Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David

Boring Sports

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

athletics is dull dull dull. sure the 100metres final is good (and impossible to get bored in 10 seconds) but there's a lot of crappy events

Have you been to a live athletics event? I go to the Olympic Stadium or Perry Barr for the National Champs every year. It is a great event.  

 

Share this post


Link to post

Can a sport being boring but enjoyable at the same time?

Example to stick out there is American Football, now for a long time I have bashed it for being boring, which I still do, but I've actually put some time into watching bits this past year.

@Srg bless him has been educating me on bits, and I really do appreciate the tactical side of the game but it's so stop start with commercial breaks, I guess it's my 4 year old attention span that struggles to really get sucked into it. 

Also it's cheesy, very cheesy. The theme tune sounds like that from The Gladiators what was on ITV, half expecting The Rock, Vin Diesel and Steven Segal at any point to come charging into the studio guns blazing.

Ponchos and oxygen is worse than Barcelona players rolling around the pitch and the way they list the fixtures away side first @ ugh, grates on me more than I should.

Anyway, whilst the game is actually being played it's quite entertaining, just find it hard to tolerate everything else that comes with it, hence the boring tag.

Doesn't help either when you hold no affection to any side, how can you thousands of miles across the pond, do you just pick a team that sounds cool or has a nice kit, or is it a chance to be a glory hunter as being a Derby fan we're unlikely to experience glory on that scale?

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, David said:

Can a sport being boring but enjoyable at the same time?

Example to stick out there is American Football, now for a long time I have bashed it for being boring, which I still do, but I've actually put some time into watching bits this past year.

@Srg bless him has been educating me on bits, and I really do appreciate the tactical side of the game but it's so stop start with commercial breaks, I guess it's my 4 year old attention span that struggles to really get sucked into it. 

Also it's cheesy, very cheesy. The theme tune sounds like that from The Gladiators what was on ITV, half expecting The Rock, Vin Diesel and Steven Segal at any point to come charging into the studio guns blazing.

Ponchos and oxygen is worse than Barcelona players rolling around the pitch and the way they list the fixtures away side first @ ugh, grates on me more than I should.

Anyway, whilst the game is actually being played it's quite entertaining, just find it hard to tolerate everything else that comes with it, hence the boring tag.

Doesn't help either when you hold no affection to any side, how can you thousands of miles across the pond, do you just pick a team that sounds cool or has a nice kit, or is it a chance to be a glory hunter as being a Derby fan we're unlikely to experience glory on that scale?

 

A lot of the reasons people have for following a side are similar to those of foreigners who've started following Derby (we've had a few of those told on here).

 

For me, I befriended a group of lads from New Orleans a while back who I'm now really close to and they're all diehard Saints fans - so it was easy for me to get into following them. Also it helped immensely with getting into the sport that they were so enthusiastic about it.

Also I'm doing pretty well at turning them into Derby fans. A few of them can't get into football, but the fans more into sport in general have once they watched it enough. Plus they get every single premier league game over there, so once Derby get promoted they'll basically be a New Orleans supporters club.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

A lot of the reasons people have for following a side are similar to those of foreigners who've started following Derby (we've had a few of those told on here).

 

For me, I befriended a group of lads from New Orleans a while back who I'm now really close to and they're all diehard Saints fans - so it was easy for me to get into following them. Also it helped immensely with getting into the sport that they were so enthusiastic about it.

Also I'm doing pretty well at turning them into Derby fans. A few of them can't get into football, but the fans more into sport in general have once they watched it enough. Plus they get every single premier league game over there, so once Derby get promoted they'll basically be a New Orleans supporters club.

I'm sure Scott likes the Ravens through The Wire being set in Baltimore, I would need more than that or a pen pal in the States to get seriously hooked on to a side. Derby was purely a location thing and being taken by my Dad, don't remember it being anything that because mates did it at school.

Not knocking people, each to their own, it is interesting how people landed on a team, think I'd have to move out there or something and pick a local side that grew over years, knowing my luck they'd relocate to the other side of the states 2 months in.

Share this post


Link to post

I find a lot of sports boring to watch...but I'd enjoy playing them. Darts, golf and snooker for example (come to think of it should any of those be really considered sports?).

Don't know how athletics is considered the most exciting though.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, David said:

Can a sport being boring but enjoyable at the same time?

Example to stick out there is American Football, now for a long time I have bashed it for being boring, which I still do, but I've actually put some time into watching bits this past year.

@Srg bless him has been educating me on bits, and I really do appreciate the tactical side of the game but it's so stop start with commercial breaks, I guess it's my 4 year old attention span that struggles to really get sucked into it. 

Also it's cheesy, very cheesy. The theme tune sounds like that from The Gladiators what was on ITV, half expecting The Rock, Vin Diesel and Steven Segal at any point to come charging into the studio guns blazing.

Ponchos and oxygen is worse than Barcelona players rolling around the pitch and the way they list the fixtures away side first @ ugh, grates on me more than I should.

Anyway, whilst the game is actually being played it's quite entertaining, just find it hard to tolerate everything else that comes with it, hence the boring tag.

Doesn't help either when you hold no affection to any side, how can you thousands of miles across the pond, do you just pick a team that sounds cool or has a nice kit, or is it a chance to be a glory hunter as being a Derby fan we're unlikely to experience glory on that scale?

 

I used to think some of those things too Dave but find me a sport that isn't cheesy. They all are in their own way, the NFL just has an american slant on it which some people don't get but it's their way of entertainment. It's no worse than STBW, "Cooome onnnn youuuu raaaaams", "come on wave those flags" etc. 

Not sure how to advise you on your team pick. I kinda fell on mine whilst being in Vegas this time last year. We were in a sports bar in the Planet Hollywood casino watching Dallas vs Green Bay in a divisional round play off, was rammed packed with Cowboys fans and they kinda adopted us into their group so ever since then it's been the Cowboys. I've casually followed it for a few years, soft spots for the obvious Rams and also SF 49'ers but that's probably because of the fame. 

If you get chance I'd take in Hard Knocks on SKY or "All or Nothing" on Amazon Prime, both are really good (the latter being brilliant IMO), they give a really good background view of the NFL.

The best thing to do if you're wanting to watch it casually without all the ******** is to tune into Redzone on Sky Sports on a sunday around 6. There won't be a proper program on now as the regular season has finished but throughout their season it's really good. Just shows the best bits really. 

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, David said:

I'm sure Scott likes the Ravens through The Wire being set in Baltimore, I would need more than that or a pen pal in the States to get seriously hooked on to a side. Derby was purely a location thing and being taken by my Dad, don't remember it being anything that because mates did it at school.

Not knocking people, each to their own, it is interesting how people landed on a team, think I'd have to move out there or something and pick a local side that grew over years, knowing my luck they'd relocate to the other side of the states 2 months in.

Franchises is one concept I'll never be OK with. Just utterly bizarre to me.

I'm glad the team I picked is as deep rooted as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Hucknall Ram said:

Out of the top five I play four of them :unsure:

I'd take a wild guess that American Football is the odd one out.

Basically you like your sport with meal breaks built in, a decent 19th hole to whet the whistle, or failing that not having to leave the bar to begin with?

Fair play, I can't fault you.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'd take a wild guess that American Football is the odd one out.

Basically you like your sport with meal breaks built in, a decent 19th hole to whet the whistle, or failing that not having to leave the bar to begin with?

Fair play, I can't fault you.

You know me too well lol, Yes Egg-Hand is the sport I don't play

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, David said:

Has anyone got the attention span to watch an entire game of cricket? 

Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ.jpeg

 

15 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Too many beers.

I’m more worried about the hairdo and the United flag, not enough style to be a cricket fan.?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.