James McClean

Andrew3000

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie said:

Strawman.png.5d1f4cf917268e8906c2d38cdff80bf9.png

He has made his opinions quite obvious in numerous interviews and even an open letter to a former employer. You can support them, be opposed to them or be completely indifferent to them, that’s fine. But to suggest either point of view is based on fallacy, when his opinions are open for all to read is just wrong. Trying to suggest a poster hasn’t either taken the time or isn’t capable of understanding the facts, makes you sound a little arrogant and ill informed about the available evidence. If I could be bothered, I would post a big picture of a man in a glass house 

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

We had freedom of speech here? At that time? To a greater degree than Germany?.

This desire to conquer other peoples, is that the same desire we had in our empire to, err, conquer other peoples?

Yes, we were massive hypocrites, still are, what's your point?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Have a read, think you are getting a tad muddled. Wasn't a big part of my history degree but know enough to know that interpretation is incorrect. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26048324

Thank you to @RadioactiveWaste for his view. To be fair, my son is doing his master's in history and he said I was talking ********.

I'm not having it I tell you.

7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I love the posts from people about how wars were fought so that people could be free and have free speech and then go on to have a pop at people who express their opinion on a the player they don't want. Freedom of speech works both ways.

Absolutely bang on. I'm no neanderthal for not wanting a player at our club. Some posters are making it sound like we're sending him death threats and restricting him from speaking, which isn't true at all. I choose to dislike the player, I wouldn't support him in a Derby shirt or any other, but nor would I censor him, nor send him threats for any said viewpoint. That isn't effecting his free speech, nor does it make me a neanderthal. 

49 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t miss the point because for every one of you who may disagree for intelligent reasons (reasons I’d disagree with mind) there’s 10 more mindless individuals who want blood just because of this false patriotism. 

The fact of the matter is that i know I’d feel the same disdain towards the forces if I’d grown up where innocent civilians had been killed by them and I’d hazard a guess that most people condemning him would too if they’d been brought up in his home town... even if they won’t admit it! 

Agree with what you say. The Irish conflict was complex but the violence was a two way thing. The British army were responsible for some dreadful atrocities, 'shoot to kill' policy, cover ups etc, just like the IRA were.

4 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Strange yearnings... We're an election to be called tomorrow who would you vote for? 

I'd vote for someone who can spell " were"

The point with the WW1 thing is, yes, in a round about way, you could say Russian agitation in the Balkans had a part to play, the reality is the situation growing with the European empires was making war inevitable, and if it hadn't been that, it would've been something else. Most historians don't think Russia was trying to start the conflict, it was just trying to cause mischief for one if it's rivals.

As @Jimbo Ram 's link pointed out, most of the responsibility lies with Germany in the end, but as always with history, its never quite as simple as all that.

25 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Sometimes football and politics just don't mix. Here's the last nasty right winger we bought to Pride Park.

download.jpeg.e24a215811504421decd82dfe58976f1.jpeg

Sometimes politics should be left completely out of sport but it doesn’t even happen in the olympics, so what chance has football got.

As for McClean, he’s possibly an upgrade on Russell but not a significant one in my book. Doubt West Brom would ever be interested in a loan (might be wrong), talk of anything over £2m let alone £8m would make it unlikely. So unless it were some Pedro like signing, for all the divisive baggage McClean may bring I wouldn’t bother myself.

This could all be agent whispers anyway, oddly enough wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t end up like the bbc interview playing stateside at some near point; he’d certainly be a star over there.

54 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

I'd vote for someone who can spell " were"

Well done. 'People in glass houses...' would be apt here.  You corrected my error which I had already corrected elsewhere in the thread and your earlier nonsense was littered with grammatical errors. 

So how about an actual answer to the question? 

Wow! 19 pages of total bile.... from so called "fans" verbally abusing each other.

What a example you have all set.

I'm sure if any current players who may read this, must be rejoicing at what lovely so called "fans" we have.

Shudder to think what opposition fans may be thinking if they have read this thread.

2 minutes ago, Sat Atwal said:

Wow! 19 pages of total bile.... from so called "fans" verbally abusing each other.

What a example you have all set.

I'm sure if any current players who may read this, must be rejoicing at what lovely so called "fans" we have.

Shudder to think what opposition fans may be thinking if they have read this thread.

Not sure there is any bile. Differing opinions but not bile. 

Also not sure that any current players would think anything of it at all. 

Lastly... Are we all supposed to concur in order that opposition fans,  visiting a forum that has nothing to do with them, may write on their own forum, that has nothing to do with us, how nice Derby fans are and how well they all play in the playground together? 

All it goes to show is that, as stated earlier, he's a good player but too many people base their views on soundbites from the Daily Star thus this signing... If it were ever even an option... Would have the potential to do more harm than good to our season. 

Archived