Thorne

oldtimeram

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Even before his injuries his passing ability was poor and that always worried more than anything.  OK, he was good for a while in other aspects of his game,   but I fear that player is gone for ever. 

LOL WUT

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Looks overweight and slow, the game passes him by now-a-days whereas he used to be the one to dictate things.

I'm hoping that he uses the last few months of this season and pre-season to get himself back to where he was, I am worried however that time and injuries have caught up with him (same goes for Fozzy)

It would be a real shame if he never gets back to his best, a fully fit GT could have gone on to great things.

I think this has happened. We yearn for the Thorne of 2014, but I’m afraid injuries have taken their toll & it’s not coming back. We now have Thorne 2018 version which, quite frankly, isn’t good enough 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Now he has players running away from him

I said exactly the same last night, and for a while actually, we have too many players who want to run away from the ball, nobody wants to get hold of it.

There was one point that stood out last night in the first half, Thorne got the ball on the half way line and there was no one in a Derby shirt near him, he had 3 Sunderland players closing him down and you could just see the frustration of not having anyone to pass to.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

We can see with both thorne and forsyth, how hard it is to come back from the injuries they have suffered.

both players should be nowhere near the first team 

they should be the ones out on loan 

This. Expecting Thorne to come back and be the same player straight away was silly. A loan move could have been perfect for him.

He had a poor game last night, and he doesn't look the same player since  his injuries. I really hope he can get back to his best, and really sympathise with his broken leg and knee injury as I've suffered both. His passing looked poor last night and I wonder if looked so poor as he had been instructed to take on the Huddlestone long passing role, but doesn't have the same range of passing. 

He is a shadow of the player he was in 2014/15 and I suspect we won’t see him back to those levels again. Looks bloated and slow and the kindest thing would be to let him go in the summer - he could probably do a job in League 1. Don’t think he’ll ever be good enough for top end of the Championship again sadly.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I said exactly the same last night, and for a while actually, we have too many players who want to run away from the ball, nobody wants to get hold of it.

There was one point that stood out last night in the first half, Thorne got the ball on the half way line and there was no one in a Derby shirt near him, he had 3 Sunderland players closing him down and you could just see the frustration of not having anyone to pass to.

I said exactly this too... however injuries have made him the shadow of the player he once was.

After the Wembley loss I thought there's no chance of signing him. Reasonably fast, incredibly strong, good awareness and nice aggressive passing. 

It's easy to sit in DM and clip balls to the full backs. Easy. What Thorne did was fire the ball through the opposition's midfield line so often. Then he'd go and support his own pass. He often would pop up on the edge of the box.

Now he's slow. Has no balance, takes 5 minutes for the engine to kick in. His passing is only accurate when it's the easy full back pass. Anything else is hopeless. 

Might be completely down to injuries. Might only be temporary. But it's no use to our starting 11. I could turn my car quicker.

He makes Huddlestone look like Fabregas. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Now he's slow. Has no balance, takes 5 minutes for the engine to kick in. His passing is only accurate when it's the easy full back pass. Anything else is hopeless. 

Might be completely down to injuries. Might only be temporary. But it's no use to our starting 11. I could turn my car quicker.

He makes Huddlestone look like Fabregas. 

He's not going to be able to play those types of defence-splitting through-balls when the majority of our forward players are either static or actively running away from him. Ward and Russell ran the lines. Weimann just falls over a lot and Lawrence stands still and waits for the ball to feet. Don't get me started on Jerome...

It’s a great shame to see him performing how he has been but he was dire again yesterday. His touch is miles off and he’s turned into Craig Forsyth passing as well. Sad to see considering how good he once was but he’s got no place in our team until he improves. Huddlestone is miles better at the minute, mind as much as I love Thorne I’m not sure he’s ever been as good as Huddlestone...

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Agree with this. But Thorne of old had options - always Martin, Bryson, Hendrick or Hughes ready and looking for the ball to feet.

Now he has players running away from him so the only option is the Hollywood pass and while old George did these very well, post injury that second and a half it takes him to set himself to play that pass allows the opposition defender to get in place to intercept it.

George isn't anywhere near where he was but the way this team is set up isn't helping him.

George is getting back to where he was - thought he looked less bulky yesterday.

But the problem will be the way we're set up - as angieram says no point in looking for ball to feet, so we've now got ourselves a faster, tougher tackling slightly less accurate Huddlestone.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

George is getting back to where he was - thought he looked less bulky yesterday.

But the problem will be the way we're set up - as angieram says no point in looking for ball to feet, so we've now got ourselves a faster, tougher tackling slightly less accurate Huddlestone.

Quite,these is a reason that players like thorne,Lawrence gets aren't thriving...it's the system they are being instructed to play which just doesn't suit their skills and they are Losing confidence each and every game as a result.

Rowett a good man-manager?

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He's not going to be able to play those types of defence-splitting through-balls when the majority of our forward players are either static or actively running away from him. Ward and Russell ran the lines. Weimann just falls over a lot and Lawrence stands still and waits for the ball to feet. Don't get me started on Jerome...

Weimanm was our best player last night by a country mile

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

Looks overweight and slow, the game passes him by now-a-days whereas he used to be the one to dictate things.

I'm hoping that he uses the last few months of this season and pre-season to get himself back to where he was, I am worried however that time and injuries have caught up with him (same goes for Fozzy)

It would be a real shame if he never gets back to his best, a fully fit GT could have gone on to great things.

I said a while back he was over rated, he has rarely ran the game for me. Looks classy but it is always....'when he's fit', 'when he has the right support' etc. Sitting in front of the back 4 like Beckham almost a quarterback is his position. Not box to box enough otherwise... Huddlestone is doing his job at the moment. Having 2 sitting like that is just a waste.

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Harsh. 

Lawrence is looking at his AA route planner for his next solo adventure. Throw in a stepover? 

Weimann just nervous that he'll be caught by a Lion or Cheetah. Maybe even a poacher for his Antlers

Jerome is PENALTY!! No, ok but he touched me. PENALTY!! He caught my left PENALTY!! leg and PENALTY!! my right ankle. Oh my God how is this referee not seeing this. I'm totally getting penalised for my kicking and elbowing but surely PENALTY!!? REF? PENALTY?! 

Ahem, Jerome is heavily featured in the other game that goes on. He's like Luis Suarez if Luis Suarez was crap

16 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Weimanm was our best player last night by a country mile

Tragically that's true. 

Well I thought Palmer and Vydra were better but Weimann was up there with a good solid 3/10

Just now, Alpha said:

Tragically that's true. 

Well I thought Palmer and Vydra were better but Weimann was up there with a good solid 3/10

It's true. For saying Jerome is built like a brick outhouse the number of times he got out muscled last night Sunderland must have a team of WWE superstars. The penalty claim when Kone out fought him was laughable. 

Tom Lawrence he needs to learn how to tackle before he starts trying to do the more elaborate things like cross a ball or beat a man.

Bradley Johnson am not sure what he contributes other then arguing with the referee about blatant fouls he's been involved with unsubtlely pushing someone or jumping into their back.

I could go on but it will just upset me.

Archived