Notts Forest F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

you forgot maclaren

He had a decent time with us in the mid 80's as a player, wasn't sure when he came as assistant manger and I wasn't convinced of his manager. I guess in the end I certainly think the John Gregory and Ross Maclaren duo did us no favours.

Overall, a much more satisfying point to what we've been used to in recent games, easily could have nicked it. The Weimann chance at the end summed up our fortunes recently. He may have got too excited, and thrashed at it. Had he not tried to smash the ball through the net and back to Derby we could well have been celebrating another win against the Gumps. I've had a look at the team and summarized my thoughts below for what its worth...

Defense 

Defensively we were spot on. the back four proved their metal and Scotty in goal had very little to do in the end. Keogh and Davies controlled Brereton who will be a very good player but their experience nullified his main attributes and when he tried to compete in the air with our centre backs he was always going to lose. Wisdom and Fozzy were solid yet again and to me proved why they're the two for the full back slots. I appreciate Fozzy's distribution lets him down at times but overall he is a better player than Olsson and gives us height. I mentioned on another thread, Wisdom should be encouraged to go forward more and he showed glimpses again of what he can do when the shackles come off. He is so powerful once he gets moving and he's confident on the ball. 

Midfield and Wingers

Midfield wise, we saw the best of Tommy H. He was stroking the ball around nicely and was releasing Weimann at will. He seemed to have so much time when in possession and we really saw what a passer he can be. Bradley overall had an effective game rather than decent I'd say. He was an annoyance to Forest and perfect for a derby match. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he will always give 100% and was decent against the experienced Watson and supposed "Ginger Pirlo" Colback... 

Tom Lawrence was in the game more, and was direct with his running which is what we all want to see. I really hope he can pick up his form as there is potential there. Unlucky not to score when we had the chance off the line in the first half and also finally a proper whipped corner nearly went in. A little more luck and we could have been in front on HT and a goal for Lawrence would have done him the world of good. 

Anya just isn't the answer in my opinion. He works hard but just isn't up to scratch sadly. Happy to be proved wrong but ability wise is lacking. They mentioned Russell leaving on comms, and we still haven't replaced him. 

Weimann- worked tirelessly and is proving a real threat for us. Changed a lot of opinions this season including mine and I really think he can be the one to push on and get more goals. As mentioned earlier in my comment, had he just walked onto the bouncing ball late on rather than trying to blast the shot( (on his weaker foot) I think we would have won the game. 

Palmer- So much confidence for such a young age. We need to get this guy in the team for the remaining fixtures. He is that X factor, that something different when games are tight he can unlock the defence. Get him in the side Gaz. 

Strikers 

Nugent hasn't really done it for me recently but I thought he did well yesterday. Unlucky not to score as he couldn't have hit the ball any better, although if being over critical was an ok height for Pantilimon. The one part of his game that I've been critical of is his hold up play but I thought it was brilliant on Saturday and brought the supporting midfielders into play very well. Hope he can find the goals but still think he's a bench player to introduce. 

Jerome. Looked a lot more energetic than at QPR when he came on and certainly made an impact with Palmer. I can't help but think we haven't seen a fully fit Jerome yet. Hopefully he can find some form and goals in the 9 cup finals we have left. Maybe star thim against Cardiff next week? Old club syndrome and all that = motivation to score against the anti-football movement from Wales ;) 

Takeaway points: 

- How Danny Fox got Man of the Match and not Curtis Davies is one of life's big mysteries. If a decision had to be made now Curtis would be my Player of the Year. Signing of the season for me. 

- Who the bobbins was the referee? He did have a fantastic gut on him though. A solid diet of Newcy Brown ale and cheese for the last 15 years creating the perfect sump on him. Had a poor game in my opinion and just gave in to the cat calls to send Tommy off. 

- Gary Rowett masterclass throughout from start to finish at the end creating about seven separate gifs, memes, highlights etc was amazing. When Richard Keogh is trying to restrain you, that's entertainment. We didn't need to be expert lip readers to appreciate his summary of the referee after the red card... 

- Get Vydra back in, incorporate Palmer into the side as well and we can create some momentum. There was enough on show Sunday to give me the indication that these boys do care and have enough to get us into the playoffs. We need a really jammy, one in a million kind of goal off the back of Wisdom's rear to put lady luck back on our side and we can start to get that positive vibe and groove back in! 

-9 to go, Keep the Faith! Let's get in the playoffs and enjoy the ride! 

COYR 

16 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Tomlin's "tactic" yesterday was clearly about going down as many times as possible...as the TV commentators said it was a "very harsh decision" to give a yellow for it. I suspect it may have been given for "persistent foul play"; from GR's interview, he mentioned to the ref at H-T what was "clearly going on and why" yet the ref, who had booked TL for "diving" earlier decided to ignore GR's point and give TH a second yellow. Inconsistent and poor refereeing and I have sympathy for GR. 

Fully agree with this, his game management and ‘control’ was poor. I knew we were in trouble when he didn’t give a free kick in the first minute to Johnson when, I presume Tomlin, just tried to wrestle him to the ground. The problem was that he gave Tomlin no reason to try and stay on his feet and when you do that, a ref loses his control of the game. It’s not just been this game that it’s happened, Norwich was similar in that respect 

11 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Overall, a much more satisfying point to what we've been used to in recent games, easily could have nicked it. The Weimann chance at the end summed up our fortunes recently. He may have got too excited, and thrashed at it. Had he not tried to smash the ball through the net and back to Derby we could well have been celebrating another win against the Gumps. I've had a look at the team and summarized my thoughts below for what its worth...

Defense 

Defensively we were spot on. the back four proved their metal and Scotty in goal had very little to do in the end. Keogh and Davies controlled Brereton who will be a very good player but their experience nullified his main attributes and when he tried to compete in the air with our centre backs he was always going to lose. Wisdom and Fozzy were solid yet again and to me proved why they're the two for the full back slots. I appreciate Fozzy's distribution lets him down at times but overall he is a better player than Olsson and gives us height. I mentioned on another thread, Wisdom should be encouraged to go forward more and he showed glimpses again of what he can do when the shackles come off. He is so powerful once he gets moving and he's confident on the ball. 

Midfield and Wingers

Midfield wise, we saw the best of Tommy H. He was stroking the ball around nicely and was releasing Weimann at will. He seemed to have so much time when in possession and we really saw what a passer he can be. Bradley overall had an effective game rather than decent I'd say. He was an annoyance to Forest and perfect for a derby match. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he will always give 100% and was decent against the experienced Watson and supposed "Ginger Pirlo" Colback... 

Tom Lawrence was in the game more, and was direct with his running which is what we all want to see. I really hope he can pick up his form as there is potential there. Unlucky not to score when we had the chance off the line in the first half and also finally a proper whipped corner nearly went in. A little more luck and we could have been in front on HT and a goal for Lawrence would have done him the world of good. 

Anya just isn't the answer in my opinion. He works hard but just isn't up to scratch sadly. Happy to be proved wrong but ability wise is lacking. They mentioned Russell leaving on comms, and we still haven't replaced him. 

Weimann- worked tirelessly and is proving a real threat for us. Changed a lot of opinions this season including mine and I really think he can be the one to push on and get more goals. As mentioned earlier in my comment, had he just walked onto the bouncing ball late on rather than trying to blast the shot( (on his weaker foot) I think we would have won the game. 

Palmer- So much confidence for such a young age. We need to get this guy in the team for the remaining fixtures. He is that X factor, that something different when games are tight he can unlock the defence. Get him in the side Gaz. 

Strikers 

Nugent hasn't really done it for me recently but I thought he did well yesterday. Unlucky not to score as he couldn't have hit the ball any better, although if being over critical was an ok height for Pantilimon. The one part of his game that I've been critical of is his hold up play but I thought it was brilliant on Saturday and brought the supporting midfielders into play very well. Hope he can find the goals but still think he's a bench player to introduce. 

Jerome. Looked a lot more energetic than at QPR when he came on and certainly made an impact with Palmer. I can't help but think we haven't seen a fully fit Jerome yet. Hopefully he can find some form and goals in the 9 cup finals we have left. Maybe star thim against Cardiff next week? Old club syndrome and all that = motivation to score against the anti-football movement from Wales ;) 

Takeaway points: 

- How Danny Fox got Man of the Match and not Curtis Davies is one of life's big mysteries. If a decision had to be made now Curtis would be my Player of the Year. Signing of the season for me. 

- Who the bobbins was the referee? He did have a fantastic gut on him though. A solid diet of Newcy Brown ale and cheese for the last 15 years creating the perfect sump on him. Had a poor game in my opinion and just gave in to the cat calls to send Tommy off. 

- Gary Rowett masterclass throughout from start to finish at the end creating about seven separate gifs, memes, highlights etc was amazing. When Richard Keogh is trying to restrain you, that's entertainment. We didn't need to be expert lip readers to appreciate his summary of the referee after the red card... 

- Get Vydra back in, incorporate Palmer into the side as well and we can create some momentum. There was enough on show Sunday to give me the indication that these boys do care and have enough to get us into the playoffs. We need a really jammy, one in a million kind of goal off the back of Wisdom's rear to put lady luck back on our side and we can start to get that positive vibe and groove back in! 

COYR 

Brilliant summation that, well done.

18 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Can someone good on photoshop mock up some images please of tomlin falling over in some nondescript situations.

Bus stop 

post office queue 

kebab shop queue 

A Forest colleague of mine suggested that Tomlin was carrying a lot of 'timber'. I said that is what i shouted every time he fell over. 

1 hour ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Defense 

Midfield and Wingers

Strikers 

Takeaway points: 

COYR 

Superb account @'Rambe33

Has GR been asked about the KP issue? Would like to know GR's view on KP because he could be the determining factor in the next 9 games. He has the ability to unhinge teams so we need him on the field. With Vydra. Please sort it GR.

Derby took the moral victory yesterday. We turned up in Dogs' back yard, had a go on all the broken toys, sniffed, and then controlled the game. Never looked in trouble even with just 10 men and the best player on the park back in the changing room.

I was actually impressed with the Derby attitude. There was a steel and iron will and had we played for another 90 minutes I don't think Dogs would have got any closer than their solitary 25 yard off-target effort from Tom Thumb that was missing the target as soon as it left his size 6 boot. They had the luck when TL's shot came off their keeper's boot and went skyward when it could easily have pinged into the net. TL also almost scored direct from the corner. 

So faith restored. Fans need to keep the neuroticism in check otherwise we will talk ourselves out of a play-off spot. 9 games to go...all will be cup finals. This is the "business end" of the season. Whether we like the style or not, it's our (fans') job now to up the decibels and make the players proud to wear the shirt. They need all the psychological advantage we can given them. We all have a job to do. Come on, let's be 'avin you. :mellow:

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Superb. 

Has GR been asked about the KP issue? Would like to know GR's view on KP because he could be the determining factor in the next 9 games. He has the ability to unhinge teams so we need him on the field. With Vydra. Please sort it GR.

Derby took the moral victory yesterday. We turned up in Dogs' back yard, had a go on all the broken toys, sniffed, and then controlled the game. Never looked in trouble even with just 10 men and the best player on the park back in the changing room.

I was actually impressed with the Derby attitude. There was a steel and iron will and had we played for another 90 minutes I don't think Dogs would have got any closer than their solitary 25 yard off-target effort from Tom Thumb that was missing the target as soon as it left his size 6 boot. They had the luck when TL's shot came off their keeper's boot and went skyward when it could easily have pinged into the net. TL also almost scored direct from the corner. 

So faith restored. Fans need to keep the neuroticism in check otherwise we will talk ourselves out of a play-off spot. 9 games to go...all will be cup finals. This is the "business end" of the season. Whether we like the style or not, it's our (fans') job now to up the decibels and make the players proud to wear the shirt. They need all the psychological advantage we can given them. We all have a job to do. Come on, let's be 'avin you. :mellow:

On RD after the game he said what a fantastic player he is, almost too good in that he’s trying to do fancy stuff in our own half as well. In a tight away game like that it was probably just a cautious thing to have him not starting and then making a difference off the bench.

Imagine he’ll have earned a start v Cardiff though.

All the silly talk about thr sending off....it was obviously for persistent fouling...I thought that when he got his fists yellow card that he was lucky that one wasn’t his second....the one where he flicked his leg at Tomlin as he went around him was 100% a yellow. No complaints from me about the red card I just think that maybe it could have been earlier actually. 

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

All the silly talk about thr sending off....it was obviously for persistent fouling...I thought that when he got his fists yellow card that he was lucky that one wasn’t his second....the one where he flicked his leg at Tomlin as he went around him was 100% a yellow. No complaints from me about the red card I just think that maybe it could have been earlier actually. 

Am actually amazed Bradley Johnson got away without a booking all game after his persistent fouling, jumping into Pantilimon unnecessarily in the second half etc 

TobyWanKenobi
29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

On the plus side, I do believe we are mathematically safe from relegation now. I think we might have been after QPR but I'm not sure, didn't check. 

That's definitely something then. Huzzah!

Archived