Boring Sports

Day

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rugby has to be up there for me.  Except for the 7's at the Olympics, that was great due to the shortened game length.

Can't play golf to save my life, which is why I find watching it all the more enjoyable.  The skill involved to play it at the highest level is incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Rugby - Played by rubbish, talentless fat footballers.

Winter Olympics - Full of privileged white competitors.

Tennis - See Winter Olympics.

Boxing - No skill, just hitting someone as hard as possible.

UFC etc etc - Fake - Not even a sport it is the 2000's version of 1970's Saturday afternoon Wrestling.

14 hours ago, David said:

American Football gets better the more you understand the rules, honest. :ph34r:

Am I right in thinking when they want to try and score they have to remove the whole team from the pitch and wheel on the attacking guys?

Maybe that’s were we are going wrong? As soon as Lawrence or Vydra lose the ball, the whistle goes and we change half the team for defensive players?

20 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Rugby - Played by rubbish, talentless fat footballers.

Winter Olympics - Full of privileged white competitors.

Tennis - See Winter Olympics.

Boxing - No skill, just hitting someone as hard as possible.

UFC etc etc - Fake - Not even a sport it is the 2000's version of 1970's Saturday afternoon Wrestling.

Did you mean all this tongue in cheek??? :blink:

Boxing isn't boring in the sense that it usually doesn't last very long and there can some be high drama, but every piece of 'big fight buildup' = boring macho *****. Interviews,  trash talk, weigh-ins, videos of fitness regimes, whatever, all of it, big boring ********. Utterly tedious.

I'll save my rant about what an archaic, flawed sport that should have been left in the dark ages where it belongs is, and how hypocritical the outpouring of grief from within boxing community is when a fighter dies after a match is for another day.

Some say that horse racing is the Sport of Kings (it's not), well boxing is the Sport of ***** (Mike Hunts)

8 hours ago, Coconut said:

Boxing isn't boring in the sense that it usually doesn't last very long and there can some be high drama, but every piece of 'big fight buildup' = boring macho *****. Interviews,  trash talk, weigh-ins, videos of fitness regimes, whatever, all of it, big boring ********. Utterly tedious.

I'll save my rant about what an archaic, flawed sport that should have been left in the dark ages where it belongs is, and how hypocritical the outpouring of grief from within boxing community is when a fighter dies after a match is for another day.

Some say that horse racing is the Sport of Kings (it's not), well boxing is the Sport of ***** (Mike Hunts)

used to be a bike rider called Mike Hunt.  Never forgot the radio commentary at the TT; 'and there goes Mike Hunt over Ballaugh Bridge'.  still smiling at that, I should get a life

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 16:37, GeneralRam said:

:D

I've lived in the US since 2006, but have been a massive fan of the L A Rams (of course) for over 30 years and been to many games.

It's the most technical game there is. The tactics are more akin to chess and the players are literally the best athletes out there.

You've got guys who are 25 stone and can run a sub 5 second 40-yard dash and bench press 500lb. Wide receivers that have Olympic level speed and running backs who are like lightening whilst carrying 16 stone of muscle.

You never get a stupid QB because the game it too complex. 

Just about every top class rugby player or athlete who tries to make it into the NFL without a knowledge of the game, fails miserably.

It actually isn't as much knowing the rules as it is the tactics and what goes behind what they are doing.

I'd rather watch an NFL game that didn't involve the (LA) Rams than I would watch a Championship game that didn't involve Derby.

I hate baseball and basketball, but gridiron is awesome.

I have attempted gridiron- even looked up the rules and tried it 2017 superbowl. went to bed in the last quarter with one side miles ahead .  when I got up next day appears I missed the biggest comeback in the games history apparently .  game was just too slow for me every 15 minutes took about an hour- a bit like a game of football would be if you had VAR for every free kick .

19 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've lived in the US since 2006, but have been a massive fan of the L A Rams (of course) for over 30 years and been to many games.

It's the most technical game there is. The tactics are more akin to chess and the players are literally the best athletes out there.

You've got guys who are 25 stone and can run a sub 5 second 40-yard dash and bench press 500lb. Wide receivers that have Olympic level speed and running backs who are like lightening whilst carrying 16 stone of muscle.

You never get a stupid QB because the game it too complex. 

Just about every top class rugby player or athlete who tries to make it into the NFL without a knowledge of the game, fails miserably.

It actually isn't as much knowing the rules as it is the tactics and what goes behind what they are doing.

I'd rather watch an NFL game that didn't involve the (LA) Rams than I would watch a Championship game that didn't involve Derby.

I hate baseball and basketball, but gridiron is awesome.

More technical than cricket? Pfft

Maybe slightly more athletic.

43 minutes ago, sage said:

More technical than cricket? Pfft

Maybe slightly more athletic.

Mate, it's not even close. That's like asking me, is draughts more technical than chess? I mean, come on, they're both played on a board and both require tactics, so they must be the same, right?

I played cricket for a number of years and I had a season ticket for Derbyshire for close on 20 years and regularly went to see England play. From about 15 to 35 I frickin loved cricket.

But it's not even close.

Have you played American Football?

Have you watched and studied it?

Or, are you just presuming you know what you're talking about because you think you should know what you're talking about?

Because let's face it, it's just a bunch of fat lads throwing themselves at each other, right?

Just because the main franchises are worth north of $1.5b and the top players earn $20m per annum, what owner or fans would expect tactics.

Nah, just turn up. Nobody cares if you are athletic, understand tactics or can run a route tree.

Whereas cricket, most players who aren't at the upper echelon are part time.

Zero people in the NFL are part time, and as such most players leave the league within 4 years because it's so brutal.

Have you a valid point to make that is actually based in knowledge and understanding rather than an insular uneducated (on the sport) attitude?

If so, share it. Otherwise you just look silly.

22 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Mate, it's not even close. That's like asking me, is draughts more technical than chess? I mean, come on, they're both played on a board and both require tactics, so they must be the same, right?

I played cricket for a number of years and I had a season ticket for Derbyshire for close on 20 years and regularly went to see England play. From about 15 to 35 I frickin loved cricket.

But it's not even close.

Have you played American Football?

Have you watched and studied it?

Or, are you just presuming you know what you're talking about because you think you should know what you're talking about?

Because let's face it, it's just a bunch of fat lads throwing themselves at each other, right?

Just because the main franchises are worth north of $1.5b and the top players earn $20m per annum, what owner or fans would expect tactics.

Nah, just turn up. Nobody cares if you are athletic, understand tactics or can run a route tree.

Whereas cricket, most players who aren't at the upper echelon are part time.

Zero people in the NFL are part time, and as such most players leave the league within 4 years because it's so brutal.

Have you a valid point to make that is actually based in knowledge and understanding rather than an insular uneducated (on the sport) attitude?

If so, share it. Otherwise you just look silly.

Nice overreaction.

Yes i have studied it. It's certainly more technical than Rugby League and similar to Rugby Union in terms of invasion games. 

All county cricketers are full time in the sense they play all the season on a salary. Cricket is the most technical game I have played, coached or studied.

I would have thought the Decathlon is more technical than pretty much anything.

P.s. not sure what that money has to do with it.

Archived