Thorne

oldtimeram

12 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

Thorne not good enough, Forsyth not good enough, offering them new contracts was bad management. It just typifies how bad we are when it comes to dealings in general. Rowett said that teams want more money off us, in reality they just know how stupid we are in the transfer market. 7m for Lawrence, 6m for Johnson and 5m for butterfield will go down as some of the biggest mistakes in recent memory. 

Lawrence cost about £5m but I agree with you.What I can’t understand is why all three of these were outstanding at their previous clubs but when they come to us they just don’t perform the same way?!?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

He is currently very poor!! Not looked rate all season! You just hope he can rekindle some form at the start of next season! Haven't seen him play a forest pass this year ?

Whats a forest pass?

Sith Happens

Thorne isn't currently putting in the performances he did previously, but I still dont think he is as bad as people are saying, I just think someone like Thorne seems to come in for more scrutiny than others.

For me its the system that isnt suiting him like it did before. His role previously was get in the way, break up play and he had one of bryson, hughes, hendrick buzzing around him looking to get forward with the ball. Now him, and ledley and hudds are expected to not only break play up but also be playmakers. I think ledley gets a break from people because they dont expect him to be a playmaker.

Even before sometimes people would say thorne hadnt done much but when you watched him back he did the simple things very well, yes of course sometimes he would play a class long ball, or get forward but most of his work was break up play and short pass forward, job done. He would often just sit in the holding midfielder role, now hes often got advanced with play as expected to be the playmaker aswell and is dragged out of that posittion.

Thats how I see it anyway, could be ********, im no expert.

22 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thorne isn't currently putting in the performances he did previously, but I still dont think he is as bad as people are saying, I just think someone like Thorne seems to come in for more scrutiny than others.

For me its the system that isnt suiting him like it did before. His role previously was get in the way, break up play and he had one of bryson, hughes, hendrick buzzing around him looking to get forward with the ball. Now him, and ledley and hudds are expected to not only break play up but also be playmakers. I think ledley gets a break from people because they dont expect him to be a playmaker.

Even before sometimes people would say thorne hadnt done much but when you watched him back he did the simple things very well, yes of course sometimes he would play a class long ball, or get forward but most of his work was break up play and short pass forward, job done. He would often just sit in the holding midfielder role, now hes often got advanced with play as expected to be the playmaker aswell and is dragged out of that posittion.

Clearly got more expertise than most of the drivel written on here about Thorne. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

You’re right with all that but one point in the second half Keogh tapped a pass out 10 yards max, he hadn’t got the legs to get there in front of the oncoming Sunderland player who started further away. He really tried but I could see in an instant he wasn’t going to get there.

Its not his fault, he’s not suddenly a bad player, I get that to regain fitness he needs matches but he’s been struggling awhile, he should be playing a few having a rest at best, smaller cameo’s and maybe with a full pre season he might get back to near his best.

Right now he’s not, whatever role he plays and having to player further forward and create is just another reason I say he’s being hung out there. Gaz isn’t doing him any favours right now.

Sith Happens
24 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

You’re right with all that but one point in the second half Keogh tapped a pass out 10 yards max, he hadn’t got the legs to get there in front of the oncoming Sunderland player who started further away. He really tried but I could see in an instant he wasn’t going to get there.

Its not his fault, he’s not suddenly a bad player, I get that to regain fitness he needs matches but he’s been struggling awhile, he should be playing a few having a rest at best, smaller cameo’s and maybe with a full pre season he might get back to near his best.

Right now he’s not, whatever role he plays and having to player further forward and create is just another reason I say he’s being hung out there. Gaz isn’t doing him any favours right now.

I don't think any of our 3, Thorne, Hudds or Ledley are suited to the style of play. One issue we are having right now which is different from earlier in the season is we are actually having far more of the ball than we did. We arent playing on the counter anywhere near as much as we did, we were winning the ball before and getting it out to the wings and bombing down.

Now teams are letting us play...

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

It doesn’t help that I’ve been swayed by the perfectly articulated arguments of @Leicester Ram and @Alex W, but I want the 4-3-3 back. I want the Derby Way and all its trimmings, McClaren’s hair island included. But most of all I want Thorne back in that holding role!

I think we could play that 4-3-3 too, pick palmer and johnson in that 3 looking to pick the ball up from the holding midfielder whomever it might be.

On 3/31/2018 at 09:08, oldtimeram said:

Even before his injuries his passing ability was poor and that always worried more than anything.  OK, he was good for a while in other aspects of his game,   but I fear that player is gone for ever. 

Yes Thorne now looks a player destined for a career in a lower division. Not sure what his contract length is at DCFC. Probably long and expensive.... 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oooh...go on tell more!

What do you want me to tell? We are generally having more of the ball now than we did, so two holding midfielders doesnt work. We need one in there as i said earlier in the thread who breaks up play and just give it to those who are more suited to getting forward.

The only question mark I would have is can vydra play that role in a 3 up front....

Jerome and Nugent are massively out of form so it would be worth trying.

I like lawrence too but also massively out of form, not really sure what anya has done wrong in the small cameos he has had, i'd give him a go too i think.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes Thorne now looks a player destined for a career in a lower division. Not sure what his contract length is at DCFC. Probably long and expensive.... 

From what I understand on here, that could be with us in a couple of seasons time. :lol:

On 31/03/2018 at 10:42, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Why are we being critical of a player who were great before serious injury?? Surely it is obvious that he is struggling because of this and like Forsyth needs time to find previous fitness and form. Next season after a full pre season will be the time to judge.  In hidesight, perhaps we should have loaned both out to league 1- lower champ team this season. We have far far far greater problems than an out of form Thorne. 

Hey I believe that Thorne was a good player but was is the word - so was Chris Martin but we cannot afford to carry out of form players - we are supposed to be going for promotion so put players in the team that can do a shift - not on past history. 

Archived