Derby County v Burton Albion match thread

Boycie

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Boring has been used tonight a few times.

The only reason I react is because I have a couple who spend the whole time,every game talking about how constantly BORING it is!?

why do they go? Why do they have season tickets?

The only reason I don't ask them is my lad   Asked not to cause trouble, which is understandable as it's meant to be enjoyable for him.

3 pts ???????

You're not referring to two old farts in the west stand? They sound like the guys i used to sit in front of 10 years ago.

To be honest I don't think they will still be supporting the Rams. Not in this life anyway.

41 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Boring has been used tonight a few times.

The only reason I react is because I have a couple who spend the whole time,every game talking about how constantly BORING it is!?

why do they go? Why do they have season tickets?

The only reason I don't ask them is my lad   Asked not to cause trouble, which is understandable as it's meant to be enjoyable for him.

3 pts ???????

I to hear this game in and game out , in the east stand, if it's that bad then please stay away, anyway not a great game but 3 points and we move on, well done to Gary for getting Russell out there, and let me tell you all 1979 to 1983 it really was poor times to watch Derby, but I did not shout out every 5 mins it's boring and get the ball forward, I was there to watch the game and support my team, and that's what I still do now. Once a Ram always a Ram.

Well that was hardly a classic, but it’s hard for it to be when a team rocks up as plays as defensive as burton did! 

Id wholeheartedly disagree with those criticising Lawrence, thought he vydra and weimann linked up pretty well with Martin WHEN we played it on the deck. Thought we wasted a lot of opportunities to attack by just launching it forward, particularly from the back (Davies especially). When we got the ball on the deck they looked far more scared, it was only really a couple of class blocks that stopped vydra getting clean and scoring earlier on.

Think we’ve certainly now found our best front three in behind the striker (tho Russell took and in fact creates his goal well), the only debate really is the striker- Martin was pretty decent, but Nugent has been as well. All of these play better with the ball on the deck tho so we need to stop playing so many lofted balls (yes including you ledley!) and get some more drilled balls along the ground as we’ve got some brilliantly skilful players. Thought Olsson was much better on the ball than Forsyth which helped as well (80% success rate to Forsyth’s 60).

Carson 6- one good save, but distribution poor at times again

Baird 7- dependable on the ball and solid as per

Keogh 6- Had little to do, thankfully no Hollywood passes

Davies 6- Some good tackling, woeful passing tho

Olsson 7- More controlled on the ball than fozzy, needs to be more effective on the overlap tho

Thorne 8- Nothing spectacular but did everything he needed to do well

Ledley 7- Decent, few too many long balls, not sure he was really needed today

Weimann 7- Great in general play, but for some reason just can’t finish

Vydra 7- Surprised he went off so early, most of our good play came through him running at their defence, showed some great bits of skill

Lawrence 7- Some decent bits of play

Martin 7- Some great flicks, but also some very poor passes

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well that was hardly a classic, but it’s hard for it to be when a team rocks up as plays as defensive as burton did! 

Id wholeheartedly disagree with those criticising Lawrence, thought he vydra and weimann linked up pretty well with Martin WHEN we played it on the deck. Thought we wasted a lot of opportunities to attack by just launching it forward, particularly from the back (Davies especially). When we got the ball on the deck they looked far more scared, it was only really a couple of class blocks that stopped vydra getting clean and scoring earlier on.

Think we’ve certainly now found our best front three in behind the striker (tho Russell took and in fact creates his goal well), the only debate really is the striker- Martin was pretty decent, but Nugent has been as well. All of these play better with the ball on the deck tho so we need to stop playing so many lofted balls (yes including you ledley!) and get some more drilled balls along the ground as we’ve got some brilliantly skilful players. Thought Olsson was much better on the ball than Forsyth which helped as well (80% success rate to Forsyth’s 60).

Carson 6- one good save, but distribution poor at times again

Baird 7- dependable on the ball and solid as per

Keogh 6- Had little to do, thankfully no Hollywood passes

Davies 6- Some good tackling, woeful passing tho

Olsson 7- More controlled on the ball than fozzy, needs to be more effective on the overlap tho

Thorne 8- Nothing spectacular but did everything he needed to do well

Ledley 7- Decent, few too many long balls, not sure he was really needed today

Weimann 7- Great in general play, but for some reason just can’t finish

Vydra 7- Surprised he went off so early, most of our good play came through him running at their defence, showed some great bits of skill

Lawrence 7- Some decent bits of play

Martin 7- Some great flicks, but also some very poor passes

Durrrr! You say Thorne did nothing spectacular but give him 8 yet give a 6 to Keogh who did everything he needed to do. 

36 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

I to hear this game in and game out , in the east stand, if it's that bad then please stay away, anyway not a great game but 3 points and we move on, well done to Gary for getting Russell out there, and let me tell you all 1979 to 1983 it really was poor times to watch Derby, but I did not shout out every 5 mins it's boring and get the ball forward, I was there to watch the game and support my team, and that's what I still do now. Once a Ram always a Ram.

I get what you're saying and this isn't exactly directed at you but my theory is that maybe folk did shout out about performances between 79 and 83 but in the pre internet days, you only heard them at work or the pub. The fact that crowds went from 35/40k to 10k in this time probably indicates that folk spoke with the power of their feet. And remember this was also the days before live / extensive media coverage, so it was a big sacrifice not going to games unless you could manage with just RD and a green un.

Don't get me wrong, those days were of their times and maybe a more widespread and general apathy / fear / boredom of attending games.

But fair play to you for going week in, week out back then. I only started in 83 so knew no different from Lincoln, Grimsby and Walsall away.

We all value and enjoy the outcome of 3 points but if anyone doesn't enjoy the actual 90 min process of gaining said points then that's their perogative. As much as those who enjoy the performance and apparently don't care about the result. As much as those who will put up with an absolute borefest so long as 3 points is the end product.

i can't comment too much on today as my Rams tv was up the swanny again ;-)

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

You sure like to make things up. Martin shot and it was saved ... the ball went to their defender who shockingly tapped it straight to Russell. 

Lol....off Martin's shot.

I take you are still a bit upset about Martin starting...

By all accounts and the highlights I have seen now,he had a good game...not a surprise to many tho.

Don't forget,it's a squad game....good to see Nugent winnall Martin and vydra all taking part in the matches that suit their skills.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Is it a crime to call it boring ? It is BORING but I'll still go and will always go. It's been boring before and I'm sure it'll be boring in the future at some point. Currently it's boring, Rowetts football is boring but we won so happy days ????????????????

Can't remember anyone saying it was a crime, but when you have  people commenting for 90 mins in how boring and ***** the game is it grinds you down and I feel for my 12 yr old boy listening to this. It makes me want to move seats but wouldn't it be simpler for all the boo boys and people that'l think it's boring to just stay home and watch strictly??

It isn't boring, but there is a lack of quality in our approach play.

we are very one dimensional.

chris martin however looks to be maturing. 

There is  a lot of quality in his link up and lay offs.

He is less effective when he drops deeper imo.

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Always been the case...

Great to see his play tho,linking up and intelligent balls to others plus a few great shots too today...loved it.

Hopefully GR has recognised it.....I think he has seen a different side to how derby can play from his comments in his interview.

3 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Can't remember anyone saying it was a crime, but when you have  people commenting for 90 mins in how boring and ***** the game is it grinds you down and I feel for my 12 yr old boy listening to this. It makes me want to move seats but wouldn't it be simpler for all the boo boys and people that'l think it's boring to just stay home and watch strictly??

That's not normally on till 7pm so they can still watch the footy! 

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Interesting comment about our approach play as I thought it was quite good yesterday. It was decision making in that final third that was a bit dodgy, with both Vydra and Lawrence being guilty of that in the first half.

I thought our approach play against Burton was the best we've done at home this season. I'm not sure though how much of that was down to having Thorne in for Huddlestone and how much was Martin for Nugent. Probably a combination of both. 

We were only denied really by some top class blocks of the ball when we would've been in and poor finishing. 

Thought Lawrence played well enough. He looked so much better when running at them. Even though he scored I don't think Russell has earned a start against Barnsley.

For all the grief some people are giving Burton they could've snatched a point with better finishing. They probably would've won if Weimann hadn't headed the ball off the line. Personally I thought they were far more adventureress than some other teams we've faced at Pride Park this season.

6 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Always been the case...

Great to see his play tho,linking up and intelligent balls to others plus a few great shots too today...loved it.

Hopefully GR has recognised it.....I think he has seen a different side to how derby can play from his comments in his interview.

I thought it was our best performance for quite some time. I watched us control the ball. Thorne was a midfield maestro all game, a veritable matador. Chris Martin's dinks, flicks, reverse passes and all round play added a new dimension; if only Vydra could have got closer. If I'm honest I'm not an admirer of Weimann but he is pretty much at his zenith speed wise...if only he had an end product. Lawrence though needs to be dropped...really needs to work on his decision-making, although his play early in the game and links with Martin had promise. And it's no coincidence that Russell - trickier than a box of frogs yesterday - looked better with Martin on the pitch. And scored. Russell is 15% more a player when CM's about. 

We looked a lot more like Derby County yesterday. I'm far more confident of us top 6-ing if we play that side from the start more often. 

Please GR. 

Only just watched the highlights back. Should have had a definate penalty in my opinion, you cant have your arms out like that and block a shot surely without it being a penalty.

Archived