Derby County F.C. v Aston Villa F.C. match day thread.

Boycie

4 hours ago, sage said:

Compare and define the words 'doesn't' and 'didn't'.

Also you brought up headers not me. 

Others were better because they played better. I would be interested in which starters played worse than Johnson.

When every starting player had a strong game its a bit daft to ask that question. Also factor in he’s been out for a bit. He certainly helped Fozzy out that’s for sure - his toughness being the stated reason Rowett player him over JR. You’re beating a dead horse because regardless of what any of us think Rowett adores him.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could I suggest to those saying Martin had ‘a shocker’ that they replay two sections of the game. One where Martin brings down a high ball, turns his man on the edge of the box and plays a ball with the outside of his boot to Johnny. Russell. Russell then takes a shot from an acute angle into the keeper’s legs with both Martin and Johnson inside him with tap-ins begging.

The second, when we are under pressure in the final minutes involves Martin, Thorne and Huddlestone keeping the ball with one-touch football whilst being pressed by six Villa players.

Or maybe your head was in a pie at the time?

Martin has the touch and brain of a footballer. Nugent has a cheeky smile and runs around a lot. 

I thought everybody played well and if we were to critical of anyone well nugent should have won the game within 15 mins as he should have had 2 or 3 goals 

I did think that I saw everyone of them playing at their strengths rather than their weaknesses which was nice. EG Johnson looking a threat at set pieces and not trying to control the ball in midfield and the likes of Russell scoring again and becoming our equal highest scoring midfielder 

and let’s be real what a fantastic selection of substitutes we have with all of Martin Russell and Thorne sealing the game and the win

9 hours ago, sage said:

Compare and define the words 'doesn't' and 'didn't'.

Also you brought up headers not me. 

Others were better because they played better. I would be interested in which starters played worse than Johnson.

Sounds like you don’t like him generally and not just based upon yesterdays performance.  I thought they all played well, and BJ was pivotal to the win as our tactics were to disrupt their play and restrict the wingers getting to the byline to get their crosses in. 

As i said, some people only focus on what a player does with the ball, however if you looked at ball retention only we would have a team full of Huddlestones.  GR found and implemented the perfect balance yesterday. 

8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Why not focus on the fact the team today probably worked the best as a complete unit for the last 12/18 months, being fairly comfortable against a top 6 side..... that has a dearth of talent in their ranks..... 

Can’t pick a “worse” player today or compare ehi was “worse”, maybe focus on the fact that the whole team was made up of a sum of parts who contributed pretty well together to achieve a fantastic result. 

I did in my OP. I responded to someone saying Johnson was excellent. As usual on here it all spiralled out of control from there.

Sorry if it's been mentioned but the atmosphere was terrific yesterday . Obviously Villas support added immensely to this. The whole crowd was singing yesterday too (not sure on the west stand) ((Sorry if you were)). I for one enjoyed the whole day yesterday , the game , the atmosphere, the performance, the win and my pint in Frankie and Bennys before hand :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Sounds like you don’t like him generally and not just based upon yesterdays performance.  I thought they all played well, and BJ was pivotal to the win as our tactics were to disrupt their play and restrict the wingers getting to the byline to get their crosses in. 

As i said, some people only focus on what a player does with the ball, however if you looked at ball retention only we would have a team full of Huddlestones.  GR found and implemented the perfect balance yesterday. 

"Don't like him

By this do you mean there are deficiencies in his game that diminish his week in week out performances yes. Hence the term 'doesn't'.

Overall the sum of his parts means I would only start him in certain games and mainly have him on the bench to protect a lead.

Yesterday he did slightly  better than average for him. He did ok. Other players were better than ok. 

Don't really want to explain a basic concept again. I'm out. 

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but the atmosphere was terrific yesterday . Obviously Villas support added immensely to this. The whole crowd was singing yesterday too (not sure on the west stand) ((Sorry if you were)). I for one enjoyed the whole day yesterday , the game , the atmosphere, the performance, the win and my pint in Frankie and Bennys before hand :ph34r:

I enjoyed the fact that we had a riposte for every song they had. Particularly enjoyed them replying to 'you live in the past' with a song about winning a cup 37 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I enjoyed the fact that we had a riposte for every song they had. Particularly enjoyed them replying to 'you live in the past' with a song about winning a cup 37 years ago. 

Demonstrated what a delusional set of fans they have with the 'you've only come to see the villa' chant. Load of muppets.

Not much to add to what a lot of you have said. It was a very professional, organised performance. 

I’ve struggled sometimes with a lack of cohesion in our attacking play in comparison to the heady days of the Mcclaren reign. But yesterday (even though it wasn’t as balls to the wind as back then) we played some nice stuff without ever losing out shape.

Never been a fan of Keogh or Huddleston, but yesterday they had everything.

My overall thought from the game was that if Villa are in the top 6 and they’re that bad, this bodes well for our season.

Think back to the Brighton and boro games over the last 3-4 seasons and how much better they were. If Villa are a top 5 club then we have nothing to fear and could very well aim for 2nd.

I feel one of the differences today was that there was a little less expectation from the crowd. There was an acceptance that we would have far less of the ball than them. It seemed to fuel a better understanding of how we defend as a team. Around me there were many smatterings of applause when we forced them back from the wings and back towards their own goal. 

With 10 minutes to go, there was a feeling of “this is the test”. The crowd got behind the team from a defensive angle just as if they were pushing for a goal in other games which was great to hear. 

Thorne coming on added that little bit of composure to manage the game. That passage of one touch passing on the touch line really got the crowd going and believing. My favourite part of the game!

A very professional performance against a decent side who lacked a cutting edge. 

A few random thoughts in no particular order .

Really enjoyed that not always been the case at home this year.

Baird for me was outstanding even help Fozzie out and still got back to his position .

I never think we're going to concede late in the  game  anymore

I work in the West Midlands so roll on Monday morning .

Woke up with a stupid grin on my face .

I genuinely think we are in with a shout.

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Why is that rubbish? He's got ripped to shreds by far worse teams. Fozzy isn't as good as people think he is and Olsson isn't as bad as people think he is. In fact it's fairly close between the two. Rowett obviously thought the same otherwise Johnson wouldn't have played there(who was brilliant)

You know later on in the game Russell and Johnson switched sides? Thought not

1 hour ago, sage said:

Hang on.

i'm still buzzing from 2 titles in 4 years,  42 years ago.

Archived