James McClean

Andrew3000

2 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Fellas. Can we stop arguing about a West Bromwich Albion player?

For all we know many of our current players may harbour beliefs or desires which we would find unacceptable but they are just footballers.

Good point.  i will play nice now.  Too much coffee today i think

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely and utterly disagree with some of his political beliefs and actions regarding not wearing the poppy, which I think is disgusting. 

Luckily, he’s a footballer and not my local MP. Couldn’t give a toss what he thinks about political issues if we comes here and helps gets us promoted. 

You’d also be fooling yourselves if you thought that none of our current players harbour one or two political opinions that you think are wrong. 

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Completely and utterly disagree with some of his political beliefs and actions regarding not wearing the poppy, which I think is disgusting. 

Luckily, he’s a footballer and not my local MP. Couldn’t give a toss what he thinks about political issues if we comes here and helps gets us promoted. 

You’d also be fooling yourselves if you thought that none of our current players harbour one or two political opinions that you think are wrong. 

You mean they vote Labour?

To persecute McLean for his political moral views is just total and utter disrespect to all those that gave their lives to protect that very freedom , 

1 hour ago, Posh Ram said:

Those who claim they don't want him to sign ought to remember that British soldiers died in WW1 and WW2 to defeat dictatorships and protect freedom of speech and opinion for everyone.

British history in Ireland isn't quite so easy to get on board with...I don't agree with his stance but it's not from nowhere that it comes. You don't have to be a genius to see both sides of it. I doubt the young men who joined up to fight against the Germans to free France in 1916 were thrilled to be sent to Ireland to subdue an uprising. History's a lot messier than that. One of the things about the partition of Ireland was the protestants of Ulster would've had their own civil war (and were very ready to have one) in Ireland if the island hadn't been split into north and south at the time. There's a whole lot of wrongs upon wrongs upon wrongs to be unpicked but for the most part a peace process has by and large got us to a situation both sides can live with.

I'm not picking on your comment particularly and the fact that the history is messy doesn't stop Mr. McClean for being a bit of a nob in the way he goes about it.

24 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

British history in Ireland isn't quite so easy to get on board with...I don't agree with his stance but it's not from nowhere that it comes. You don't have to be a genius to see both sides of it. I doubt the young men who joined up to fight against the Germans to free France in 1916 were thrilled to be sent to Ireland to subdue an uprising. History's a lot messier than that. One of the things about the partition of Ireland was the protestants of Ulster would've had their own civil war (and were very ready to have one) in Ireland if the island hadn't been split into north and south at the time. There's a whole lot of wrongs upon wrongs upon wrongs to be unpicked but for the most part a peace process has by and large got us to a situation both sides can live with.

I'm not picking on your comment particularly and the fact that the history is messy doesn't stop Mr. McClean for being a bit of a nob in the way he goes about it.

Not really sure we disagree, I think McClean's position is understandable and it's a good thing that we live in a society where other opinions are tolerated.

Just now, Posh Ram said:

Not really sure we disagree, I think McClean's position is understandable and it's a good thing that we live in a society where other opinions are tolerated.

I don't think we disagree either, I think I was just trying to expand a bit that are some perspectives where things aren't as clear cut. I think we're all glad with how things panned out in the world wars and the northern Ireland peace process.

1 hour ago, Posh Ram said:

Those who claim they don't want him to sign ought to remember that British soldiers died in WW1 and WW2 to defeat dictatorships and protect freedom of speech and opinion for everyone.

Whilst you could certainly make that case for WW2, to say that for WW1 would be seriously wide of the mark.

Besides, the Russians started WW1.

9 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Has he been know to cause uproar in dressing rooms? I don't think so. He won Ireland's player of the year this year, I think for our system he is the perfect addition.

admittely not heard of any dressing room stuff but Sunderland and Wigan both bobed him out because of his antics! 

7 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Whilst you could certainly make that case for WW2, to say that for WW1 would be seriously wide of the mark.

Besides, the Russians started WW1.

The Kaiser wanted to greatly expand the German Empire, we fought him to restrain the growth of said empire. Just because they weren't evil like the Nazis doesn't mean they didn't pose a threat to freedom of speech and a desire to conquer other peoples.

Archived