Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Based on Rowetts' post-match interview,  he decided to play Johnson instead of Russell because he anticipated a highly physical game, with no mention of needing to specifically protect Forsyth anymore than any other player. My reading of his selection, could be right, could be wrong but hey, feel free to continue to rubbish one of our players after a good performance.

My interpretation of it was that Forsyth needed protection because in certain games, especially against better players he has been very vulnerable and poor defensively. Johnson provided protection to him, allowed Forsyth to get further forward and he did his job because there was only one, maybe two occasions where Snodgrass skinned him. Johnson deserves a lot of credit today by helping him. There really isn't a lot between Forsyth and Olsson like some like to believe. Wouldn't be surprised if Olsson is back in the team against Millwall.

19 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I've been critical of Rowett, however today he got his tactics spot on, he's won me over.  Solid performance all round, thought Thorne was a class above when he came on, grear performance, great day! 

Ps. Anyone notice the treatment Grelish got? Throughout the game he got clattered of the ball, loved it, brilliant piece of management if those were the orders. 

COYR, roll on the Christmas schedule :thumbsup: 

Not a fan of his on-field and off-field but when he puts his mind to it he can be some player.  He was far and away Villas best player

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I am not comparing him to anyone. I know he isn't a winger. He gives the ball away so much and doesn't win enough tackles for a bloke his size.

He wasn't awful, just everyone else was better. 

I had to check just to make sure I was watching the same game....6 tackles won, more than anyone else on the pitch, 8 headers won once again, more than anyone else, maybe everyone else wasn’t better in fact I go as far as saying that no one else was better in them areas. 

His passing wasn’t great I’ll give you that, maybe that’s what you were actually basing your view on?

39 minutes ago, sage said:

Best home performance of the season.

I must admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw the team selection. Johnson and Nugent and instead of Russell and Martin concerned me. However, although Johnson was our poorest player and Nugent missed 3 first half chances, Rowett got it spot on. Johnson's strength and 65 minutes of perpetual motion from Nugent helped set up the win. Another poster commented that Nugent needlessly ran himself into the ground. It was the constant harrying that made Villa keep making mistakes.

I thought Keogh and Huddlestone were neck and neck for MOTM until Keogh's run and pass for the second goal. The rest of the defence and Ledley weren't far behind.

7 points, or more, from the next 3 games and I will start to believe.  

Agree with most of this except I felt Huddlestone had a 15/20 minute dip in the second half before getting his act together towards the end. He is a beautiful player of the ball when caressing it to other players. The difference between the teams was we always looked a threat going forward whereas I never ever expected them to score. The only Villa chance of the entire match, it was funny how the ground collectively held its breath before Keogh kept it out and back into Carson's welcoming arms.

Good to see Ledley go about his work and understand the job he does to make the team tick. Fozzy excellent. Only criticism today was that all three subs were 10 minutes too late. It was a brilliant cameo from Thorne and once Rowett finally brought him on it was clear we were going to see things out. Loved that amazing passage of one-twos he was at the heart of. He looked the best player on the pitch and I hope he has a couple of starts in this busy period.

Assists don't always mean very much, but a special mention regarding both of today's, which were two magnificent pieces of play. Well done Vydra and Keogh.

South Stand magnificent too.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

My interpretation of it was that Forsyth needed protection because in certain games, especially against better players he has been very vulnerable and poor defensively. Johnson provided protection to him, allowed Forsyth to get further forward and he did his job because there was only one, maybe two occasions where Snodgrass skinned him. Johnson deserves a lot of credit today by helping him. There really isn't a lot between Forsyth and Olsson like some like to believe. Wouldn't be surprised if Olsson is back in the team against Millwall.

So you keep saying

Just got back from a great day. Hock n **** pie at the Silk Mill was excellent before the game and a determined, professional display from the Rams this afternoon. Won't single anyone out - I thought they chased everything and supported each other better than any other game I've seen this season. Two Villa supporters walking back said they thought Rowett out-foxed Bruce with his tactics today. I agree. Well done evrybody!

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I had to check just to make sure I was watching the same game....6 tackles won, more than anyone else on the pitch, 8 headers won once again, more than anyone else, maybe everyone else wasn’t better in fact I go as far as saying that no one else was better in them areas. 

His passing wasn’t great I’ll give you that, maybe that’s what you were actually basing your view on?

I don't recall mentioning headers. If he wasn't good in the air he would be half the player. In relation to tackles from my post you will note I was referring to his general skill set not his performance in this game. If you want to particularly concentrate on this game, his passing and decision making was awful, however he worked tirelessly and almost scored.

He was OK overall. Everyone else was good to excellent.  

2 hours ago, Beagle said:

Steve Bruce reckons in his press conference there was nothing to choose between the teams and it just the few mistakes they made that separated the teams

Think he was watching a different game or auditioning for the job of positive spin announcer for the England cricket team.

He's speaking out his arse and in Steve Bruce's case that's quite uncanny as his face looks like a bum.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Maybe because I'm correct. Forsyth was ok today, wasn't poor, wasn't great but better than he has been previously. Left back is somewhere we need to strengthen. Ideally I'd play a full fit Lowe over Fozzy and Olsson. 

When we have those 3 on the books then spending on another LB should be well down GRs' priority list in January. Let's not waste more money in the transfer market when it's not necessary - far too much of that in the last few seasons.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't recall mentioning headers. If he wasn't good in the air he would be half the player. In relation to tackles from my post you will note I was referring to his general skill set not his performance in this game. If you want to particularly concentrate on this game, his passing and decision making was awful, however he worked tirelessly and almost scored.

He was OK overall. Everyone else was good to excellent.  

If Martin didn't have footballing intelligence he'd be half the player, see how ridiculous that sounds? Johnson's attributes or lack of shouldn't be held against him. Rowett obviously trusts him as he has been an ever feature this season. If McClaren was here then I'd agree with you as he doesn't suit a possession team but Rowett has a different set up, which Johnson is key too. Think you're being very harsh on Johnson. He was brilliant today and helped Forsyth out a lot defensively, whilst coming inside and flooding the midfield when appropriate.

Archived