Derby County V Sheffield Wednesday

peachmyster

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Crikey! How did we manage to sneak a win out of all that possession. That's so anti-zeitgeist and unfashionable. 

It was just the 10 men thing skewing the figures EF, relax. Normal service will be resumed.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Totally routine win.... for all the talk about them being this amazing footballing team with Barry Iniesta in the midfield I just thought they were a big ball lump it to Hooper or whoever team.....very very average.

The win never looked in doubt, just like last weekend.....E I E I O......

Thought their fans were rubbish today, from the off they were quiet, was expecting more from them, lol at the song - gary 'oooper haha, think they might have stolen that from.......err...wait.......err.......no fecker..:lol:

3 hours ago, lrm14 said:

This post honestly makes Ninos' opinion of Martin look reasonable. 

From what I remember from the game in terms of chances, Russell put 2 great crosses in early in both halves which we should have done better with (especially the second one with Vydra missing the ball entirely). He forced a decent save late in the first half from the long range effort and he assisted the second goal with a nice pass inside to Johnson. Lawrence missed a 'standard' one on one, hit a freekick into the wall then blazed the second opportunity over the bar and passed to Russell for the second goal (although he overcooked his pass and slowed the entire attack down). When was this 'standard' one on one that you're talking about? Was it even more 'standard' than the one that Lawrence missed in the first half? Not sure how you can use something like that against Russell but then completely ignore the one Lawrence missed.

Defensively we conceded close to 0 chances on Russells side (a cross in the first half where the second ball fell to Hooper is the only thing I can think of, with Reach having an absolutely torrid game. On the other side of the pitch I seem to remember Wallace having a lot more freedom, while Hunt had enough space to fizz across a few relatively dangerous crosses. Now the fullbacks certainly play a part here (Fozzy had a mare), but in the grand scheme of things we actually conceded more chances on Lawrence's side than Russell's.

Saying things such as 'people see what they want to see' and 'I'm unbiased and look at their whole' then proceeding to post one of the most biased posts I think I've seen on these forums followed by a very cherry picked analysis of the game, is questionable to say the least. Do you not think if Derby fans like Russell and you're part of that minority that jump down his throat when he makes a mistake while dismissing his good games, then perhaps your opinion on him is wrong and maybe you're the biased one?

On a sidenote - You're not Rosa Parks or something for crediting Martin and criticising Vydra today. I'm pretty sure every unbiased person who went to the game would agree that Martin came on looking to stake a claim and Vydra fell off after a very bright 20 minutes. 

You say what lol.

stake a claim? Claim a steak maybe

vydra? it’s goals goals goals goals 

martin? it’s nada nada nada nada

As my bubble bath duck rubbing friend Alphie says, the stats don’t lie ... Most of the time anyway :)

Now prove me wrong Chrissy .... and impact a game ... pretty please

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

I stated that Russell had a good game but I thought Lawrence was better, then end up having it thrown down my throat because some Russell fanboys can't accept it when someone has a different opinion to them?

And people wonder why I use this forum less and less. You can't express any opinions on a players performance because people get offended when you criticise their favourite players.

Neither Russell or Lawrence did much for me and neither did martin Hudds (ugh) Ledley (decent) Forsyth (ugh) and Nuge and Vyds went quiet too. The passing was very ponderous uber slow and predictable and only Vydra made very clever passes but they mostly went wrong. Let’s just wipe this one off the collective memory and take the gifted points and move on. Everything Rowett did tactically and his post game were spot on. I’d say Johnson was the best player ... cuz he’s lethal defended well and sealed the deal in paltry minutes.

i know GR can’t change a winning lineup at home but I’d feel much happier with either Thorne and Johnson in there instead of Hudds. But whatever.

On 17 October 2017 at 13:06, Wolfie said:

Nothing to fear in this one. They are level with us in the table, having played a game more - plus, their away form is as bad as ours.

Unchanged team but maybe bring Thorne on a bit earlier for fitness.

Indeed. I would have got him on sooner...

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

And people wonder why I use this forum less and less. You can't express any opinions on a players performance because people get offended when you criticise their favourite players.

Good that we can put the rumours to bed then now we know the real reason. It's been a hot topic of conversation on here.

I've just watched the highlights and it looks as though we were unfortunate not to win by a bigger margin. 

I didn't think Loovens should have been sent off, common sense speaking, but definitely a penalty and Westwood should have walked for his save a few yards out of the area. It probably equaled its self out in the end. 

If we were to win our game in hand then we would be in the top six, which I find surprising considering we have only had one performance this season which I would say represents a top 6 team in this league. Nevertheless, keep it going men! 

Just catching up with all this. There were some positives - a clean sheet and 3 points being the main. Davies looks better with each game, Ledley is proving a good signing, Vyds scores again, Russell I thought was our best player despite Keogh being given man of the match (I think he was?). Good to see full backs getting a bit further forward too.

The negatives though came in the second half. Ledley and Huddstone simply wouldn't pass forward, despite movement ahead, and despite someone - full back or wide man, always being in good space. I know Wednesday put nine men behind the ball all the time but they weren't very good at it and there was always space around. But it was touch touch, look up, touch, pass sideways all the time. I can forgive Ledley but I thought Huddlestone was in the team to unlock defences with his excellent range of passes. He was dreadful yesterday and looking less and less a decent signing. Their lack of quick ball meant it all became very turgid.

Lawrence needs to step up a bit too. He looks like he's got backs of talent but drifting in and out of games yesterday when we were crying out for a bit of creativity isn't good enough. Like Huddlestone, that's what he's there to do, create a spark, something different, take responsibility. He didn't do it enough yesterday. We all know Russell's limitations but he defended well and for once every single time he got the ball he looked to drive forward with it, to progress play by 20 or 30 yards. He was pretty much the only one.

Sub wise, Johnson did well when he came on and of course got the crucial goal that prevented a nervous last few mins. Martin was the right sub but didn't really impact the game.

In all, the fact that plenty, myself, left the ground having beaten Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 feeling a little meh, which is ridiculous but tells us everything about the game.

18 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Fair point, people take away different opinions and views of each game. I thought Bannon by far outshon Huddlestone. He was the only Wednesday player who Id say would improve the Derby team based on today's performance. 

You might have thought Bannon played well and was good on Saturday, but you wouldn't like him when he was angry. 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Just catching up with all this. There were some positives - a clean sheet and 3 points being the main. Davies looks better with each game, Ledley is proving a good signing, Vyds scores again, Russell I thought was our best player despite Keogh being given man of the match (I think he was?). Good to see full backs getting a bit further forward too.

The negatives though came in the second half. Ledley and Huddstone simply wouldn't pass forward, despite movement ahead, and despite someone - full back or wide man, always being in good space. I know Wednesday put nine men behind the ball all the time but they weren't very good at it and there was always space around. But it was touch touch, look up, touch, pass sideways all the time. I can forgive Ledley but I thought Huddlestone was in the team to unlock defences with his excellent range of passes. He was dreadful yesterday and looking less and less a decent signing. Their lack of quick ball meant it all became very turgid.

Lawrence needs to step up a bit too. He looks like he's got backs of talent but drifting in and out of games yesterday when we were crying out for a bit of creativity isn't good enough. Like Huddlestone, that's what he's there to do, create a spark, something different, take responsibility. He didn't do it enough yesterday. We all know Russell's limitations but he defended well and for once every single time he got the ball he looked to drive forward with it, to progress play by 20 or 30 yards. He was pretty much the only one.

Sub wise, Johnson did well when he came on and of course got the crucial goal that prevented a nervous last few mins. Martin was the right sub but didn't really impact the game.

In all, the fact that plenty, myself, left the ground having beaten Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 feeling a little meh, which is ridiculous but tells us everything about the game.

I agree with most of this but I suspect Ledley and Huddlestone were reluctant to pass to the full backs because time and time again their output was so poor.

I also didn’t see much intelligent movement ahead. Lots of Derby players stood next to their markers and not calling was what I saw. Very difficult to pass under those circumstances.

Archived