James McClean

Andrew3000

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I think it would be fair to cut him some slack and walk a mile in his shoes before people start calling him for his actions.

If you were in another country, would you all participate in an activity that goes against your core beliefs?

Yeah, but no other player has the issues. McClean brings the controversy to himself. If he objects to the UK and our armed forces so much, he can always play in another country. I don't see anyone forcing him to play in England. 

Having watched his interview and not in any way agreeing with his politics, I would much rather take him than some violent thug such as Joey Barton who a number of posters wanted us to sign some time back.

Don't particularly want us to sign him because I don't think he is good enough to make the difference which might be needed to turn a play-off place into an automatic one.

I think McClean would be a class signing, he's the ultimate version of Russell and Weimann - hard worker, good defensively, maybe lacking a bit in end product. Would fit so well in a GR team.

Those who claim they don't want him to sign ought to remember that British soldiers died in WW1 and WW2 to defeat dictatorships and protect freedom of speech and opinion for everyone.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, but no other player has the issues. McClean brings the controversy to himself. If he objects to the UK and our armed forces so much, he can always play in another country. I don't see anyone forcing him to play in England. 

He pays far more than I ever will in taxes for our armed forces, bless him

5 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I think it would be fair to cut him some slack and walk a mile in his shoes before people start calling him for his actions.

If you were in another country, would you all participate in an activity that goes against your core beliefs?

I think you should respect the country that you live in and the country that also gives you a very very good living - and not insult it!

2 minutes ago, philmycock said:

What if it was a player that had assaulted a family member of yours? Still fair game?

That's not politics and no that would not be okay with me, but i would not attack those fans who wanted him.  They are entitled to their opinions

In my opinion, McClean is a hypocrite as he's selling out his morals by playing in England because of the financial incentive, he could easily play in another country and avoid the issue all together. However, this thread alone highlights why we shouldn't sign him. He's an extremely polarising figure, and we don't need that kind of division amongst our fanbase and potentially in our squad, regardless of their playing ability.

3 minutes ago, ramit said:

The short answer is yes.  If we start mixing politics with football, it will destroy the game IMO.

Does that make me a terrorist supporter?  Nope

But it does make you incredibly naive. I wonder what colour the sky is in your world. 

9 minutes ago, ramit said:

i support Derby and all it's players.  If you have a problem with that, then that's what it is, your problem

BTW i don't care what your political views are either and you cannot force them on me Slim

Deal with it, or not

I support Derby....but that does not mean I'm gonna forget the fact that I'm also an England fan, British and have morals!  

Just by pulling on a Derby shirt it doesnt automatically mean you should forget what someone is and treat them as a hero. Some issues are bigger than football.  And yes Ramit, that is my view 

2 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

But it does make you incredibly naive. I wonder what colour the sky is in your world. 

Are we going to get personal now? Turn it up a notch, because your precious opinions aren't shared by everyone?

Laughable

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

In my opinion, McClean is a hypocrite as he's selling out his morals by playing in England because of the financial incentive, he could easily play in another country and avoid the issue all together. However, this thread alone highlights why we shouldn't sign him. He's an extremely polarising figure, and we don't need that kind of division amongst our fanbase and potentially in our squad, regardless of their playing ability.

Or he is plying his trade in a market place that is willing to pay for him. Don’t underestimate how free we are and free Catholics in Derry in the 70s weren’t. 

Just now, ramit said:

Are we going to get personal now? Turn it up a notch, because your precious opinions aren't shared by everyone?

Laughable

Personal? Why? because I strongly disagree with your views and think you are naive? You are a bit of a hypocrite aren't you  

Anyway I've got better things to do than continue this with you. I've got to wash the dog. Bye bye

7 minutes ago, Slim charles said:

I support Derby....but that does not mean I'm gonna forget the fact that I'm also an England fan, British and have morals!  

Just by pulling on a Derby shirt it doesnt automatically mean you should forget what someone is and treat them as a hero. Some issues are bigger than football.  And yes Ramit, that is my view 

Listen, i am fine with you having that opinion, you are completely entitled to it, just allow me my opinions too

Archived