Will Hughes Watch

Day

1 hour ago, Watford Fan said:

Hi.....I'm a Watford supporter, but just wanted to give you guys an update on Will Hughes.

He made his debut against Bristol City in the league cup, but looked really lightweight. That surprised me as it was against a level of team he was used to playing against. 

Since then he just disappeared and has not been seen again until a brief substitute appearance against Stoke a couple of weeks ago. Following that he made his full debut at Everton, then played last night against West Ham.

In those last two games he has transformed. He ran the match at Everton and was MotM against West Ham. Scored a good goal and an assist. He was everywhere on the pitch. 

You can trust him with the ball in tight spaces, which is vital in the Prem. He's intelligent and moves the ball quickly.

After an initial bad start, he was taken away from the first team, and the coaches have worked very hard with him. Silva has worked wonders and he's come back like a new player. 

Watford's midfield is probably our strongest area. Cleverley, Chalobah, Doucoure, Pereyra, Capoue and Watson. It's a big ask for him to nail down a first team starting place, but going on last night he's a wonderful player and is well suited to the Premier League.

Btw, how are Vydra and Anya getting on?

Silva has not improved Will Hughes. He's a natural and will play better if he has better, more intelligent players around him.

Vydra's sound and scoring some great goals, Anya is a nice guy but unlikely to play many games tbh.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting how when Derby sell players we talk about the fee without the addons, Hughes £4/4.5m not £8m.

When talking about players we’ve signed, addons are included, Tom Lawrence for example is £7m not £5m.

No idea which is the right way to look at the fees, without knowing what those addons are and how realistic it is they will be triggered the addons to £8m for Hughes may never be received.

Something I’ve noticed anyhow that it’s one rule for incomings and one for outgoings.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting how when Derby sell players we talk about the fee without the addons, Hughes £4/4.5m not £8m.

When talking about players we’ve signed, addons are included, Tom Lawrence for example is £7m not £5m.

No idea which is the right way to look at the fees, without knowing what those addons are and how realistic it is they will be triggered the addons to £8m for Hughes may never be received.

Something I’ve noticed anyhow that it’s one rule for incomings and one for outgoings.

Theres no evidence it was 8m with add ons.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Silva has not improved Will Hughes. He's a natural and will play better if he has better, more intelligent players around him.

Don't underestimate the power of a manager. Look at Pep (who I've previously doubted) and his effect on the likes of De Bruyne, Sane and particularly Sterling.

David Meyler, who played under him at Hull, said he's the real deal.

8 hours ago, Watford Fan said:

he was taken away from the first team, and the coaches have worked very hard with him. Silva has worked wonders and he's come back like a new player.

not sure whether am taking out of context, but if he's doing the things you say, keeping ball in tight spaces etc, it's nothing to do with your coaches and Silva, he already had that in his locker.

37 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Don't underestimate the power of a manager. Look at Pep (who I've previously doubted) and his effect on the likes of De Bruyne, Sane and particularly Sterling.

David Meyler, who played under him at Hull, said he's the real deal.

I’m getting a bit forgetful, but I can’t remember Pep being manager at Hull :ph34r:

22 hours ago, Sir Ramalot said:

And your point??.... oh yes there isn’t a clear one just a cryptic statement about how many games people go to?.... random and pointless

I think the point is that I do take an interest in and support the current crop of young players. I even went down to watch Cheltenham v Swindon in the October international break to see how Elsnik and Gordon were doing. If you look in the under 23s thread I contribute quite regularly, I hope in a fairly informed way. 

I don't think that being interested in the career of a previous academy graduate means that I am not interested in the current players, which is what your original post was implying. 

@rynnywas just sticking up for me, which I, for one, appreciated!

5 hours ago, David said:

I don't like using the add on figures when talking about transfers because no one has any idea what the requirements for those add ons would be. So in this case it's £4.5 million for Hughes and £5 million for Lawrence. 

11 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I don't like using the add on figures when talking about transfers because no one has any idea what the requirements for those add ons would be. So in this case it's £4.5 million for Hughes and £5 million for Lawrence. 

Probably the fairest way, didn’t West Ham bid for a player over in Italy and one of the addons being if they qualify for Champions League?

Hughes could be playing for England or again Europe.

Hughes also has a sell on fee as does Ince so we will never know the true number what we get for him. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Probably the fairest way, didn’t West Ham bid for a player over in Italy and one of the addons being if they qualify for Champions League?

Hughes could be playing for England or again Europe.

Hughes also has a sell on fee as does Ince so we will never know the true number what we get for him. 

What does football manager say? :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Moist One said:

not sure whether am taking out of context, but if he's doing the things you say, keeping ball in tight spaces etc, it's nothing to do with your coaches and Silva, he already had that in his locker.

I agree, he clearly had the ability, but having that skill and being able to showcase it at the top level are two different things. Sometimes a player needs to learn a bit from training with other Premier league players, away from first team action, just until he gets used to it all.

I know Silva has worked with him a lot to get him doing the things he wants him to do. To win the ball, then to move it on quickly. I think he was trying to do too much initially and was holding onto the ball too long. Everything is so much quicker in the Premier and those killer pass opportunities are quickly closed down if you're not quick. I think this is what the Watford coaches have worked on with him, and judging by the last two matches, he's doing very well.

14 minutes ago, Watford Fan said:

I agree, he clearly had the ability, but having that skill and being able to showcase it at the top level are two different things. Sometimes a player needs to learn a bit from training with other Premier league players, away from first team action, just until he gets used to it all.

I know Silva has worked with him a lot to get him doing the things he wants him to do. To win the ball, then to move it on quickly. I think he was trying to do too much initially and was holding onto the ball too long. Everything is so much quicker in the Premier and those killer pass opportunities are quickly closed down if you're not quick. I think this is what the Watford coaches have worked on with him, and judging by the last two matches, he's doing very well.

He used to run the show for the U21s long before he was a PL player. The better players he plays with, the better player he looks.

He might have needed a little while to adapt to the step-up in quality of team mates and opposition, but what you saw vs West Ham has always been there for Will. It's all him, very little to do with Marco Silva.

I watched both of his games and didn't see anything I hadn't seen him do for Derby. I think the difference, and what he's had to learn, is playing in a more advanced role and therefore less time. At Derby he tend to sit at the base dictating the pace of the play so, yes, he did slow it down. Further up the pitch you can't do that. 

Having watched him from his league debut a Peterborough, when we thought a Ball Boy had sneaked on the pitch, he's had a lot of challenges and always figured them out.

19 hours ago, Watford Fan said:

You can trust him with the ball in tight spaces, which is vital in the Prem. He's intelligent and moves the ball quickly.

That's exactly the Will Hughes I remember from his Derby days to be honest. The boy has just got bags of natural talent.

I think working with Silva will suit him more than working under Rowett as I think GR viewed the creativity and vision that Will brings to a team as something of an unnecessary luxury. Silva, hopefully for Will, has a different outlook. I really hope Hughes can flourish at Watford.

3 hours ago, Watford Fan said:

He was doing it here mate. As has been said he probably just needed time to get up to speed. He was never one to score 30 yarders or try to force a pass. 

He's always been about simple stuff done to great effect for the good of others. 

He's not just a nice passer. He isn't shy to get his hands dirty and believe it or not he can also be a bit of a c***. The kind you like when on your team.

Archived