depressing.

We currently sit in a playoff spot and we have a post/vote asking if we want to sack the manager? Quiet unreal. I can only imagine what GR would think/feel if he had the misfortune to read.

You are the sort of supporter that will never be happy.  If we won the play offs you would put it down to luck or the football wasn’t expansive for you.

Thankfully, you do not represent the majority of loyal supporters.

if you feel depressed, don't project it on to me duck. 250+ people have voted, and the majority of them positively towards Rowett.

Life and reality isn't all sweetness, puppy dogs and roses Pearson, get a grip and stop being such a drama queen!

Said from day one that I don’t like or rate him. However, he’s done more with this squad than I predicted. It’s not the squad I’d have gone with myself, everyone knows I loved Will and Butterfield, proper footballers. I’d have kept those two and never signed Huddlestone. I say that, because Rowett chose to move them on, he didn’t have to. 

However, in the summer I predicted mid table, maybe top ten at a push. Yet here we are. Top six. And yes the football is far too often a very agricultural and unpleasant brand to watch compared to what we are used to, and what we prefer, but it’s worked in essence. You can’t deny that. As a GR critic, I won’t even try. So credit where it’s due. 

And so to answer the question, no I wouldn’t sack him. Because despite me not being a fan of him, he’s done above what I expected. Ridiculous to bomb him for that.

Whatever happens after this season though, I’d like to see a more youthful, pleasing on the eye Derby side. If he can deliver that, he’d grow on me. 

43 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not disagreeing with your post just picking up on the ‘expectation last August bit’. 

Except for the post Wembley period, I never expect us to be up there challenging but I always think ‘will this be our year?’. The 2 promotions with TBE and Davros caught me by surprise. Probably what made them so enjoyable. The post Wembley season was going so well, I got a bit complacent. Then... well let’s not go there.

It’s hard to predict the teams for promotion every season. I think sometimes it’s just meant to be and the manager and players just click for 46 games. The Prem is full of these types of teams now. 

Since ive refrained from giving Gary any criticism (pro or neg) I think it’s let me relax a bit and embrace the owd que sera que sera. It makes me wince reading some of the extreme views on either side of the argument. Even the title of this thread doesn’t sit well with me tbh.

That said, if we lose to Barnsley... ?

44 minutes ago, Saity said:

I'm not basing my opinion on where we finish to be honest, irrespective of where we finish i think the football has been dire.

The Wolves away match and QPR away for example I cannot forget too easily for me as was so poor and not how i'd like DCFC to ever play......

I don't think the negative tactics are sustainable to achieve what we want to achieve, when we went second i remember thinking are we really top 2 material with how we set up ??

I'd be very dissapointed in the game as a whole if teams got success playing so negatively because although we support DCFC and follow them through thick and thin i would say that generally good fast flowing football wins the day in the end.

Man City maybe a very possesion based side but i have found them very good to watch this season, similarly I have found Fulham very good to watch the last 2 seasons and think they were unlucky not to go up last season.

Reading were dull un-imaginative and hard to watch and really glad they did not go up 

Sadly, pragmatic football will win the day more often than not. Huddersfield did go up last year & I thought they were very dull to watch. Three terrible games in the playoffs too but they're still out of the bottom 3 in the Prem. And whilst we remember Man City & the 2003/04 Arsenal side, the title is generally won by the side that grinds out results when they're needed - Fergie always picked Darren Fletcher & Park Ji-Sung to relentlessly hustle for the ball in big matches for Manu for example.

I do agree that fast flowing, accurate football is the way to win football matches though - I also like Derby to be proactive & dominate where possible but also respect a side that sets up to get results in tough away matches. That was one of the reasons I was happy we appointed Rowett (as a marked contrast to previous regimes) as away results at Villa, Cardiff, Boro & Fulham seem to bear out. 

Respect your views on style over results - I'd like a happy medium between the two personally. Accept its been more of the latter than the former this year though but think that will evolve given time.

26 minutes ago, Moist One said:

if you feel depressed, don't project it on to me duck. 250+ people have voted, and the majority of them positively towards Rowett.

Life and reality isn't all sweetness, puppy dogs and roses Pearson, get a grip and stop being such a drama queen!

No problem, I live in the real...I think

But the post is just so unnecessary and projects a negative impact for anybody reading.

Archived