Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

Seems like the thread is being derailed into some idle speculation without having all the facts.  I'm sure someone in the know will clarify shortly and the gates issue will be nothing to bother about.

Very good performance today. I don't really like playing without the ball, but never looked too much like conceding.  Loved that little vignette at the end between Thorne, Martin and Huddlestone. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

@BurtonRam7...match report please Son!!

Home games = Sober = No match reports. Sorry mate!

But seriously, we operated as a single, immovable, tireless unit today. As soon as a Villa player got in behind a defender, one of our boys was there to cover. We pressed at the right times and we sat at the right times. They came close once, and obviously Mr Keogh was there to clear off the line.

Keogh has been absolutely fantastic this season, I love him to bits. To be frank, anyone who doesn't rate him is an absolute cretin. The impact of Curtis Davies and Baird/Wisdom alongside him cannot be underestimated either, they've steadied the ship for us at the back this season.

Chris Baird is the best right back we've had at the club since I started watching Derby in 2006. His corners are absolutely unreal as well.

Joe Ledley proved, once again, that he's made a monumental difference to our overall solidity since joining. Huddlestone has stepped up brilliantly in recent weeks, and was excellent again today. Still love George though.

Vydra is just so clinical in everything he does, be it slamming it into the net or laying it on a plate for Weimann. Match winner.

I still don't really rate Weimann as a footballer but he's been the difference in recent weeks and I can't knock him for his improved performances. Keep it going Andi.

Russell has been superb from the bench this season and, if Lawrence isn't quite ready, I would give him the nod against Millwall.

Nuge ran his socks off even if it wasn't his day. I do worry about how quickly his legs seem to go in the second half though, perhaps age is catching up to him.

All in all a steely performance, which is a phrase you could use to describe so many games this season. As I've said before, we have b******s now. 

I dream of automatic promotion. Up the ******* Rams.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe the attendance thing could be down to us previously counting ST numbers regardless of whether it was used or not, and now we're only counting numbers through the turnstile?

That is a very reasonable explanation for it all. Mel owes you a drink at the very least. I'd push for a free season ticket if I was you.

Massive win for you boys today, well done, really sends a message.

You must be getting at least a little bit excited, I know Wolves and Cardiff are showing few signs of dropping off the pace but you'd have settled for another play off season surely, especially as it's Rowett's first full season.

Must admit I didn't see you stringing this kind of run together earlier in the season, I had you down as being hard to beat but not blessed with huge amounts of creativity going forward. I thought GR had bought too many physical players, looks like I could well be wrong as he seems to have hit on a winning blend.

6 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Massive win for you boys today, well done, really sends a message.

You must be getting at least a little bit excited, I know Wolves and Cardiff are showing few signs of dropping off the pace but you'd have settled for another play off season surely, especially as it's Rowett's first full season.

Must admit I didn't see you stringing this kind of run together earlier in the season, I had you down as being hard to beat but not blessed with huge amounts of creativity going forward. I thought GR had bought too many physical players, looks like I could well be wrong as he seems to have hit on a winning blend.

Must admit I felt similar. Hard to beat early in the season, not pretty much of the time...but he's winning me round. It's more than agricultural football, which I feared at the beginning.

30 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe the attendance thing could be down to us previously counting ST numbers regardless of whether it was used or not, and now we're only counting numbers through the turnstile?

I was about to comment it's probably now the turn style number rather than total tickets sold (inc ST). I doubt MM is going to just put something untowards out there like that.

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

I had to check just to make sure I was watching the same game....6 tackles won, more than anyone else on the pitch, 8 headers won once again, more than anyone else, maybe everyone else wasn’t better in fact I go as far as saying that no one else was better in them areas. 

His passing wasn’t great I’ll give you that, maybe that’s what you were actually basing your view on?

Got to agree I'm not BJ biggest fan but I thought he was immense today He knows having played with Snodgrass what damage he can cause with his left foot 

Life, Love & Unity.........I've mentioned it on here a few times and I loved it when Gary Rowett said Unity a few times at the fans forum. Plenty of Life, Love & Unity in the South Stand today, they were excellent.

"Empty seats my lord, empty seats".......love it!

Enjoy another sing a long to this........brilliant....Peace!......Life, Love & Unity to you all!

1 hour ago, sage said:

I don't recall mentioning headers. If he wasn't good in the air he would be half the player. In relation to tackles from my post you will note I was referring to his general skill set not his performance in this game. If you want to particularly concentrate on this game, his passing and decision making was awful, however he worked tirelessly and almost scored.

He was OK overall. Everyone else was good to excellent.  

No you said he doesn’t win enough tackles, yet he won more than anyone else on the pitch, he also won more headers hence winning the ball, more than anyone else.  If you think he was brought into the team for his passing ability, then you’d be very much mistaken.

He did the job asked of him excellenty, you may have a different opinion which is fair enough, however you seem to be moving the goalposts on why others were better.

Just now, AdamRam said:

No you said he doesn’t win enough tackles, yet he won more than anyone else on the pitch, he also won more headers hence winning the ball, more than anyone else.  If you think he was brought into the team for his passing ability, then you’d be very much mistaken.

He did the job asked of him excellenty, you may have a different opinion which is fair enough, however you seem to be moving the goalposts on why others were better.

Compare and define the words 'doesn't' and 'didn't'.

Also you brought up headers not me. 

Others were better because they played better. I would be interested in which starters played worse than Johnson.

44 minutes ago, sage said:

Compare and define the words 'doesn't' and 'didn't'.

Also you brought up headers not me. 

Others were better because they played better. I would be interested in which starters played worse than Johnson.

Why not focus on the fact the team today probably worked the best as a complete unit for the last 12/18 months, being fairly comfortable against a top 6 side..... that has a dearth of talent in their ranks..... 

Can’t pick a “worse” player today or compare ehi was “worse”, maybe focus on the fact that the whole team was made up of a sum of parts who contributed pretty well together to achieve a fantastic result. 

Cracking result and never really looked in any real danger of losing.

I haven't read through all the posts yet and was wondering if somebody could save me the trouble and just tell me which of our players were crap today according to the usual forum experts?

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Cracking result and never really looked in any real danger of losing.

I haven't read through all the posts yet and was wondering if somebody could save me the trouble and just tell me which of our players were crap today according to the usual forum experts?

Chris Martin had a shocker, Bradley Johnson was poor and Johnny Russell disappointing. That's about it.

2 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Johnstone, El Mohammady, Chester, Jedinak, Taylor, Whelan, Hourihane, Snodgrass, Onomah, Adomah :thumbsup:

Said to MrRam - there's some names in that there Viilla squad.....

Just names duck....

Fcukin love my club 

Archived