Derby County v Burton Albion match thread

Boycie

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I’ve noticed I don’t kind of half jump up if we get a chance anymore either, it’s like I’ve resigned myself to substandard finishing.

I’m only commenting on home games, as we seem to do better away, which raises expectancy why we return to PP. Ipswich being the casing point.

I really didn’t want to go to QPR but made myself and glad I did (after 44mins)

I was looking forward to Ipswich, but wish I’d stopped at home.

But, we’re in the play off position, that’s good isn’t it?

I can’t explain it, but I know I’m not alone in this feeling.

You are not alone I've missed both QPR and Burton and I know a lot of regulars that are doing the same .Things like booking a holiday without consulting the fixtures etc which would never happen previously .

I think age has something to do with it I watched some dross between 1979 and 1983 as some posted previously but I still went [and fell asleep sometimes].I guess you just get more discerning[ apathetic] as you get older .

They do not get your unconditional support which you gave when you were younger ,good job there's a younger generation to give it as they have had my lot. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I thought it was our best performance for quite some time. I watched us control the ball. Thorne was a midfield maestro all game, a veritable matador. Chris Martin's dinks, flicks, reverse passes and all round play added a new dimension; if only Vydra could have got closer. If I'm honest I'm not an admirer of Weimann but he is pretty much at his zenith speed wise...if only he had an end product. Lawrence though needs to be dropped...really needs to work on his decision-making, although his play early in the game and links with Martin had promise. And it's no coincidence that Russell - trickier than a box of frogs yesterday - looked better with Martin on the pitch. And scored. Russell is 15% more a player when CM's about. 

We looked a lot more like Derby County yesterday. I'm far more confident of us top 6-ing if we play that side from the start more often. 

Please GR. 

As much as I like weiman,I'd always favour Russell over him...trickier to deal with and has an end product unlike Andreas....plus as you said,he's pretty lethal with Martin.

23 hours ago, Topram said:

Not trying to point out Russell again but weimann really deserves a good run in the squad would be unfair to take him out and why not give Thomas a chance instead of a guy with 6 months left on his contract 

Think the right time to try Thomas out will be when we have either qualified in the top 6 or 2 and nobody can catch us

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just watching the extended highlights on rams tv.

We play some actual football....Nice to watch as well,passing on the floor,interplay etc

We might be onto something at last.

Much as I think you're right, it'll probably be back to Nugent, Vydra and Hudds next match! 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

You mention the ball boys. There was a situation in the second half when it took ages to get the ball after it went out of play at the North end - no ball boys there yet there were 2 sat together near the half way line. What's that all about?

I noticed that , guy next to me went mad :lol:

3 hours ago, sage said:

Because we are playing unattractive football?

We played a bit more yesterday, but having 2 wingers who never look up whilst on the ball doesn't bode well for flowing football.

Seeing as 3 wingers have been involved in 4 of the last 6 goals Derby have scored suggest they do...... 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We play some actual football....Nice to watch as well,passing on the floor,interplay etc

Watching highlights is great. Sitting through the other 85 mins is the hard bit

So weird when you have missed a home game and had to rely on text commentary ! Especially if you are an opinionated old goat like me.

Anyway .. Looks like we kept the ball pretty well. Had trouble penetrating a stubborn Burton side fighting for their lives. But 3 points, George had a full game and by all accounts played well. Martin and Vydra got to play together so GR has baptised that option. Got to be pretty cheerful. AND .. Surprise surprise we bounced back after a defeat, we have the usual roller coaster championship this year, but seem to have the character to avoid slumps.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yes we did thanks to Thorne and Martin. 

Watched live on rams tv ( how fantastic is that option ,, well done mel) wasn't the greatest ever game but who was expecting it to be? Burton don't have the quality of players that we have and as such have to play to their strengths and do their best to negate ours ,, that's football and there's nothing wrong in that in the same way a clever boxer won't go toe toe with a bigger puncher,,,

thought martin had a good game and confirmed in my mind the opinion that he has a place in our squad ,, the partnership with vydra would need some working on as I felt they kind of overlapped a bit in terms of trying to play in the same space/ role at times ,

thorne looked decent too and I think he could play a bit more advanced in a three when fully fit to change our shape if needed ,

the thing I pick up is that I see a group of players with enough diversity to play in a few shapes and styles and that is looking more of a positive thing under rowett rather than us feeling we have a hotchpot of players bought by different managers who don't fit together 

above most though I kind of think we are getting a team that gets the job done in the main

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

I was bored, but the weird thing is we did have chances, so why was I bored?

Maybe it’s the terrible finishing by Weimann? The final ball? The long pass that gets cut out by a defender?  I don’t know, I shouldn’t be bored really, but I feel I am. Could it just be the time of the year? Short daylight hours?

Maybe all these chances will get converted one game and we’ll give a team a good towelling.  

Ive never had the thought of not bothering to go to a mid week game before because of the weather, ever. I’ve had that thought this season,  maybe I’ve just got old.

Kind of why I enjoyed yesterday - because I deliberately missed the QPR and Ipswich games due to the same reasons you name. A little time away meant I enjoyed it more when I came back.

I actually thought Derby played as well as they could yesterday given they were facing such a negative team with no intention of trying to win the game. Major bonus was Thorne - the big difference he makes is that his first pass is always forward and fairly fast, and that's when he's not up to match speed. 

Don't really agree with the Martin/Vydra thing, Martin didn't do a great deal of note in 90 minutes, a couple of nice flicks but never looked a goalscoring threat, while Vydra tried the odd thing here or there but didn't have too much of an impact. They didn't really show any chemistry. Given that our key tactic was balls behind the back 11, seemed odd that Nugent or Winnall didn't start. 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Don't really agree with the Martin/Vydra thing, Martin didn't do a great deal of note in 90 minutes, a couple of nice flicks but never looked a goalscoring threat...

Didn't the main attempts on target come down to Martin? Yet again who set up chances for him?

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't the main attempts on target come down to Martin? Yet again who set up chances for him?

You missed the bit where they were yelling at each other then?  

Martin has many attempts just like Weimann has many attempts and like Lawrence has too. Unfortunately attempts don’t mean jack squat. You must convert. 

Sounds to me like you just watched the highlights. Watch the whole match and then give us your thoughts. Vulcan was exactly right ... martin missed a few opportunities, misplayed some passes, failed to press and failed to make runs so balls went right by him, but he did do some good link work around the box and fell over for a free kick ... day at the office for Martin. He’s fine if he has space - ie against crappy teams like Burton. Put him against quality opposition and he’s a zero. 

Vydra does not work with Martin because as he said himself he prefers a partner like Nuge that actually moves presses and creates chances - like all three goals that Nuge created for Vydra to score at Boro !

30 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Martin has many attempts just like Weimann has many attempts and like Lawrence has too. Unfortunately attempts don’t mean jack squat. You must convert. 

Sounds to me like you just watched the highlights. Watch the whole match and then give us your thoughts. Vulcan was exactly right ... martin missed a few opportunities, misplayed some passes, failed to press and failed to make runs so balls went right by him, but he did do some good link work around the box and fell over for a free kick ... day at the office for Martin. He’s fine if he has space - ie against crappy teams like Burton. Put him against quality opposition and he’s a zero. 

Vydra does not work with Martin because as he said himself he prefers a partner like Nuge that actually moves presses and creates chances - like all three goals that Nuge created for Vydra to score at Boro !

You need help fella,I'm not sure what kind,but definitely help.....it's a bit weird.

l4pLY0zySvluEvr0c.gif

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

You are a complete fantasist regarding Martin - so much so that you invent things that never happened. What role did Nugent play in Vydra's first goal at Boro? He certainly never touched the ball in the build up, being on the opposite side of the pitch.The third was down to Vydra capitalising on a howler when the keeper was trying to get the ball forward.

3 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

You are a complete fantasist regarding Martin - so much so that you invent things that never happened. What role did Nugent play in Vydra's first goal at Boro? He certainly never touched the ball in the build up, being on the opposite side of the pitch.The third was down to Vydra capitalising on a howler when the keeper was trying to get the ball forward.

Fantasist or just plain boring, maybe he is both.

Archived