Derby County F.C. v Bristol City F.C.

Boycie

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think that we were poor in front of goal, but for me it doesn't actually matter. There is no way a ref should be making a decision to book Jerome for a dive, for such a clear penalty. Even if we didn't take our chances outfield, the likelihood is, we would have scored the penalty,and gained 3 points on Bristol. If we miss out on promotion by 2 points, it's due to the refereeing decision in this game.

Agree with this 100%. Never been so angry at a ref in my life, that could genuinely cost us the prem. Can’t see how people can say it doesn’t matter, when you’re constantly having poor decisions going against you it must affect you mentally as a player. We were the much better side tonight, with a competent ref there is no doubt in my mind we’d have won that game.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bcfc2109 said:

Obviously don' watch you every week but thought Martin was decent, also thought Curtis davis was absolutely class,plus Jerome an absite beast of a signing. And vydra always worth a game , fair play I hope derby city and those brummy ***** go up and replace some mediocre pram ****, stoke swansea etc

I can read honest, had a few!!

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Fans were terrific in the second half, and there was a clear positive reaction on the pitch. 

On the other hand, heard one fan say he is going to “stab” Lawrence if he ever sees him, and he hopes he “f’s off out our club”. If you ever say anything of the ilk, even if you are angry, which we all are at football at times, please don’t come again. 

Bit harsh on @Angry Ram

2 minutes ago, Bcfc2109 said:

Obviously don' watch you every week but thought Martin was decent, also thought Curtis davis was absolutely class,plus Jerome an absite beast of a signing. And vydra always worth a game , fair play I hope derby city and those brummy ***** go up and replace some mediocre pram ****, stoke swansea etc

Martin? Are you Hollowhead in disguise?

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wouldn't like to play Bristol City in the playoffs over two legs. I reckon they'd have the beating of us.

Would rather player Cardiff, Villa or Boro.

Wouldn't want to play Sheff Utd either.

I assume not based on that performance, we were awful and should have won by 3+ goals.

5 minutes ago, LincsRam said:

Time for my rant about Russell ( & he isnt alone in deserving one as Lawrence & Thorne werent very clever either).

The good; The freekick was great, very unlucky not to score. A couple of runs into the box were fantastic, he scares the crap out of defenders.

The bad; As normal the end product is abysmal, he has at least one good goalward bound shot per game, a powder puff shot and then skies at least 3 over. The final ball is awful, he invariably hits the oponent, sometimes this gets lucky and richochets to our man but often the move breaks down. Losing the ball when its easier to keep it, 5 yards from an opponent and lets them close him down and nearly always loses the ball.

I wake every morning and hope he hasnt signed that contract, he is so frustrating to watch, at times his dribbling and running is awesome, the othere 99% of the time he is so bad its shocking.

Tonight I would have taken him, Lawrence & Nugent off and left Vydra on.

Trouble is, to do that we would probably have had to put Hanson on.

Weimann can’t play in midfield.

We need a running midfielder.

Agree that we should have had a penalty but we had 90 mins to win that. 

We might not have scored it?

What's more frustrating was the Winnall chance. The Russell opportunity. Stuff like that we don't leave to a referee decision. Put them away. 

Jerome did look tw@ flapping about. I thought those high speed winds had took him 

3 minutes ago, LincsRam said:

Time for my rant about Russell ( & he isnt alone in deserving one as Lawrence & Thorne werent very clever either).

The good; The freekick was great, very unlucky not to score. A couple of runs into the box were fantastic, he scares the crap out of defenders.

The bad; As normal the end product is abysmal, he has at least one good goalward bound shot per game, a powder puff shot and then skies at least 3 over. The final ball is awful, he invariably hits the oponent, sometimes this gets lucky and richochets to our man but often the move breaks down. Losing the ball when its easier to keep it, 5 yards from an opponent and lets them close him down and nearly always loses the ball.

I wake every morning and hope he hasnt signed that contract, he is so frustrating to watch, at times his dribbling and running is awesome, the othere 99% of the time he is so bad its shocking.

Tonight I would have taken him, Lawrence & Nugent off and left Vydra on.

Good post, I would argue with only one part. I don’t consider any free kick that isn’t on target to be considered great. That aside agree wholeheartedly. Has a player, played so poorly and stayed on for a full 90? I suggested earlier, we need another winger and midfielder on loan to bolster the squad to see us over the line 

2 minutes ago, Whitley ram said:

Play like that till the end of the season and we will be OK. Yes we should have won because we had the best chances and were denied a penalty, but if we look back on previous games there were plenty of times that we got lucky as well. From the point of view from a pub in whitley bay we looked The better team and most likely to win. Clean sheets get promotions COYR

Any sign of Dracula mate, we could do with a bit of bite in midfield.

OK I've calmed down a bit after that decision. It wasn't given, **** happens and we'll have to move on. We didn't play brilliantly, there were some disappointing performances, e.g Thorne, Russell, Lawrence. Howevere, here are some positives that I think we can take from the game going forward for the final 18 matches.

• Carson didn't have a good game. He didn't have to. Defence were solid, I'm more and more impressed with Keogh and Davies after each game that passes.
  • We created a lot of chances against a team that this season has been one of the best. On another day we would score a couple of those and it looks like a comfortable victory. If we create chances like that in most games, there won't be many we don't win.
  • We've kept a promotion rival at bay. Both teams obviously wanted the win but a draw suits us better than them. If they'd beaten us they'd be two points behind and full of confidence. But in reality they never really looked like winning the game, their one clear chance came from a mistake. I can't see them being able to gain 5/6 points on us with the way both teams are going.
  • Cameron Jerome is a menace. He's strong, has great presence and didn't look too slow to me either. Some of the biggest and best performing CBs this season couldn't deal with him, he's going to win us a decent amount of points if that's what he offers when he comes on.
  • Barring an off day, I just can't see this team losing. We'll almost certainly lose again before now and the end of the season but it certainly won't be many. Watching our rivals, Villa, Cardiff & Bristol City, they look good but I can't see them losing fewer games than us. That's what matters. Any team that finishes above us this season will be promoted imo.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think that we were poor in front of goal, but for me it doesn't actually matter. There is no way a ref should be making a decision to book Jerome for a dive, for such a clear penalty. Even if we didn't take our chances outfield, the likelihood is, we would have scored the penalty,and gained 3 points on Bristol. If we miss out on promotion by 2 points, it's due to the refereeing decision in this game.

I agree I want to know why VAR CAN disallow a goal for off side but why don' they say it's a pen poor ref very disappointed 

Just now, Derbylad92 said:

I agree I want to know why VAR CAN disallow a goal for off side but why don' they say it's a pen poor ref very disappointed 

Because they don't use VAR in the Championship? Only using it as a trial in the cups. That being said, if VAR was used we 100% get a penalty.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I assume not based on that performance, we were awful and should have won by 3+ goals.

That was Bristol City probably at their worst, and even still I thought they looked quite tidy at times. They're probably the sort of side which would beat us at Ashton Gate and frustrate us at PP. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wouldn't like to play Bristol City in the playoffs over two legs. I reckon they'd have the beating of us.

Would rather player Cardiff, Villa or Boro.

Wouldn't want to play Sheff Utd either.

Disagree with that. Bristol looked very poor tonight. With better finishing, we would have smashed them similar to how how Villa smashed them. Bristol aren't streetwise like the teams you listed so I think that will cost them long term. They're a bit like Derby a few years ago, when they play well, they play very well but when it isn't clicking for them even just a bit, they don't have a plan b.

Another frustrating game. Took a long time to get going.

i thought johnny played well but he and Lawrence tend to over elaborate. Prefer weimanns pace as one of the three. We missed Ledley as well.

vydra had the chance of the game. Johnny unlucky with the free kick.

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

Good post, I would argue with only one part. I don’t consider any free kick that isn’t on target to be considered great. That aside agree wholeheartedly. Has a player, played so poorly and stayed on for a full 90? I suggested earlier, we need another winger and midfielder on loan to bolster the squad to see us over the line 

At least Ryan Kent didn't come on and score the winner, but I agree we need a central midfielder with forward momentum, can't keep leaving it to Keogh.

Carson - 6 - had nowt to do.

Wisdom - 7 - defensively excellent, not so much going forwards

Keogh - 7 - a couple of incorrect defensive decisions but recognised them immediately and covered himself.

Davies - 8 - MOTM - first time I've really watched him properly. Reading of the game was excellent and timing of tackles and interceptions was brilliant.

Forsyth - 6 - got beaten a couple of times one on one but didn't too much wrong.

Huddlestone - 7 - fantastic defensive work and a calm presence when receiving the ball. Lacked a bit of care in his forward passes and took the easy a couple of times when passes were on out wide.

Thorne - 6 - rusty and guilty of trying a bit too hard. Good work to halt a breakaway at the start of the second half. Made Huddlestone look mobile at times.

Lawrence - 5 - don't want to sound like a hater here but I've honestly never seen him have a good game. Seems to be far too narrow all the time and not seen a cross onto a Derby head yet. Works hard defensively, perhaps struggling to balance that with his attacking commitments.

Vydra - 5 - given no space for much of the game but missed a good chance that he should have made the keeper work harder to save.

Russell - 6 - same as always. Gets into great areas, does the hard work then fluffs his lines trying to rocket the ball at 90mph into the top corner when a side foot placed finish will do.

Nugent - 6 - good awareness to play Vydra in, pressed their defenders well, but seemed half a yard slower when played in and didn't make enough stick.

Subs: all 6. Winnall should start the next game.

Archived