Thorne

oldtimeram

58 minutes ago, eddie said:

Hughes and Bryson getting injured in the first half an hour at Bolton meant that quick decisions were needed.

We could have had loans - didn't Mel suggest as such in one of those fan things? But he felt it showed more support to buy in - no consideration to what we do with them when Hughes & Bryson returned!

Decision needed, quick or not, it was the wrong one, twice.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

We could have had loans - didn't Mel suggest as such in one of those fan things? But he felt it showed more support to buy in - no consideration to what we do with them when Hughes & Bryson returned!

Decision needed, quick or not, it was the wrong one, twice.

I’d have been happy with Jeff and Dawkins for a bit anyway, Hanson covering, loan for depth 

4 hours ago, curb said:

Thorne may as well go the way of Hughes and Martin TBH, he's never going to be effective in this set up, so we may as well sell him.

Not questioning your logic but would we get much for him in the close season? Somehow on his current showing I very much doubt it.

Someone mentioned on another thread the only saleable asset of real value is Vydra, if I were him I’d see how the pre season shapes up but wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t fancy a move to a team more likely to bring success; more so if his likely strike partner is Jerome, the only time they linked up was shaking hands prior to kick off!

He’ll think hard though about his next move, as to what type of role he might play in any move now though, as whilst he’s banging goals in his suitors will only grow but he needs the right service. Something Thorne nor his fellow strikers are seldom providing; why he keeps coming deeper for the ball.

Back on Thorne, he needs a really, really good pre season to boost his fitness, as he’s well off the pace, so much so I very much doubt any decent team would make a reasonable bid for him with his injury record. We are now stuck with him until we either give him away in a Butterfield type move or improve his energy levels. Sure people are right to point out his lack of passing options but that doesn’t hide the bloke not through his own fault because of his injuries, lacking match sharpness. He’s being hung out there at present.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Which one? 

Second half Kone was shepherding the ball back to Lee Camp in a central position of the penalty area and outmuscled Jerome whom then prostrated himself on the floor claiming a penalty.

I could tell you the approximate timing but the brain bleach has been out after watching that horror show.

14 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Second half Kone was shepherding the ball back to Lee Camp in a central position of the penalty area and outmuscled Jerome whom then prostrated himself on the floor claiming a penalty.

I could tell you the approximate timing but the brain bleach has been out after watching that horror show.

It was more a case of my post referring to the fact that Jerome flung himself to the floor more than once whilst "jostling" with Kone and tried claiming a penalty. He seems to chuck himself down wanting a penalty in almost every match. It is so exaggerated. (I know it sounds hypocritical given that I am a big fan of Martin, but it is so unnatural the way Jerome goes down) 

28 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Not questioning your logic but would we get much for him in the close season? Somehow on his current showing I very much doubt it.

Someone mentioned on another thread the only saleable asset of real value is Vydra, if I were him I’d see how the pre season shapes up but wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t fancy a move to a team more likely to bring success; more so if his likely strike partner is Jerome, the only time they linked up was shaking hands prior to kick off!

He’ll think hard though about his next move, as to what type of role he might play in any move now though, as whilst he’s banging goals in his suitors will only grow but he needs the right service. Something Thorne nor his fellow strikers are seldom providing; why he keeps coming deeper for the ball.

Back on Thorne, he needs a really, really good pre season to boost his fitness, as he’s well off the pace, so much so I very much doubt any decent team would make a reasonable bid for him with his injury record. We are now stuck with him until we either give him away in a Butterfield type move or improve his energy levels. Sure people are right to point out his lack of passing options but that doesn’t hide the bloke not through his own fault because of his injuries, lacking match sharpness. He’s being hung out there at present.

I'd say vydra, Carson, hudds, wisdom, keogh and maybe ledley are the only saleable assets. Who's going to pay for any of the rest

vydra is the only one of those who would bring in a significant sum. 

****forgot Martin when he returns his star has waned but he could still bring in a couple of million

No, that's one of the manager's goals according to Mel, increase the value of the squad, which he's falling woefully short of, we couldn't give the majority of them away ATM. 

I'd sell Vydra tomorrow if it was up to me (which it isn't), our whole (crap) system is based around a striker who can't score unless he plays in midfield where he contributes nothing.

39 minutes ago, curb said:

No, that's one of the manager's goals according to Mel, increase the value of the squad, which he's falling woefully short of, we couldn't give the majority of them away ATM. 

I'd sell Vydra tomorrow if it was up to me (which it isn't), our whole (crap) system is based around a striker who can't score unless he plays in midfield where he contributes nothing.

Glad it’s not you in charge then because that bloke who contributes nothing has been, alongside Huddlestone, the only thing making us score any goals at all at this time. Sell him and we’re ******* royally

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Glad it’s not you in charge then because that bloke who contributes nothing has been, alongside Huddlestone, the only thing making us score any goals at all at this time. Sell him and we’re ******* royally

Remind me of the goals he's created for others.

1 minute ago, curb said:

Remind me of the goals he's created for others.

Couldn’t give a **** given he’s the leagues top goalscorer. His assist numbers may not read that great but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t done work for others. The amount of times he’s turned defence to attack on his own since no other ******* in midfield will do it is worthy enough for me. He’s our only player to be competent enough to take a man on, move a bit, create some space for others, aside from Palmer who does it with less final effect. I can remember plenty of good passes around the box as well that have created chances for others, not his fault our two strikers couldn’t score in a brothel. Sell Vydra and with our recent recruitment record we’ll end up with the 40 year old Wes hoolahan and score about 10 goals next year.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

I'd say vydra, Carson, hudds, wisdom, keogh and maybe ledley are the only saleable assets. Who's going to pay for any of the rest

vydra is the only one of those who would bring in a significant sum. 

****forgot Martin when he returns his star has waned but he could still bring in a couple of million

Yeah was more thinking significant sum with Vydra the only obvious one. Hudds and Ledley their stock for big money is surely starting to decline with age. Keogh and Martin unsure what they could fetch, a few million. 

Wisdom ought to get more, but he’s not a regular choice so don’t know. Thorne won’t at present in my mind.

Back to George, 

What concerns me is the way more mobile, clever players seem to leave him for dead in midfield and bear down on the back 4. 

I honestly can't fault his effort and desire to win, he was one of the few trying to gee up the team after the Sunderland goals last night. 

I just dont know if he's got it physically anymore. 

12 hours ago, loweman2 said:

To say his passing was poor before his injuries is incorrect and I would assume that you did not watch him week in week out ?

The poor lad has been ravaged by the game and will never return to what he was, I believe that if we had got promoted that season and if he had not had his knee and his leg snapped he would have gone on to be one of our most influential players of the past forty years and could have played for England but that player has gone now and will never return to what he was, here’s a reminder of the guy who couldn’t pass !!!!

That has made me feel sad.  Come back George....we miss you

Both have come back from consecutive, long injuries. They deserve plaudits for that alone. It'll always take them a long time to get back to close to their prime form. Criticism won't accelerate it and neither will absence from first team football. 

18 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Even before his injuries his passing ability was poor and that always worried more than anything.  OK, he was good for a while in other aspects of his game,   but I fear that player is gone for ever. 

I dont feel like reading through this thread, but pre-injury thorne had the best passing % in the league and was in the top 5 for most forward passes. So, to suggest he wasn't good is simply incorrect.

Post injury, however, he has been terrible. 

Archived