Derby County v Burton Albion match thread

Boycie

Here we go again ,,, the polarised views on martin ,, he had a decent game ,did some good stuff in terms of link up play and lay offs ,, we all KNOW he can score goals , did he and vydra look like they fit naturally ? I did nt think so ,, could they fit given game time and coaching ? Pretty sure they could as they are both intelligent players ,

is there enough there to say that starting nugent ahead of martin is madness or visa versa ? Not for me .

would I keep martin at the club in Jan ? Yes I would unless a very good offer came in that allowed us to strengthen in other areas 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, archied said:

Here we go again ,,, the polarised views on martin ,, he had a decent game ,did some good stuff in terms of link up play and lay offs ,, we all KNOW he can score goals , did he and vydra look like they fit naturally ? I did nt think so ,, could they fit given game time and coaching ? Pretty sure they could as they are both intelligent players ,

is there enough there to say that starting nugent ahead of martin is madness or visa versa ? Not for me .

would I keep martin at the club in Jan ? Yes I would unless a very good offer came in that allowed us to strengthen in other areas 

Well I never! Someone who is capable of posting about Chris Martin whilst keeping all his toys in the pram. I commend you, Archie.

I urge everyone to watch the ten minute highlight video on Rams TV:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news?type=video&archive=&category=&display=

I didn't actually realise how good some of our football was on Saturday. That move for the Olsson offside chance was absolutely unreal. @Ninos, just watch the first half of the video and look at the effect Chris Martin had on our attacking fluidity.

24 minutes ago, archied said:

Exactly ! And I agree that a  Martin pairing might just be very interesting. Wouldn't have Vydras killer pace but the skill, nuisance and deft touch they both have could be very troubling for the wrong sort of defenders. 

38 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I actually thought the pairing of the game was Martin and Lawrence...they made several really good link ups and one two's between them..Lawrence seemed to enjoy working with him.

For what it’s worth, I think Martin gives Lawrence naturally more room to work in. Not to make it into Martin vs Nugent/Vydra rubbish but I think he finds himself a little lost in the system with N/V because he’s wanting to cut into area where there is no space.

Saying all this I still think Lawrence was disappointing again on Saturday. Needs to get his tenacity back

You can’t go off highlights ... you’d think those highlights were put together for the Wolves scouting team ... watch the whole game. Martin had an ok game, Lawrence was poor, Weimann was all over the place with zero end product, Vydra was lively but outta luck and clearly missing his regular foil, Nugent. 

Thete should be no boasting about our attack - none of it - because overall it was very poor. Rowett attested to it after.

Where we dominated was in the middle.

6 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I urge everyone to watch the ten minute highlight video on Rams TV:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news?type=video&archive=&category=&display=

I didn't actually realise how good some of our football was on Saturday. That move for the Olsson offside chance was absolutely unreal. @Ninos, just watch the first half of the video and look at the effect Chris Martin had on our attacking fluidity.

Watch the other 80 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

George Thorne made EFLs team of the week.

"Welcome back, George Thorne! The Derby midfielder returned to the starting line-up for the first time since breaking his leg in May 2016, and he delivered a performance like he’d never been away.

An all-action display in the heart of midfield earned him plaudits aplenty, as the Rams edged out rivals Burton Albion courtesy of Johnny Russell’s late strike."

59 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You can’t go off highlights ... you’d think those highlights were put together for the Wolves scouting team ... watch the whole game. Martin had an ok game, Lawrence was poor, Weimann was all over the place with zero end product, Vydra was lively but outta luck and clearly missing his regular foil, Nugent. 

Thete should be no boasting about our attack - none of it - because overall it was very poor. Rowett attested to it after.

Where we dominated was in the middle.

Just a wee fact check. Here’s the snippets from Rowetts interview where he’s talking about our attacking. Obviously it’s not word for word.

“In the first half some of our build up play, some of our interchange was really really good. Just like second half the other night against Ipswich”

“Players are trying to do the right things. But we just lacked that little bit at the end of it. Whether it was that shot, cross or pass they just seemed to cut it out...ironically it was their first mistake...”

Talking about Russell (replaced Vydra) “It was the type of game for him as we needed someone to go past someone to unlock the door”

Thats all he really said. I don’t think he alluded to us being poor, the opposite really. He was complimentary on Burton’s defending rather than our attacking which is fair looking at the game.

“you can’t go off highlights”... “you can’t use video evidence”

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

George Thorne made EFLs team of the week.

Quite right too.  This will also be the same George Thorne who Ramage was having a bit of a pop at after the game.  Honestly thought him and 'Dave' (?) had been watching a different game to me.  Luckily, I didn't hear any of Dawes' views!

I know some don't agree... but some seem to too... but there were one or two (or more) good bits of play on Saturday and I quite enjoyed it.  My theory on the 'boring' thing  is that there is a certain amount of predisposition (possibly subconscious) that that is what its going to be like before we've kicked off (bit like a certain person's opinion of Chris Martin).  I agree that it might be hard to break that point of view if you also take a lot of time to break down stiff resistance, but looking beyond the scoreline and late goal, there really was some good football in there too.  Well, at least I thought so.  I might be wrong of course.  Been known.

I’m damn elated for Thorne !!!!!

He was class in the middle even if it was against Burton. I pray to god that he keeps his place so at least we can enjoy watching three uber entertaining players in him Keogh - the marauder - and vyds the assassin ...

54 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I’m damn elated for Thorne !!!!!

He was class in the middle even if it was against Burton. I pray to god that he keeps his place so at least we can enjoy watching three uber entertaining players in him Keogh - the marauder - and vyds the assassin ...

For the record Ninos gave a “no comment” to the evidence brought forward that he is talking in complete fabrications 

56 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Exhibit A? 

Your fabrication that Rowett had attested to the attacking being poor, when he says nothing that even suggests it.

Also with your refusal to then look at video evidence, which may prove your theory incorrect, does not help your defence at the current moment.

On 12/4/2017 at 14:52, TuffLuff said:

Your fabrication that Rowett had attested to the attacking being poor, when he says nothing that even suggests it.

Also with your refusal to then look at video evidence, which may prove your theory incorrect, does not help your defence at the current moment.

He did more than one interview and he made reference to “that final pass shot cross bit of quality” that was missing ... in the Rams TV one - that’s a reference to what was lacking and it was very frustrating at the time. We ended with how many shots on target ? And how many were good ones? 

I cant believe I’m answering you because you’re just disagreeing for the sake of it , but there you go ... happy ?

the highlights posted made us look like man city but we weren’t on the day ... 

and my point about us commanding the centre was validated afterwards by GT picking up the FL team of the week award.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

He did more than one interview and he made reference to “that final pass shot cross bit of quality” that was missing ... in the Rams TV one - that’s a reference to what was lacking and it was very frustrating at the time. We ended with how many shots on target ? And how many were good ones? 

I cant believe I’m answering you because you’re just disagreeing for the sake of it , but there you go ... happy ?

the highlights posted made us look like man city but we weren’t on the day ... 

and my point about us commanding the centre was validated afterwards by GT picking up the FL team of the week award.

Let’s finish the first part of your quote though. It’s in the first 10 seconds of the RamsTV interview

“In the first half there were some really, really good attacking movement and some really good play. As we said at half time it was just cross, shot, that bit of quality”

That’s not attesting to us being poor in attack, more that we lacked composure in crucial moments. We didn’t have many great chances but that was because, as Rowett said, we were trying to walk it in sometimes rather than trying to get a shot off. He attested that to how Burton defended, not that we were poor.

Im not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, I’m completely happy if you have a differing opinion. My problem is that when you start fabricating points to prove an agenda, then you deserve calling out on it. Although it’s funny seeing a wind up merchant getting a little, wound up.

The highlights of Derby County vs Burton Albion look to me like the highlights of Derby County vs Burton Albion. I’m not sure how they can make a team look better because it’s the best of what they did on a football pitch?

I didn’t say anything about George Thorne or the midfield 

Archived