Boring Sports

David

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Golf is the most boring to watch... and I enjoy playing golf!

everybody saying darts clearly haven't seen it live... it's an utter drinkfest and is amazing! 

So basically it's like going to an overcrowded pub and watching some lager louts throw darts? 

Boring on tele and boring live. 

They're all boring to watch. 

Even european football, and international football

MOTD. And channel 5 football - boring.

anything with clive tyldesly - very boring

A Question of Sport is very very boring.

I can't think of a single sport i'd want to watch

Tennis is utter dross. Never any errors and rarely any upsets, played by posh ponces and watched by West London luvvies. Tolerable only if McEnroe was playing.

NFL is just adverts with 20 seconds of live action chess in between.

Basketball is far too repetitive and played by physical freaks.

Baseball is awful. Could be nearly as good as Test cricket, but Americans don't have any banter and you can't take your own hamper into Yankee Stadium.

Darts and snooker are not sports. Snooker is decent to watch on TV to relax to, darts is just an overpriced booze up live and utterly pointless on TV.

Cycling makes no sense to me on the road, but the Velodrome stuff is pretty good.

A lot of track and field doesn't translate well to television.

The Masters golf is nice to look at, the rest is rubbish.

Rugby league is too Northern.

Rugby union is too Barbour jacket, Hunter Wellies and Range Rovers.

Swimming is very one dimensional - no skill or tactics required.

Horse racing is not a sport, but organised animal cruelty aimed at keeping the betting companies in the black and extorting money from gambling addicts.

The rest are good.

Not a boring sport by any means but one ruined by people from North America...... Ice Hockey.

Went to Canada last year and fancied a go at watching an ice hockey match, Canadians live and breathe ice hockey similar to how us lot love our football. Since tickets were sparse, I paid £80 for a decent seat. I was on holiday, didn't want to be a tight arse. Got to the arena early, loads of fans at the bars opposite. Spoke to some top class people who loved Toronto Maple Leafs, gave me great advice for my travels and where the best bars were in the city. Fantastic folks. Pre-match rivaled a few away days in terms of having a laugh. Whilst watching the game however it frustrated the **** out of me. 

I knew to expect the cliche North American guff like kiss-cam, the dreaded Mexican Wave. Didn't mind it too much. The entertainment tried desperately hard to cover up the lack of atmosphere. The fans had one chant, one!! I was tempted to throw one in (still hadn't fully sobered up 20mins in). One song did get tedious. The game itself was brilliant to watch when the game was allowed to flow. Fast paced, the players fully committed at challenges. The odd fight thrown in. But the game stopped every 4-5 mins for about 3-4 mins. I didn't see any reason to do it other than commercial breaks. The officials on the side come out and clear the pitch of soft ice but even I'm not that thick, groundsman don't come out with their forks before a corner and we all wait 5 minutes because there's a rogue divot. The game itself lasts 60mins in play. There was around 60-80mins of breaks and commercials. For someone who's used to watching uninterrupted 45mins of play, my willpower was tested severely. Bare in mind tickets are expensive as well, pure greed.

Ok you've got Notts Panthers over here but as expected the quality in class is premier league and non league. I watched the game back on highlights and it was awesome as I remember when there was actual play. It's such a shame. More advertisement than play is so so wrong.

10 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Not a boring sport by any means but one ruined by people from North America...... Ice Hockey.

Went to Canada last year and fancied a go at watching an ice hockey match, Canadians live and breathe ice hockey similar to how us lot love our football. Since tickets were sparse, I paid £80 for a decent seat. I was on holiday, didn't want to be a tight arse. Got to the arena early, loads of fans at the bars opposite. Spoke to some top class people who loved Toronto Maple Leafs, gave me great advice for my travels and where the best bars were in the city. Fantastic folks. Pre-match rivaled a few away days in terms of having a laugh. Whilst watching the game however it frustrated the **** out of me. 

I knew to expect the cliche North American guff like kiss-cam, the dreaded Mexican Wave. Didn't mind it too much. The entertainment tried desperately hard to cover up the lack of atmosphere. The fans had one chant, one!! I was tempted to throw one in (still hadn't fully sobered up 20mins in). One song did get tedious. The game itself was brilliant to watch when the game was allowed to flow. Fast paced, the players fully committed at challenges. The odd fight thrown in. But the game stopped every 4-5 mins for about 3-4 mins. I didn't see any reason to do it other than commercial breaks. The officials on the side come out and clear the pitch of soft ice but even I'm not that thick, groundsman don't come out with their forks before a corner and we all wait 5 minutes because there's a rogue divot. The game itself lasts 60mins in play. There was around 60-80mins of breaks and commercials. For someone who's used to watching uninterrupted 45mins of play, my willpower was tested severely. Bare in mind tickets are expensive as well, pure greed.

Ok you've got Notts Panthers over here but as expected the quality in class is premier league and non league. I watched the game back on highlights and it was awesome as I remember when there was actual play. It's such a shame. More advertisement than play is so so wrong.

Sounds a lot like American Football and why I don't think I could ever truly get into it, whilst the game is being played great, but the back to the studio for a commercial break kills any flow. I understand the claims are to discuss tactics, regroup and that but come on, do that on the fly, you have 2 players with headsets on to the coach, quick 30 second huddle before each play and keep the game flowing. 

Just now, richinspain said:

I like to watch darts, and I remember darts being Jockey Wilson and Leighton Rees ?

Its a good thing that its improved then :)

I'll do this by exception. Boxing is OK, cricket is OK, rugby union is OK when England are playing and olympic athletics is OK. Football is god's gift to humanity. Everything else can **** off. Except Ronnie O'Sullivan. He's worth watching.

Honourable mention for the most boring and over-rated sport is tennis, or golf. Or anything with an engine required and anything where there's water/snow/ice involved. Or horses. God save us from the tedium of watching bloody horses. 

Some sports like Baseball and Cricket are only good when you go with a group of mates, get drunk and just make a day/evening of it. The action is hardly riveting stuff but there is great skill involved. I assume Darts is similar.

Of the North American sports Ice Hockey is my favourite. Great-paced, lively atmosphere (depending on which game you go to - a Canadian derby with Vancouver and Calgary is brilliant) and some fights too.

Boxing can be a mixed bag. You can get great fights, you can get horrible fights. 

I'd say the most boring has to be golf. Any sport can be fun to play, but to watch it even live, I can't imagine they'll allow you to go in a group of friends and have a few drinks a long the way. Plus, pretty sure talking is forbidden during moments in play. No thanks.

Gymnastics. How is that an enjoyable one to watch? I can get any track events being enjoyabe to watch, swimming too, but come on gymnastics? Snooker is another one I find boring to watch. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Even our topics encourage negativity!

‘Boring’ sports are ones in which the obvious skills of the participants are not appreciated by the watcher.

If they don’t float your boat, watch something else - or better still, do something else!

Booing the team?

post negative comments to wind up ppl?

Complain about the weather forecasters because they got part of it wrong?

I suppose the list is endless

Archived