Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

Just got back in, and have to say we were very good today, our shape is very good, and our defensive set up is the best it's been for years, Keogh gets a 10 from me, he was first class, and the pass for the 2nd goal was something else, not seen a centre back this good with the ball at his feet since Mark Wright, also thought Davis, Baird, and Johnson were very good as well, In fact everyone put a shift in, and this is something I am seeing more and more under MR Rowett, and his subs worked a treat again, fingers crossed for a very happy ending come May.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rynny said:

Will you just give over. It is beyond pathetic now.

When he actually tries I’ll back him up ... how he gets away with these performances and no one says anything is mind boggling ... it’s now standing in stark contrast to every other player. He needs to stand up and be counted. 

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Played well today, defensively superb..... for saying middle of the Park was flooded, thought we had a lot of space.

Thought Johnson went under the radar a bit today, thought the way he pressed and harried, and in particular protected Forsyth was brilliant. Did the simple things.

This team is building up brilliantly..... thought Villa were pretty but with no cutting edge. Have to say Grealish is a player..... he’ll be gone by end of season.

Rowett so smart with his subs..... consistently impacting the game and taken sting out of a game and introducing more problems for opposition to consider.

Great stuff..... roll on the lions

Dead right Bob. The thing I am enjoying is that there is clearly a real team spirit. No bad body language, everyone up for it and it's catching in the crowd. When they pushed us early in the second half there was no moaning from the stands. Agree with you about Grealish .. Dangerous little effer with quick feet, but faster of thought than his team mates. 

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

They're in trouble if those are his genuine thoughts. I always worry when managers don't seem to address, or at least see, flaws in their side's game.

In all fairness to Bruce, I think Villa could play like that all season and would win most of the games. Just not when they play against Derby 

Great atmosphere today and I loved the way we started - quick in the tackle and really pressing Villa into mistakes. 

I thought Curtis Davies was outstanding today with Keogh and Baird not far behind.

And as someone who has criticised Forsyth I thought he looked back to his best.

Huddlestone made some great passes and his defensive duties go unnoticed.

Fab day all round.

43 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

If that's our competition I'm quietly confident, don't think they really troubled us . We're looking solid at the back and we're putting chances away.

cant see us not being top 6 this year

feeling beautiful!

Glad to here Derby helped with the hangover LOL. Could be even top 2 come May.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Dead right Bob. The thing I am enjoying is that there is clearly a real team spirit. No bad body language, everyone up for it and it's catching in the crowd. When they pushed us early in the second half there was no moaning from the stands. Agree with you about Grealish .. Dangerous little effer with quick feet, but faster of thought than his team mates. 

Agreed, think there’s a buzz back in the club, and the poison has started to fester away...... the antidote, winning football games, and maybe just maybe..... a touch of stability. 

43 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Nice little comment I've just overheard in the pub.

"If I'm honest I used to think Keogh was an absolute (c u next Tuesday) and I'd have ******* him off for nothing. He's been quality and I'm glad I was wrong."

Hopefully a lot of the Blame Keogh Brigade also feel that way.

There is no doubt that Keogh has made big improvements to his game. Outstanding today, as was Davies.

11 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Just got back in, and have to say we were very good today, our shape is very good, and our defensive set up is the best it's been for years, Keogh gets a 10 from me, he was first class, and the pass for the 2nd goal was something else, not seen a centre back this good with the ball at his feet since Mark Wright, also thought Davis, Baird, and Johnson were very good as well, In fact everyone put a shift in, and this is something I am seeing more and more under MR Rowett, and his subs worked a treat again, fingers crossed for a very happy ending come May.

I think you're forgetting igor.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

I’m not upset I’m delighted 

That move btw was all Thorne ... he was integral to each pass ... total composure ... as to martin, he again surrendered critical balls and then just couldn’t be bothered to hustle in for tackles that were a few feet away. Wasn’t that impressed with Nuge tbf - he looked tired from the start - a step off the pace. I was happy that Martin came on but his lacksadasical showing stood out from the other 9 who worked their socks off. What does GR see in martin that we don’t ?  ?  

Ask CM yourself. Did you try today Chris or couldn’t you be arsed? If he’s honest he’d tell ya. It was poor, even for him. He must have packed his suitcases already.

I call it as I see it. He don’t get a free pass sorry 

You’re dead weird 

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

When he actually tries I’ll back him up ... how he gets away with these performances and no one says anything is mind boggling ... it’s now standing in stark contrast to every other player. He needs to stand up and be counted. 

He did try. Typified by the great tackle he did down our right. He had some nice touches with Thorne, he had some poor ones. He annoyed me when battling with Jednik and spent too long looking at him and not the ball and he ended up on his arse. He made a couple of runs where the person passing to him misplaced the pass. The one where he spun Chester was a great run but Johnson played it to where he was standing. He isn't going to be sprinting around here, there and everywhere. He just isn't. The fact that you have said the keep ball was all down to Thorne just shows how you aren't willing to acknowledge his involvement.

Just now, rynny said:

He did try. Typified by the great tackle he did down our right. He had some nice touches with Thorne, he had some poor ones. He annoyed me when battling with Jednik and spent too long looking at him and not the ball and he ended up on his arse. He made a couple of runs where the person passing to him misplaced the pass. The one where he spun Chester was a great run but Johnson played it to where he was standing. He isn't going to be sprinting around here, there and everywhere. He just isn't. The fact that you have said the keep ball was all down to Thorne just shows how you aren't willing to acknowledge his involvement.

Just put him on ignore. Trust me. Its liberating.

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Agreed, think there’s a buzz back in the club, and the poison has started to fester away...... the antidote, winning football games, and maybe just maybe..... a touch of stability. 

Was a great atmosphere today, fans even singing after the game in the concourse and the streets. I still think the atmosphere is best with 25/6 thousand home fans like today. Rather than the full houses of a couple of years back. Lose the glory hunters and the true fans enjoy themselves more

15 minutes ago, Doodle said:

In all fairness to Bruce, I think Villa could play like that all season and would win most of the games. Just not when they play against Derby 

Remember they were without Davis Lansbury Kodja Terry I think they will be up there come May But you can only beat what's in front of you and we played well 

Definitely the most enjoyable game of the season so far. Very interesting that in our current three game winning run, 5 of the 6 goals were scored by Russell, Lawrence and Weimann. A few weeks ago all of them were being criticised for a lack of end product. 

Defensively we are as strong as at any time for many a year, but all of a sudden it also looks like we are full of players who can score. Exciting times.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

As much as I appreciate being subjected to people self-tooting, I don't think you hit the mark at all RE Forsyth. He did fine on lots of occasions where he wasn't protected.

Well done on predicting Johnson was going to play though - none of us saw that coming! Must be what, a decade since we saw him in a Derby shirt.

Quite right about Forsyth - his best game since coming back from his injury.

Archived