Boring Sports

David

You have studied American Football?

Oh behave.

It takes a life time and that just demonstrates your ignorance. So you're an expert in cricket, both types of rugby and American football, are you?

And the money demands it is played at the highest level because of the investment by team owners. That creates a need to constantly innovate and improve. The bar keep going up an up.

An average NFL teams pay close on $150m per annum on salaries for players alone.

They pay more for mid-level coaches than most cricket pays for the entire staff. The expectations are so much higher it's not even funny.

Great players from as little time ago as the 80's would never make it now, they are way too small and slow.

Gareth Edwards, would still walk into any Wales team. And half (maybe more) of the English team that won the World Cup would be welcomed with open arms.

It hasn't evolved anything like AF has in terms of the speed and size of the athletes along with the mental dexterity needed to play the skill positions.

And no, it's nothing like Rugby Union or League. I played union for years and one of my best mates is a coach for a top league team (very top), and it's not even remotely close.

I have watched AF or over 30 years and I'm still learning about the tactics and the technical skill required.

Any remotely athletic person can pick up rugby in a few hours and compete. You'll get killed playing AF in that time, hence why almost every rugby player who attempts it, fails miserably.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/04/2018 at 17:34, Bob The Badger said:

I've lived in the US since 2006, but have been a massive fan of the L A Rams (of course) for over 30 years and been to many games.

It's the most technical game there is. The tactics are more akin to chess and the players are literally the best athletes out there.

You've got guys who are 25 stone and can run a sub 5 second 40-yard dash and bench press 500lb. Wide receivers that have Olympic level speed and running backs who are like lightening whilst carrying 16 stone of muscle.

You never get a stupid QB because the game it too complex. 

Just about every top class rugby player or athlete who tries to make it into the NFL without a knowledge of the game, fails miserably.

It actually isn't as much knowing the rules as it is the tactics and what goes behind what they are doing.

I'd rather watch an NFL game that didn't involve the (LA) Rams than I would watch a Championship game that didn't involve Derby.

I hate baseball and basketball, but gridiron is awesome.

I was more laughing at Daveo there because he has been laughing at me for years for loving the sport. 

I'm a Cowboys fan myself and I currently live near Nashville, TN now. Where abouts are you at? I'm assuming it's not LA as you chose the Rams for the Derby connection. 

On 18/01/2018 at 10:00, David said:

The question is, would darts be enjoyable to watch live without the alcohol?

Darts is amazing to watch as long as you care who wins.

It is like watching FA Cup football without the 90mins...and just watching extra time and penalties several times on fast forward.

No other sport has so many heart in mouth moments and turning points in the game. 

Get that if you don't care its monotonous. But its great if you do. Once had a party and with some Dutch friends watched a big final between English v Holland player and it was amazing.

People who play golf are the definitely the most boring ever. They insist on talking you through every shot they play....zzzzzz

I'll defend golf as a sport to play. With the right people who don't take it too seriously it can be a laugh. Beautiful scenery as well if you're lucky so it's like having a stroll around a park hitting a ball about. The biggest issue for me is 90% of people who play golf are tossers. And their kids at the driving range are little ungrateful gits too. There's always an excuse if players mess up. "Oh I should have used this club instead." "I'm still getting used to my new £500 driver." Buying state of the art football boots won't make you a better footballer either......

You can play with cheap clubs from Sports Direct and it'd be exactly the same result. Went to a "golf day" with work once. It was pretty much a business meeting whilst walking around with a heavy bag on my back all afternoon. Dull and bloody boring. Thankfully I know a couple of lads who are great to play with and if we mess up, we don't care and laugh our misfortunes off. 

There's potential with golf but it's the majority of people who play it are morons who I cannot stand. 

7 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

I'll defend golf as a sport to play. With the right people who don't take it too seriously it can be a laugh. Beautiful scenery as well if you're lucky so it's like having a stroll around a park hitting a ball about. The biggest issue for me is 90% of people who play golf are tossers. And their kids at the driving range are little ungrateful gits too. There's always an excuse if players mess up. "Oh I should have used this club instead." "I'm still getting used to my new £500 driver." Buying state of the art football boots won't make you a better footballer either......

You can play with cheap clubs from Sports Direct and it'd be exactly the same result. Went to a "golf day" with work once. It was pretty much a business meeting whilst walking around with a heavy bag on my back all afternoon. Dull and bloody boring. Thankfully I know a couple of lads who are great to play with and if we mess up, we don't care and laugh our misfortunes off. 

There's potential with golf but it's the majority of people who play it are morons who I cannot stand. 

I can't stand people who take too much time, 3 practise swings, reading every putt no matter how far, using the full 5 minutes to search for a ball etc.

Hit ball, find ball and hit again, no need to practise when you're probably so poor you're not practising the right thing to begin with.

I like playing stableford, out of the hole after an errant shot, pick the ball up and tend the flag, start again on the next tee.

Anymore than 1 practise swing you should be shot.

Anymore than 3.5 hours for a fourball is a joke.

On 20/04/2018 at 21:10, Bob The Badger said:

It hasn't evolved anything like AF has in terms of the speed and size of the athletes along with the mental dexterity needed to play the skill positions.

I like American Football, but rarely get to see much of it. But I think it's a bit harsh to talk about the evolution in size and speed of players in Rugby Union. Simple example, take a look at the All Blacks side in 1973, and compare to current side. 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:10, Bob The Badger said:

You have studied American Football?

Oh behave.

It takes a life time and that just demonstrates your ignorance. So you're an expert in cricket, both types of rugby and American football, are you? 

Well a harsher person than me would point out that that is exactly what you are claiming to be. 

I was merely offering an opinion. 

On 14/03/2018 at 16:19, MuespachRam said:

Rugby - Played by rubbish, talentless fat footballers.

Winter Olympics - Full of privileged white competitors.

Tennis - See Winter Olympics.

Boxing - No skill, just hitting someone as hard as possible.

UFC etc etc - Fake - Not even a sport it is the 2000's version of 1970's Saturday afternoon Wrestling.

Rugby, totally agree

Winter Olympics, it is a bit of entertainment in their though

Tennis, would replace with Cycling, best drug user wins

Boxing, it’s ok replace with F1, best car wins

UFC, seriously? You called this a sport, it’s a pantomime at best

• 1 month later...
On 26/04/2018 at 10:47, SouthStandDan said:

Spot on.

One thing I would add that always has me laughing on the inside when encountering the £500 club buffoon golfers you discuss -  I know a few work-related golfers who, while talking about golf, will sort of absent-mindedly ponce about practising their swing - a bit like playing air guitar.

On 20/04/2018 at 20:00, Bob The Badger said:

Mate, it's not even close. That's like asking me, is draughts more technical than chess? I mean, come on, they're both played on a board and both require tactics, so they must be the same, right?

I played cricket for a number of years and I had a season ticket for Derbyshire for close on 20 years and regularly went to see England play. From about 15 to 35 I frickin loved cricket.

But it's not even close.

Have you played American Football?

Have you watched and studied it?

Or, are you just presuming you know what you're talking about because you think you should know what you're talking about?

Because let's face it, it's just a bunch of fat lads throwing themselves at each other, right?

Just because the main franchises are worth north of $1.5b and the top players earn $20m per annum, what owner or fans would expect tactics.

Nah, just turn up. Nobody cares if you are athletic, understand tactics or can run a route tree.

Whereas cricket, most players who aren't at the upper echelon are part time.

Zero people in the NFL are part time, and as such most players leave the league within 4 years because it's so brutal.

Have you a valid point to make that is actually based in knowledge and understanding rather than an insular uneducated (on the sport) attitude?

If so, share it. Otherwise you just look silly.

This thread has to be the most subjective one here. It's about what rings your bell - or not, so every view is completely valid, expertise has nothing to do with it.

As for me, apart from football it is Crown Green Bowling all the way.

You can't beat the heart in your mouth- cold fingers running down your spine - horror moments as you watch your bowl veer away, then a load of annoying ducks land on the rink and the break in tension is unbelievable.

It's a massive franchise sport in waiting ... once it gets going we will be talking trillions not billions.

• 5 weeks later...

American football. Very boring.

Chess. Not great but more interesting that American football.

Anything involving horses. Boring.

Anything involving cars. Ultra boring (unless it's the old stock car racing)

Rugby Union. Boring egg chasing.

Rugby League. Boring eg chasing, if slightly less so than union.

Golf. Exceptionally boring.

Darts. Boring.

Snooker: Alright.

Tennis. Mostly boring but sometimes very exciting.

Winter anything. Weirdly interesting for five minutes. Then boring.

Cricket. Interesting and sometimes very exciting.

Athletics. Half and half.

Swimming. Deadly boring.

Baseball. Interesting on TV. Live, it's awesome.

Football. The greatest game on earth.

Beach volleyball. Tops the lot. 

Archived