Ipswich Town F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Automatic promotion is about the relentless winning of games, where any team below the top two on a run of form gets demoralized when they see they've taken 13 points from 15 yet haven't made any ground up. Cardiff have stumbled. We need to win and then win on Monday and then win again and not show the slightest sign of weakness.

If we start saying, we're happy with draw then in two or three games' time, Leeds or someone else will be above us, or Bristol City will have created a gap. We have put ourselves in the position where we are contenders and with that comes pressure in every single match. We potentially have 22 cup finals to the end of the season. We can rise to the challenge this time and start to stride away from the rest of the division, or we can accept we're not quite there yet and be a team hoping for the one in four chance that the playoffs provide. As we have in all our recent seasons.

Now is the time we'll really see what our players are made of and if there's enough steel and know-how in this new lineup. And it is the time when Rowett will be properly tested. As I said earlier in the thread, we need to rotate the squad today and turn our huge numbers into a strength with which to smite the opposition. As long as the whole squad is pulling together, fresh legs today and on Monday should give us a huge advantage over Ipswich and then Sheffield United.

Come on you Rams!

ohhh...a like just for that phrase. 

In fact, that whole paragraph could be a Samuel L Jackson line from Pulp Fiction...with Biblical references

Anyone else think that Brett looks like Tom Lawrence?

Decent team. I'd have Martin to start so the ball sticks upfield and we build a platform, with Winnall off the bench to batter their defenders halfway through the second half. But Ipswich are very direct, so perhaps the thinking is that when we lose the ball they'll give it us back quickly. 

If I were Martin I'd either head for Wolves or rejoin McClaren at Wednesday in January. I think that's sad and I'd have loved Rowett to have given him a chance this season, but Rowett has earnt the right to make these decisions. 

Winnall up front on his own? Hope I look like an idiot after the game but that looks an appalling decision to me. From what I’ve seen Winnall is a bent like poacher, not a number 9 like Martin and Nugent, decent player off the bench but I can’t see the ball sticking with him, or him being intelligent enough to link up as well with vydra. Think him starting adds substance to what I’ve heard of martins imminent departure. Don’t think we will see him down the derby shirt again.

Cant really Argue with the rest of the changes, Baird has played a lot recently for a guy of his age and the strength of wisdom will be useful against a team like Ipswich. Lawrence in with Johnson out was a no brainier, worrying to see ledley out given our form without him, but it does allow the two best passers to play for derby in my lifetime to line up alongside each other for the very first time, imagine if they do work! Weimann for Russell is the only other one I’d question, weimann has been the better player this season, tho potentially is tired tbf and Russell has done well off the bench so I suppose it’s understandable.

Archived