Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

His form since returning has been patchy to say the least which doesn't surprise me but to say that today he would have been ripped apart if Johnson hadn't been playing in front of him is totally without any basis.

You say Fozzy isn't as good as people think he is - I've got news for you, your assessment of players isn't as good as you obviously think it is.

Then why did Johnson play at left midfield today rather than a natural winger in Russell? Rowett didn't play Johnson there just for the fun of it. My assessment may not be as good as I think it is but it is purely my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're right, or maybe I'm right and you're wrong. I'm not the only one who holds this view as many other users (including @LazloW) above hold the same reservations.

Best home performance of the season.

I must admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw the team selection. Johnson and Nugent and instead of Russell and Martin concerned me. However, although Johnson was our poorest player and Nugent missed 3 first half chances, Rowett got it spot on. Johnson's strength and 65 minutes of perpetual motion from Nugent helped set up the win. Another poster commented that Nugent needlessly ran himself into the ground. It was the constant harrying that made Villa keep making mistakes.

I thought Keogh and Huddlestone were neck and neck for MOTM until Keogh's run and pass for the second goal. The rest of the defence and Ledley weren't far behind.

7 points, or more, from the next 3 games and I will start to believe.  

Rowett has figured out that it don't matter if the other side have more of the ball as long as you do not let them do a thing with it , how many time did we force villa sideways and backwards without even needing to put a tackle in ,,,,,?i don't care what anybody says but   That kind of team work was bloody great to watch today , we don't dive in all the time , we mix up pressing and sheparding and you just know we are about to nick the ball or force a mistake and rip through them and score ,,,,

rowett is building a bloody good team 

41 minutes ago, rynny said:

I don't like putting people on ignore. I may disagree with @Ninos on a lot of things but he is still entitled to his opinions. No matter how wrong they are :ph34r:

Whilst I agree the sentiment, there is a difference between an opinion and what Ninos posts.  I make no secret of thinking GR is the wrong man for the job, however am open to be proven wrong, which at the moment he is doing.

Todays match for me was GRs best as a manger at the club, he restricted Villa to creating nothing through his team selection and tactics, whilst we looked threatening throughout his game.  I thought his substitutes were made at the right time and although I was hoping for Winall the introduction of Martin was the right call which was proved by the improvement both on and off the ball once he come on.

The poster you refer to, seems more intent on trying to wind people up than recognising the contribution of a player.  Won’t put him on ignore though, one I wouldn’t have a scooby how to do, and secondly his posts make mine look knowledgeable:-) 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Then why did Johnson play at left midfield today rather than a natural winger in Russell? Rowett didn't play Johnson there just for the fun of it. My assessment may not be as good as I think it is but it is purely my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're right, or maybe I'm right and you're wrong. I'm not the only one who holds this view as many other users (including @LazloW) above hold the same reservations.

Based on Rowetts' post-match interview,  he decided to play Johnson instead of Russell because he anticipated a highly physical game, with no mention of needing to specifically protect Forsyth anymore than any other player. My reading of his selection, could be right, could be wrong but hey, feel free to continue to rubbish one of our players after a good performance.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Pressing masterclass. 

Russell the only poor performance but scored. BJ functional. Everybody else exceptional.

First time I though “how ******* good is he?” about Huddlestone.

About time Keogh stole the ‘bauer’ suffix off of Bucko. Ridiculously good.

Russell poor? I would have to disagree. He should have squared to Martin to make it 3 but did quite well for me. Way ahead of Johnson. 

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Great win ... CM The only blemish ... He was pathetic. One good defensive headed clearance otherwise looked like he just couldn’t be arsed. I think we may have seen his last appearance for us.

What does Rowett see in Martin that we don’t? lol

?  ? 

ctrol.jpg

33 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

His form since returning has been patchy to say the least which doesn't surprise me but to say that today he would have been ripped apart if Johnson hadn't been playing in front of him is totally without any basis.

You say Fozzy isn't as good as people think he is - I've got news for you, your assessment of players isn't as good as you obviously think it is.

Hear hear all fullbacks need help from the player in front of them Does anyone really believe that Baird did not get help from Weimann

11 minutes ago, sage said:

Russell poor? I would have to disagree. He should have squared to Martin to make it 3 but did quite well for me. Way ahead of Johnson. 

Thought Johnson was immense today, most of his good work was off the ball, and probably goes unnoticed when you are comparing him to a player that runs with the ball, also thought Russell did well when coming on.

I've been critical of Rowett, however today he got his tactics spot on, he's won me over.  Solid performance all round, thought Thorne was a class above when he came on, grear performance, great day! 

Ps. Anyone notice the treatment Grelish got? Throughout the game he got clattered of the ball, loved it, brilliant piece of management if those were the orders. 

COYR, roll on the Christmas schedule :thumbsup: 

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Thought Johnson was immense today, most of his good work was off the ball, and probably goes unnoticed when you are comparing him to a player that runs with the ball, also thought Russell did well when coming on.

I am not comparing him to anyone. I know he isn't a winger. He gives the ball away so much and doesn't win enough tackles for a bloke his size.

He wasn't awful, just everyone else was better. 

Archived