Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but the atmosphere was terrific yesterday . Obviously Villas support added immensely to this. The whole crowd was singing yesterday too (not sure on the west stand) ((Sorry if you were)). I for one enjoyed the whole day yesterday , the game , the atmosphere, the performance, the win and my pint in Frankie and Bennys before hand :ph34r:

I was giving it some in the West Stand. After hearing the comments made at the fans forum where MM said some grounds make a noise on all 3 sides I thought the team needed extra noise.

Others did join in and some just clapped but the thing I noticed yesterday was people had smiles on their faces. People were enjoying the game.

I don't think you can ask for much more.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I was giving it some in the West Stand. After hearing the comments made at the fans forum where MM said some grounds make a noise on all 3 sides I thought the team needed extra noise.

Others did join in and some just clapped but the thing I noticed yesterday was people had smiles on their faces. People were enjoying the game.

I don't think you can ask for much more.

They're just pi$$ed. :mellow:

53 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I feel one of the differences today was that there was a little less expectation from the crowd. There was an acceptance that we would have far less of the ball than them. It seemed to fuel a better understanding of how we defend as a team. Around me there were many smatterings of applause when we forced them back from the wings and back towards their own goal. 

With 10 minutes to go, there was a feeling of “this is the test”. The crowd got behind the team from a defensive angle just as if they were pushing for a goal in other games which was great to hear. 

Thorne coming on added that little bit of composure to manage the game. That passage of one touch passing on the touch line really got the crowd going and believing. My favourite part of the game!

A very professional performance against a decent side who lacked a cutting edge. 

Good post.

The extra seconds taken up by Martin and Thorne, making the ball stick deep in Villa's half when they are desperate to get it forward are so important. It gives the rest of the team time to compose themselves and have a breather.

Great squad performance, credit to Rowett's game management. 

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

I feel one of the differences today was that there was a little less expectation from the crowd. There was an acceptance that we would have far less of the ball than them. It seemed to fuel a better understanding of how we defend as a team. Around me there were many smatterings of applause when we forced them back from the wings and back towards their own goal. 

With 10 minutes to go, there was a feeling of “this is the test”. The crowd got behind the team from a defensive angle just as if they were pushing for a goal in other games which was great to hear. 

Thorne coming on added that little bit of composure to manage the game. That passage of one touch passing on the touch line really got the crowd going and believing. My favourite part of the game!

A very professional performance against a decent side who lacked a cutting edge. 

Absolutely. The crowd now "understands" that just because you're being pinned back with wave after wave of opposition attack, it doesn't mean you're about to concede and lose the game. Sounds like too obvious a point but that realisation makes a huge difference. And the George-Martin combo was poetry. An interchange of about 8 passes in a very tight space down the Villa left-back berth was a sequence of "olé" moments...like 2 big tom cats playing with a mouse, whilst the young, hungry kittens (Villa) tried to steal the mouse but couldn't get a look in. Great entertainment.

I dont know how we're doing it ({though actually we could have been 3-0 up inside the first 10 minutes} but Villa had 66% possession (ie 60 minutes of possession) to our 33% (30 minutes) and yet we never really looked flustered and even when Keogh cleared the ball off the line, he had a cigar in his mouth.

Somehow, this team is rising inexorably to the summit. Credit to GR. I still don't like the style but I'm slowly converting to its success. 

9 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

It's a great post mate

i said to my dad it's almost as if there's not only had to be a transition for the he players as to what rowett wants and expects and how his side is going to play but also for us a fans 

it's a complete polar opposite to mclaeens style and I think at times this season many fans have found that transition difficult to get their heads round and accept

funny how winning games changes people's thought process

have to say without getting carried away at all, as there's still plenty to improve on going forward we're starting to look like one of those sides that just know how to win 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

It's a great post mate

i said to my dad it's almost as if there's not only had to be a transition for the he players as to what rowett wants and expects and how his side is going to play but also for us a fans 

it's a complete polar opposite to mclaeens style and I think at times this season many fans have found that transition difficult to get their heads round and accept

have to say without getting carried away at all, as there's still plenty to improve on going forward we're starting to look like one of those sides that just know how to win 

So correct. 

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

It's a great post mate

Which is exactly what we knew we couldn't do over the last 4 seasons

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. The crowd now "understands" that just because you're being pinned back with wave after wave of opposition attack, it doesn't mean you're about to concede and lose the game. Sounds like too obvious a point but that realisation makes a huge difference. And the George-Martin combo was poetry. An interchange of about 8 passes in a very tight space down the Villa left-back berth was a sequence of "olé" moments...like 2 big tom cats playing with a mouse, whilst the young, hungry kittens (Villa) tried to steal the mouse but couldn't get a look in. Great entertainment.

I dont know how we're doing it ({though actually we could have been 3-0 up inside the first 10 minutes} but Villa had 66% possession (ie 60 minutes of possession) to our 33% (30 minutes) and yet we never really looked flustered and even when Keogh cleared the ball off the line, he had a cigar in his mouth.

Somehow, this team is rising inexorably to the summit. Credit to GR. I still don't like the style but I'm slowly converting to its success. 

I think yesterday was the perfect team to play Rowetts style against. 

13 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think yesterday was the perfect team to play Rowetts style against. 

One would have thought that Stalwart Bruce would've had a ploy to counter it. He sort of did...by not playing a striker and getting the loanee from Spurs to try and destroy the Hudd-Ledley combo...which is logical but didn't happen. 

Missed the game as I’m sunburnt in Australia. Cracking result, my old man thought it was our best performance at PP this season which is great to hear (need some positivity with what is going on down here in the ashes!)

Ive said it before, I think Rowett is turning us into a Burnley. Do the basics well but have quality in attack to win you games. It works at this level and look at what Burnley are now doing in the premier league. I’ve never found their football boring and unattractive, it’s very different to Pulis, to which Rowett has been compared by some on this forum.

I think people now have to accept “Rowettball” doesn’t exist and as he himself said, is lazy criticism. We’re solid, we defend properly, earn the right to play, and then our high quality attackers (at this level) win us games.

I said to my mates i’ll start getting giddy if we beat Villa. Well I’ve started and I really think this could be our season.

Also, a good omen hopefully, last time I was in Oz 4 years ago, McC had not long taken over from Clough and we won every game while I was here!! I’m here until 5th Jan so if we do the same, we’ll be in a cracking position!

UTR!!!

4 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but the atmosphere was terrific yesterday . Obviously Villas support added immensely to this. The whole crowd was singing yesterday too (not sure on the west stand) ((Sorry if you were)). I for one enjoyed the whole day yesterday , the game , the atmosphere, the performance, the win and my pint in Frankie and Bennys before hand :ph34r:

Derby County v Aston Villa. 4th v 5th. 1 week to Christmas.

Properly football match. Jumpers for goal-posts. Ohhh...isn't it? Little Gigsy on the wing...mar-vellous. 

That for me was our most complete performance in a long time. Defensively a 10 out of 10 for me. Even though Villa were missing some very important players they have still go a wealth of talent to call upon, and yet they were reduced to only 2 shots on target in the whole match (Keogh’s awareness for that clearance off the line was almost telepathic, on the replay from behind the oppoite goal you could see how he looked across at Snodgrass and seemed to know exactly where he was going to hit it). The attack was also not far behind in quality. Gary Rowett’s system doesn’t allow for flowing team moves like in the Mac1 season, but there is still a great level of skill and movement from individuals that for me makes for an entertaining match. Before the season started I said that I saw us as a top 6 side even though we had sold Hughes and Ince, because I felt that the additions would make us more solid as a group. It’s true however that I used the returns of Thorne, Martin and Forsyth as being like new signings and they haven’t really had such an impact on the whole as I expected. As a team performance I will be giving that an 8 or even a 9 in the the prediction thread, and individuals not a single player was below a 7 or even an 8 with Keogh and Huddlestone pushing 10s. A special mention must be made however of Joe Ledley who I was a little dubious about signing before we actually did. He has been an absolute revelation. He doesn’t play at 8 or 9 out of 10 as a standout player, but he just does everything he has to do with an air of superiority just as Igor used to. He is always in the right place and he seems to have shown the rest of the team that sometimes you don’t actually have to make a tackle. Shane Nicholson on the commentary said many times how impressed he was with our defending without actually tackling anyone. All in all an excellent performance and hopefully a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

That for me was our most complete performance in a long time. Defensively a 10 out of 10 for me. Even though Villa were missing some very important players they have still go a wealth of talent to call upon, and yet they were reduced to only 2 shots on target in the whole match (Keogh’s awareness for that clearance off the line was almost telepathic, on the replay from behind the oppoite goal you could see how he looked across at Snodgrass and seemed to know exactly where he was going to hit it). The attack was also not far behind in quality. Gary Rowett’s system doesn’t allow for flowing team moves like in the Mac1 season, but there is still a great level of skill and movement from individuals that for me makes for an entertaining match. Before the season started I said that I saw us as a top 6 side even though we had sold Hughes and Ince, because I felt that the additions would make us more solid as a group. It’s true however that I used the returns of Thorne, Martin and Forsyth as being like new signings and they haven’t really had such an impact on the whole as I expected. As a team performance I will be giving that an 8 or even a 9 in the the prediction thread, and individuals not a single player was below a 7 or even an 8 with Keogh and Huddlestone pushing 10s. A special mention must be made however of Joe Ledley who I was a little dubious about signing before we actually did. He has been an absolute revelation. He doesn’t play at 8 or 9 out of 10 as a standout player, but he just does everything he has to do with an air of superiority just as Igor used to. He is always in the right place and he seems to have shown the rest of the team that sometimes you don’t actually have to make a tackle. Shane Nicholson on the commentary said many times how impressed he was with our defending without actually tackling anyone. All in all an excellent performance and hopefully a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

It’s true that the trio of Thorne Martin and Forsyth haven’t impacted as much as expected but the team isn’t set up to suit their quick on the floor passing and interchange.....when Thorne and Martin came on yesterday,they still attempt to play the flowing football of macs era but the rest of the team,other than perhaps Russell aren’t of the same mindset.

the way we play currently under Gary is undeniably very effective and productive and I was at the game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it....

However id be lying though if I said it’s the flowing,quick football that I’ve enjoyed in the past and what was briefly exhibited by the trio in the win yesterday....that play still excites me.

Just having to adjust my expectations and viewpoint I suppose.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It’s true that the trio of Thorne Martin and Forsyth haven’t impacted as much as expected but the team isn’t set up to suit their quick on the floor passing and interchange.....when Thorne and Martin came on yesterday,they still attempt to play the flowing football of macs era but the rest of the team,other than perhaps Russell aren’t of the same mindset.

the way we play currently under Gary is undeniably very effective and productive and I was at the game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it....

However id be lying though if I said it’s the flowing,quick football that I’ve enjoyed in the past and what was briefly exhibited by the trio in the win yesterday....that play still excites me.

It’s just a different approach to attacking play for me. We still see triangles and Huddleston and Ledley are more than capable of quick one touch passes, but I do like our quick turn around from defence to attack 

42 minutes ago, richinspain said:

A special mention must be made however of Joe Ledley who I was a little dubious about signing before we actually did. He has been an absolute revelation. He doesn’t play at 8 or 9 out of 10 as a standout player, but he just does everything he has to do with an air of superiority just as Igor used to. He is always in the right place and he seems to have shown the rest of the team that sometimes you don’t actually have to make a tackle.

I noticed this too yesterday, he reminded me a little bit of when we had Paul McGrath - he barely moved around the pitch, yet he was always where he needed to be.

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The way I see it Kash, we're seeing a little bit more of the good stuff, and a little less of the bad with every passing game.

We've moved into a good position league wise, the football gets better every game, for instance I can't remember many aimless channel balls to chase yesterday, and it's obvious that they're is still more improvement to be made.

Yesterday was the first match I saw Martin wasn't starting and thought 'I'm sure Rowett knows what hes doing, its probably for the best'.

Felt a bit dirty thinking it tbh, but the result and performance proved to be good, and Martin had a part to play in the end.

I'm seeing enough improvement in performances to not judge Gary on results alone, and am pretty positive about where he can take us, which I never thought I'd say 2 months back.

5 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Yam yam yam m'Lord

Yam yam yam

Yam yam yam m'Lord

Yam yam yam

You need to educate yourself; Yam Yams are from the Black Country. And we don't speak like most of the Peaky Blinders' cast either :p

Great win for us Rams today! Just need to call up a few Villa fans to rub it in!

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The way I see it Kash, we're seeing a little bit more of the good stuff, and a little less of the bad with every passing game.

We've moved into a good position league wise, the football gets better every game, for instance I can't remember many aimless channel balls to chase yesterday, and it's obvious that they're is still more improvement to be made.

Yesterday was the first match I saw Martin wasn't starting and thought 'I'm sure Rowett knows what hes doing, its probably for the best'.

Felt a bit dirty thinking it tbh, but the result and performance proved to be good, and Martin had a part to play in the end.

I'm seeing enough improvement in performances to not judge Gary on results alone, and am pretty positive about where he can take us, which I never thought I'd say 2 months back.

Yeah,I'm pretty much seeing it in the same light.....improving game on game.

I'm still not entirely comfortabe with our performance but we are winning.

Archived