Derby County v Burton Albion match thread

Boycie

1 hour ago, Mistaram said:

Another poor game from Lawrence not sure he deserves to start Please keep him of corners and free kicks don't like calling him out but he's not really doing it at the moment 

Thomas and Lawrence are different class ... and it’s the former who’s in the upper class ... 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of you need too look at the highlights to see Lawrence was involved in most of the good things we did.....his running with the ball created them and he put in two great balls.One nearly caused a og and the other was a gimme if any striker had taken the time to attack the six yard box.

28 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

My own opinion?

We deserved a point. We battled brilliantly and attacked when we could. Of course we set up defensively. You lot will roll better teams than us over at home this season.

we're a Matty palmer mistake away from s much needed point.

from where I was sitting I was pleasantly surprised the ref didn't give the penalty. It would have been harsh as it was booted at him and he was turning away but they would usually get given.

brilliant atmosphere pre kick off then it went a bit flat.

we're a striker away from staying up and you're a very solid bet for the play offs.

good luck for the rest of the season of course.

Yeah I agree, you came to play football and so many teams further up the league don't. 

30 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Only heard the last fifteen minutes or so because of work but great to hear Russell score off Martin's deflection and pleased that everyone was pretty happy with thorne,I was hoping he would have a good one.

Was always going to be a cagey one so good to walk away with the points.

You sure like to make things up. Martin shot and it was saved ... the ball went to their defender who shockingly tapped it straight to Russell. 

Am I the only one who didn't think Thorne played particularly at his best today but was still better than most if not all players on the pitch if that makes sense?

My ratings:

Carson-7- Had nothing really to do

Baird-7- Solid yet again. I would have started Wisdom in case Baird was tired but he proved me wrong.

Keogh-8- Solid yet again by our captain, leader and legend

Davies-7- Didn't do anything wrong defensively but his passing was off today which is why I gave him a lower mark

Olsson-6- Solid and did his job defensively but offensively he was a bit off strangely as usually it's him defensively that makes us question him.

Thorne-8- My motm today. He makes everything look so easy but he also made a couple of key defensive clearances.

Ledley-8- Another solid performance by Ledley. I'm so grateful that we have signed him permanently.

Lawrence-6- I'm one of his biggest fans but I thought he was poor and wasteful today but he was threatening and took people on which is what we need against defensive opposition.

Vydra-6- He struggled to get into the game today. I can now see why Rowett hasn't tried the Martin-Vydra partnership before because they both rely on players stretching the game.

Weimann-7- Was energetic as usual. I wouldn't agree that he was motm though. He wasted a few chances which he should have scored which is why I didn't rate him higher

Martin-7- Whilst the Vydra-Martin partnership itself didn't really work today, I thought individually Martin was decent and did some good one-twos as usual.

Subs:

Russell-7/8- Was very lively when he came on and scored the winner. Should have scored again before the final whistle.

Johnson-6- He made several poor passes when he came on but at least he tried to up the tempo and play forward passes.

Winnall-7- I'd hate to play against him if I was a centre back as he never stops running and always puts pressure on defenders.

4 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Lot of you need too look at the highlights to see Lawrence was involved in most of the good things we did.....his running with the ball created them and he put in two great balls.One nearly caused a og and the other was a gimme if any striker had taken the time to attack the six yard box.

All True but his final decision and his shooting is staggeringly bad - explaining why he’s not premier league quality. At least that’s why peeps are frustrated 

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You sure like to make things up. Martin shot and it was saved ... the ball went to their defender who shockingly tapped it straight to Russell. 

How is that making anything up?

There was nice play from Russell and Martin, the former's shot was saved, deflected out, then Russell scored from that deflection.

It's almost like you've been peddling a weird agenda for 24 months and would rather see Martin fail than Derby succeed?

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

How is that making anything up?

There was nice play from Russell and Martin, the former's shot was saved, deflected out, then Russell scored from that deflection.

It's almost like you've been peddling a weird agenda for 24 months and would rather see Martin fail than Derby succeed?

I want Derby to succeed. Good players lead us to succeed; strikers who score goals lead us to succeed ... strikers who don’t don’t ... players who work hard help us succeed players who don’t don’t ... he did okay today but okay v Burton isn’t saying much. They are pants. Thorne was very good but the final quality up front wasn’t there ... and it wasn’t there for all to see ... 

Just now, Ninos said:

I want Derby to succeed. Good players lead us to succeed; strikers who score goals lead us to succeed ... strikers who don’t don’t ... players who work hard help us succeed players who don’t don’t ... he did okay today but okay v Burton isn’t saying much. They are pants. Thorne was very good but the final quality up front wasn’t there ... and it wasn’t there for all to see ... 

Martin was at the centre of almost all our best chances today. He also played a massive part in us creating far more chances in the second half on Tuesday night than we ever did in the first half with Nuge and Vydra.

Rowett, someone you've proclaimed is a tactical genius, saw it fit to start Martin today and we got a win at home against a decent away side. He didn't score but we looked like a far more fluid attacking side than we have all season at home. Guess Rowett believes Martin will help us win.

Also, if strikers who score goals are so important to you, Martin should be one of your favourites. He's the only player on our books to score 20 goals in a season more than once.

Archived