Thorne

oldtimeram

I started to worry when everyone said I was wrong about Thorne, but I guess I am starting to be proven right. I was starting to doubt my own judgement. The guy, in my opinion, is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen.  The man simply cannot pass a ball and that is one of the most fundamental and basic things for a player to be able to do.  Get rid  

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can see with both thorne and forsyth, how hard it is to come back from the injuries they have suffered.

both players should be nowhere near the first team 

they should be the ones out on loan 

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

Even before his injuries his passing ability was poor and that always worried more than anything.  OK, he was good for a while in other aspects of his game,   but I fear that player is gone for ever. 

Think this is an odd post. Thorne was a top quality passer of the ball in my opinion, think that was one of his strengths. He seems to have lost energy and sharpness and probably confidence. He had a poor game yesterday. So did many of the team though. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

We shall just have to agree to disagree.  However, in your defence, you have probably seen him play more than I have as I only go to a limited number of games a season nowadays.... (Non football understanding  wife).    

Perhaps you can’t make a judgment then. 

Thorne was a great player before he had his second injury with us. 

Hard for me to call though because I’ve never seen him play 

6 minutes ago, Davide said:

Think this is an odd post. Thorne was a top quality passer of the ball in my opinion, think that was one of his strengths. He seems to have lost energy and sharpness and probably confidence. He had a poor game yesterday. So did many of the team though. 

Agree with this. But Thorne of old had options - always Martin, Bryson, Hendrick or Hughes ready and looking for the ball to feet.

Now he has players running away from him so the only option is the Hollywood pass and while old George did these very well, post injury that second and a half it takes him to set himself to play that pass allows the opposition defender to get in place to intercept it.

George isn't anywhere near where he was but the way this team is set up isn't helping him.

Just now, angieram said:

Agree with this. But Thorne of old had options - always Martin, Bryson, Hendrick or Hughes ready and looking for the ball to feet.

Now he has players running away from him so the only option is the Hollywood pass and while old George did these very well, post injury that second and a half it takes him to set himself to play that pass allows the opposition defender to get in place to intercept it.

George isn't anywhere near where he was but the way this team is set up isn't helping him.

Spot on, well said. 

A good player still needs good players to play with 

Looks overweight and slow, the game passes him by now-a-days whereas he used to be the one to dictate things.

I'm hoping that he uses the last few months of this season and pre-season to get himself back to where he was, I am worried however that time and injuries have caught up with him (same goes for Fozzy)

It would be a real shame if he never gets back to his best, a fully fit GT could have gone on to great things.

59 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Even before his injuries his passing ability was poor and that always worried more than anything.  OK, he was good for a while in other aspects of his game,   but I fear that player is gone for ever. 

To say his passing was poor before his injuries is incorrect and I would assume that you did not watch him week in week out ?

The poor lad has been ravaged by the game and will never return to what he was, I believe that if we had got promoted that season and if he had not had his knee and his leg snapped he would have gone on to be one of our most influential players of the past forty years and could have played for England but that player has gone now and will never return to what he was, here’s a reminder of the guy who couldn’t pass !!!!

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

I started to worry when everyone said I was wrong about Thorne, but I guess I am starting to be proven right. I was starting to doubt my own judgement. The guy, in my opinion, is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen.  The man simply cannot pass a ball and that is one of the most fundamental and basic things for a player to be able to do.  Get rid  

Well done, have 2+ internets. 

Feel very sorry for George. Joined a side that was playing some beautiful football, and one that suited his style of play perfectly.

Injury after injury followed, and now he's come back to a side playing a much less creative style.

There was a time when George Thorne was statistically one of the best midfielders in the Championship. He was literally off the charts. Worth remembering. 

Why are we being critical of a player who were great before serious injury?? Surely it is obvious that he is struggling because of this and like Forsyth needs time to find previous fitness and form. Next season after a full pre season will be the time to judge.  In hidesight, perhaps we should have loaned both out to league 1- lower champ team this season. We have far far far greater problems than an out of form Thorne. 

I think pre injuries he would be plying his trade in the prem, not top 4 but very high standard. I hate watching him now, it just reminds me of what could have been. His pace has gone and can’t see it returning. Whoever decided to extend his and Forsyth’s contract, has questionable judgment  in my opinion 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I think you're right Angie. Huddlestone missing highlights this. Tom has composure which has given our lumbering midfield time to set itself or for Vydra to come back and get the ball. He wasn't there last night, it was key and revealed our weaknesses.  Thorne is still below par though. Can't help feeling after the event that Ledley should have started. When that first pass george made after kick off got partially intercepted it was like an omen. 

Everyone was making errors in ball control along with sloppy, hurried passes. Panic bred panic. 

25 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Why is he still a stone overweight?

Shifting some timber might help a bit. 

Think you will find it is not so much weight has muscle mass.Injured players spend more time in the gym and lots come out more bulked up..the criticism of weight gain is often heard when they return.

The way forward for George and fozzy the same for Winnall when he gets back is to be able to train everyday and play first team matches every week.The problem though being is if you are competing at the top end you cannot afford that time for them to play their way back to form and fitness.

Archived