Will Hughes Watch

Day

42 minutes ago, curtains said:

Well Premier loans don’t come cheap n

Neither do Premier League signings. I'm sure the likes of Ledley, Lawrence, Huddlestone, Davies and Wisdom (second time round) are on more than the likes of Wisdom (first time round), Bamford and Lingaard were when McClaren signed them.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Life moves on, you're right. Just breaks my heart that the most technically gifted player we've had in a long time is wearing another teams colours and worse of all, we didn' seem to put up much of a fight to keep him. :(

He won't be the last of Mac's/cloughs lads to go under GR......he wants rid of that sort of player.

27 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

We kept hold of him a lot longer than we should or could have, if any EPL team actually fancied him.

He had scouts watching him for about 4 years and no one took a punt.

He was ordinary to the point he was poor in the last 1.5 - 2 seasons with us.

Seeing the likes of him go, means we can move on and improve... much in the same way idiakez was sold, then the team went and got promoted that season!

Seriously what good is nice balance, weight of pass and technical ability if he doesnt score, doesnt provide any assists, and cant tackle.

Utter b*******... he just made an assist in the Prem... and an assist for last years goal of the season in the EFL. and he can tackle too.

He's never been an ordinary player and will go from strength to strength. So will Hendrick. Idiakez was sold when he was past his peak... hughes is nowhere near his.   

Just now, swiftur said:

My mate was in hughes company ,winding him up about going to Watford.Hughes said "theres no point in staying where your not wanted"

Jeeze. I didn't think even we were that daft.

28 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Seeing the likes of him go, means we can move on and improve... much in the same way idiakez was sold, then the team went and got promoted that season!

Seriously what good is nice balance, weight of pass and technical ability if he doesnt score, doesnt provide any assists, and cant tackle.

Holy ****, what's that?

46 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Life moves on, you're right. Just breaks my heart that the most technically gifted player we've had in a long time is wearing another teams colours and worse of all, we didn' seem to put up much of a fight to keep him. :(

That's what really frustrates the most, the fact that we seemed rather eager to sell. The timing was also ridiculous, just before his staring role in the Euros. Who was the brains behind that? 

We got more years out of Hughes than we should. Better suited to Prem football, got no issue with us letting him go and fulfil his potential. Hope this is the start of an excellent top flight career. A complete waste of time using this as something to attack Rowett with.

3 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

They are better than Derby.

For sure .

We have to aspire to be better 

Interesting interview with Will on Match of the day 2.

Discussing the difference between the Championship and the Premiership and how Silva has helped him. 

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

We kept hold of him a lot longer than we should or could have, if any EPL team actually fancied him.

This is ironic, right?

Yeah, screw that Iniesta bloke who never scores, assists and can't tackle. Lucky to be making a living at Barcelona.

BTW, Hughes consistently topped our tackling stats while he was here.

Watford did. He's playing in the Premier League and has been to international U21 tournaments. Bizarre for an ordinary championship player

He was injured for 1 season.

We could improve or we could get worse. A team is a machine that has so many moving parts. 

Well for starters it brings out the best in others. Releasing the ball at the right time and to the right man. Only a tiny % of a football match is made up of goals, assists and tackles. I think Maldini has a famous quote about tackling? But as a defender a tackle is the last thing. First comes the jockeying to position. The holding up. The pressure to send the ball where you want them to send it. A tackle comes last when you're odds are favourable or the situation is desperate. 

Hughes can and always has been able to tackle. How have you not seen him do it? 

I'd be interested to get your take on the likes of Yaya Toure, Luka Modric, Iniesta and Xavi. Great players who are known for their creativity yet rarely assist or score. 

I mean an assist is total joke of a stat anyway. It's near on useless to assess the creativity of a player. It's so flawed.

Like I said. A tiny % of the game is made up of goals, assists and tackles. 

Thats crackers, but the comparison with Idiakez isn't so wrong.

billy got rid of idiakez in order to stamp his identity on the team and build a workmanlike counter attacking team.

that wembley performance was one that Gary would be proud of.

Unfortunately when we tried it against better teams we got absolutely hammered.

the best strategy is to be good with the ball. And hughesy is great at that.

Most if not all Derby fans knew and know how good Hughes was/is. We said it all along. He’s better than Hendrick and Ince combined. He was dragged down by inept managers and an inept surrounding cast. It was time for him to get the hell out of dodge, sadly. Increase his speed of play and he runs the midfield of a premier league outfit. 

At least we can enjoy watching him and maybe one day we go up they come down and we get him back ... who knows.

12 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Yeah, screw that Iniesta bloke who never scores, assists and can't tackle. Lucky to be making a living at Barcelona.

BTW, Hughes consistently topped our tackling stats while he was here.

I remember this argument a few years back and I had a quick look at the assist standings for that season. It was midseason at the time and Paul Anderson at Ipswich had more than double the assists of David Silva, Iniesta, Toure. And none had scored more than a couple of goals.

Anderson was taking corners and free kicks. 

To truly see how creative a player is you would have to see their complete involvement to the build up of every chance. Then evaluate the quality of the chance created. I mean I could pass to you and you could shoot from 40 yards into the top corner. I get an assist. Or I beat 5 players, give you an open goal and you miss... no assist. 

How many times does Hughes assist the assist? 

It's b******* stat. Almost completely useless. It kind of implies that football is like some turn based shooting game. Where each player is free to do their thing. 

Archived