Will Hughes Watch

Day

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Kennington Ram said:

If Hughes nails a a regular place for Watford and a few retire or shame themselves at the WC, no reason Hughes can't get a senior cap. If his form really picked up he could still go to the WC, I get the impression the new U21s slot easily into the senior side now.

Southgate is still rubbish tho.

If he keeps a regular place, he'll get a cap or two, regardless of whether others retire, or are deemed crap.  Who'd you rather have in your side, Hughes or Livermore/Lingard???  Christ, I'd even have him over Henderson or Dier!!!

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

If he keeps a regular place, he'll get a cap or two, regardless of whether others retire, or are deemed crap.  Who'd you rather have in your side, Hughes or Livermore/Lingard???  Christ, I'd even have him over Henderson or Dier!!!

Unfortunately it appears that Henderson/Dier are the two rocks which Southgate wishes to build his house upon! 

3 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Unfortunately it appears that Henderson/Dier are the two rocks which Southgate wishes to build his house upon! 

And that's why we'll struggle to get out of the group.  Dier, at least he has a purpose, but Henderson's very much like Bryson, a lot running around, and shuttling the ball sideways 10 yards.

Imagine a midfield three of Dier Hughes & Wiltshire, we'd actually have a midfield that could keep possession under pressure...

Some stats about Will's recent game against West Ham:

Will's latest goal courtesy of Newcastle TV:

The lad could have had a hattrick if it wasn't for a totally useless Andre Gray getting in the way, which led to a confiddent Will rightly berating him on the pitch. When Gray finally scored from half a yard out and Hughesy went over to congratulate him, Gray was not very nice about it:

Guardian headline: Will Hughes leads the way as Watford ease to victory over Newcastle

20 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

But the Derby managers would never give him the more forward role his skill and ability to unlock opposition defences was crying out for.

I’m not entirely sure his current role for Watford is that different in practise from his role under McClaren...

3 hours ago, cannable said:

I’m not entirely sure his current role for Watford is that different in practise from his role under McClaren...

His Watford role is equivalent of where Tom Ince was playing for Derby, the right-hand side of a front three. If you look at his position on WhoScored he was the second furthest forward (pretty much alongside Gray) against West Ham, with the Newcastle lineup making it look a more symmetrical right-sided striker of three forwards. In these games they've played Cleverley and Abdoulaye as the two holding central midfielders with wingbacks bombing on but not getting anywhere near as advanced as Will. Maybe a better analogy is to say he's in our Tom Lawrence role now, but with the whole team also up the pitch to offer the forward line support.

Here's a controversial view for you. I rarely get provocative when I'm posting about Derby but I can't let this lie.

This thread is one of those that makes me realise just how much I was banging my head against a brick wall with certain posters, I've said for ages there are those who can judge a player and those who can't. 

I've spent the last 7 years on this forum having to bite my tongue, sometimes being honest enough to say to someone you don't have a clue, then getting slated for it, got into rows with those same posters who think they know what they're talking about. Got banned for having a row with Bris when he posted (amongst other things) that Jeff Hendrick was a league one player who would drift into obscurity. Having to waste my time actually coming up with reasons why he was wrong. Having to sit and read comments from posters like him trying to convince me I'm wrong and they're right., in fact not only are they right but they're footballing guru's who should be working in the game.

Wanting to be direct in saying "you've not got a clue" but knowing if I'm too direct it'll result in all hell breaking loose.

Trying to tell me Will Hughes wasn't a player. Trying to tell me he'd lost his ability and had gone backwards.

I wish I could me more honest with my posts. I wish that from now on when I saw a poster spouting a stupid opinion on a player I could point them back to threads like this about Will, threads like this about Jeff, threads like this about football in general.

I've said for years now that 80% of football fans are duck eggs who wouldn't know a player if it hit them in the face.

Will Hughes being a shining example of that.

I wish in future I could just say what's on my mind and not have to justify my views to the occasional numpty who if were in a pub I'd stop talking football to in about 3 minutes when it became clear they knew nowt.

Will Hughes will play for England, said it since he was 16, no reason to change my mind at any point since then. Will Hughes is great I love him. 

My (and a few others to be fair) football knowledge is great, I love me :-)

Archived