Derby County v Burton Albion match thread

Boycie

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Haha I don't know where these leagues are to check but if i have a single point then i don't know where it could've come from. Good job i'm not a betting man.

Blimey,  you really dont,  do you? 

Well that was hard work. We need to be more proactive against crud like burton. Rip em a new one from kick off. Don’t play 2 DM’s. just hope they get relegated, league 2 team, punching above their weight with a non league manager. 

27 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why o why do we have 2 holding minds on the pitch against Burton at home. After 70 mins we really needed to gamble and boring subs  just didn't do it for me.

very strange!

The problem is that only midfielders we have are holding midfielders and Johnson. Playing Johnson ahead of one of them is a poor idea in this kinda game because of how poor he is in possession, and putting another attacker will put too much pressure on the other midfielder to instigate attacks and keep the ball moving. 

We are crying out for a more attacking midfielder who can pick the ball up and drive at the opposition.

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Totally agree

6 defensive players when we know Burton will offer naff all is so negative.

Ipswich and Burton games were crying out for a more attacking line up.

in the absence of hughes and bryson, russell was the only option who could run at them rather than behind them, and eventually it paid a dividend.

gary - you are so negative.

I thought weimann deserved it.

george was ok but nowhere near his best.

martin improved us.

we were even better when lawrence went off.

Agree I thought Weimann deserved it he saved us with his goal line clearance GT did well but it well but it will take time 

My own opinion?

We deserved a point. We battled brilliantly and attacked when we could. Of course we set up defensively. You lot will roll better teams than us over at home this season.

we're a Matty palmer mistake away from s much needed point.

from where I was sitting I was pleasantly surprised the ref didn't give the penalty. It would have been harsh as it was booted at him and he was turning away but they would usually get given.

brilliant atmosphere pre kick off then it went a bit flat.

we're a striker away from staying up and you're a very solid bet for the play offs.

good luck for the rest of the season of course.

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

A win is a win. I am grateful for the 3 points. As I am from Burton I feel sorry for them and I hope they stay up. It isn't so long ago that my geography teacher was their club secretary, my PE teacher was their centre half and Warnock was cutting his managerial teeth there.

You must be 52. 

It was, as has been said already a frustrating win, as they didn't park the proverbial bus, they couldn't, they need 3 points so first half was quite open and we should have been ahead at half time.

Thought Martin had good first half, his hold up play and topped off by starting off with the ball on the line, following the move for a great shot tipped over the bar.

laurence poor overall apart from a great ball through to Vydra who for some reason seem to shy away and leave it for CM??. In Vydras current form that was surprising.

Weimann MOTM. Not sure about that. Ok he headed the ball off the line but he was stood there to do just that! He had 2 clear good shooting chances tonight one could of been a pass back and the one late on ..dear oh dear. He is quick but wasn't he brought in as a CF?

anyways 3 pts and the Gumps lose, we're still in with a shout.

Keogh never put a foot  wrong (as usual)

5 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

My own opinion?

We deserved a point. We battled brilliantly and attacked when we could. Of course we set up defensively. You lot will roll better teams than us over at home this season.

we're a Matty palmer mistake away from s much needed point.

from where I was sitting I was pleasantly surprised the ref didn't give the penalty. It would have been harsh as it was booted at him and he was turning away but they would usually get given.

brilliant atmosphere pre kick off then it went a bit flat.

we're a striker away from staying up and you're a very solid bet for the play offs.

good luck for the rest of the season of course.

Good luck to you and Burton Ronnie.

Know you probably won’t agree but from where I was sitting Nigel parked a bus in a 5-4-1 with wing backs that barely went forward. The lack of a clinical strike force due to costs unfortunately will hamper you most of the season, unless Nige finds a gem on a loan at Christmas; you don’t look like scoring many and I think this year it will hurt you.

Burton played a high line that was crying out for speedy front men to make well timed runs behind for diagonal passes from our defence, but we seldom see that.  

Expect there will be many more teams set up like the Brewers, so not having a go, we just need to deal with it better. For my mind Derby deserved the win, as although facing (admirable/stubborn - take your pick) resistance, we kept trying to find a way to score and eventually did.

A win's a win's a win.

Massive positive from today was that Rowett acknowledged the other sides plan and set us up to attack. We created chances for 90 minutes instead of pissing around for 45 mins with the Nuge/Vydra ball in behind plan that doesn't work if the other team are putting 10 men behind the ball.

I think Rowett's realised that teams often are t going to come to PP to play football and win. Need a different approach for games like this. We're blessed with some talent that others in this league would kill for, these are the games to use it.

I think Martin and Vydra looked promising. They were the right choice today because there's not a chance that Burton we're going to give us any space in behind to play in. 

I think Martin fluctuated between looking like the classiest, smartest player on the pitch and looking like a useless lump. Needs game time, particularly with Vydra. They weren't quite on the same wavelength and Vyd's struggled having the ball played to his feet so often. If we're going to use him with Martin he needs to understand the positions he has to take up to play quick passing football. I don't think Russell's more talented than Vydra for a minute but I think Rowett was right taking him off for Russell. Martin and Russell play well together and have an understanding. Paid off with the goal.

From today's showing, Vydra and Martin will look better against a back four instead of a back five.

Thorne slipped into the line-up well, which is a massive compliment considering the last game he started was in the 15/16 season. Lots to come from him.

Weimann is playing with the most confidence he's had since he joined Derby. He's really grabbed his chance and has just been fantastic. He's a hard world we, contributes defensively, has been tricky on the ball, opened up space for others, made intelligent runs, put in good crosses...if only he could ******* shoot. I was saying we should sell him a few weeks ago, now he's the first choice winger. 

Defence was solid as usual, midfield was slow but reliable. Only issue today was Lawrence. Think he needs a bit of time out of the side, there's just something off about him right now. Might be pressure, fatigue or something else. I'd start Russell and Weimann next game, both were very good today.

And FWIW I'd switch back to Nuge and Vydra against Barnsley.

Archived