Thorne

oldtimeram

Breaks my heart to see Gorgeous George in his current state as this fella had everything in his locker,and would have played at the very top table.

Hope I'm wrong and George comes back in August fully fit and raring to go - he's got the security of a new contract but fear he's finished.

Such a crying shame.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it’s been mentioned before about Thorne, but I think he struggles with his role. On the ball, he’s looked his best when the players in front are constantly moving and creating gaps. This season it’s not really been there and he’s not really had a link up player for him to pass to infront either, so he’s reduced to hopeful hoofs forward or short passes sideways. With that I think he’s lost a bit of confidence (he’s not the only one this has affected. I think Johnson, Forsyth and even the central defenders have struggled at times with this) Off the ball, there’s little protection in front ie he and Huddlestone are the first line of defence and I think he’s struggled positionally with that as well as his pace. 

Yes individual fitness and form are also factors but I’m not sure he’s settled and playing in a role where he can look his best either. He’s got more class to his game than a workmanlike ‘break down’ attackers type, hence probably why he’s probably looked his best in the ten min no. 10 cameos when he first got back

3 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Breaks my heart to see Gorgeous George in his current state as this fella had everything in his locker,and would have played at the very top table.

Hope I'm wrong and George comes back in August fully fit and raring to go - he's got the security of a new contract but fear he's finished.

Such a crying shame.

Yes it sometimes happens in football. Looks like Thorne is all done at this level. Still a chance maybe in a lower division, playing in front of a decent back four at a club going for promotion. 

For me rowett isn’t playing to Thornes strength.He needs mobile people around him and he is not a person who can defend for 90 minutes with the occasional break forward. He’s a possession based footballer.

In the 13/14 season he had five attack minded players alongside him chosen from Bryson,Hughes,Hendrick,bamford,Martin,Russell,ward and Dawkins who all brought the best out of him. All these would run and create space. Now we have robots hell bent on not conceding. 

I also think that George does need a proper season under his belt but Rowettball ain’t helping. 

Archived