Derby County V Sheffield Wednesday

peachmyster

Think we're playing a very pragmatic style of football, formulaic even, but slowly but surely, you can see the threads being drawn together. I'm still not totally convinced but I predicted a play-off slot before the season started and I'll stand by that. Whether we have the requisite flare to win a play-off is still uncertain but if Lawrence can find his best form and Rowett find us a jewel of an attacking midfielder come January, we just might dare to dream. I'm more than hopeful so credit to Rowett, his first term grade is a strong B + :thumbsup:

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree with most of this but I suspect Ledley and Huddlestone were reluctant to pass to the full backs because time and time again their output was so poor.

I also didn’t see much intelligent movement ahead. Lots of Derby players stood next to their markers and not calling was what I saw. Very difficult to pass under those circumstances.

I can vehemently confirm seeing JR on the brink of a forward run on 3 occasions but the pass was not forthcoming {think back 3 seasons and JR's equaliser versus Huddersfield? when Thorne threaded the ball through the eye of a needle for JR to hop and skip the ball into the net }.

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think we're playing a very pragmatic style of football, formulaic even, but slowly but surely, you can see the threads being drawn together. I'm still not totally convinced but I predicted a play-off slot before the season started and I'll stand by that. Whether we have the requisite flare to win a play-off is still uncertain but if Lawrence can find his best form and Rowett find us a jewel of an attacking midfielder come January, we just might dare to dream. I'm more than hopeful so credit to Rowett, his first term grade is a strong B + :thumbsup:

Agree with the formulaic/pragmatic description; derivative even. Think your B+ is a little over-baked. For me it's a C++/B- for now. 2 points or above from the next 2 games and I'll upgrade to a straight B. We just though don't have enough outstanding performers at the moment. 

22 hours ago, McLovin said:

He had a shot that he hit straight at Westwood, the one on one in the second half and another situation where he cut back instead of passing or shooting.

Don't worry @lrm14, Keogh should have had a hat trick based on missing a 1-on-1 and going up for two corners.

32 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Agree with the formulaic/pragmatic description; derivative even. Think your B+ is a little over-baked. For me it's a C++/B- for now. 2 points or above from the next 2 games and I'll upgrade to a straight B. We just though don't have enough outstanding performers at the moment. 

Not sure how many teams in the division have one, let alone multiple 'outstanding performers' and I think Rowetts vision is more about a skilled team who work exceptionally hard for each other than star performers, as such. You make a valid point though and I agree, I think we need some real flare in the side but Rowett will know more than me as to what's really needed.

As for my rating, winning the game in hand puts us in the play-offs only 13 games into the season and that after a major squad re-build. That's mildly impressive in my book, especially in such an absurdly competitive league.

Besides, I'm a bona fide, hard-core happy clapper :D

30 minutes ago, 86 points said:

The attacking midfield jewel is already in the squad. I think Lawrence is getting better every game and so far been unlucky not to score. I am sure when he does score he will grow in confidence and score with ease in future games. I feel the same about Chris Martin, coming off the bench in the last few matches, he also has been unlucky not to score. Once he does he will chip in with more than the teams share.

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Not sure how many teams in the division have one, let alone multiple 'outstanding performers' and I think Rowetts vision is more about a skilled team who work exceptionally hard for each other than star performers, as such. You make a valid point though and I agree, I think we need some real flare in the side but Rowett will know more than me as to what's really needed.

As for my rating, winning the game in hand puts us in the play-offs only 13 games into the season and that after a major squad re-build. That's mildly impressive in my book, especially in this such an absurdly competitive league.

Besides, I'm a bona fide, hard-core happy clapper :D

Me too. I didn't mean individualists. I meant George Thorne like who do the simple things well.

if we win the game in hand then I'd agree that is a good effort...at the mo I'm not confident we will so your grade is based on something that may not happen. 

1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

Still think one of our biggest mistakes was not insisting Butterfield played against us.

Ex players always score against us though.

Thought the game was crying out for Martin to come on yesterday . We seemed to work the ball forward then come to a full stop coming up against Wednesdays banks of defenders . Needed someone with Martins nous to play those little give and go balls through , his workrate was better , he seemed to run about ................a bit .

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Agreed...I think we are one or two players off being a very decent side and if George can regain his fitness and form then I will feel ever more hopeful.  We just need to find someone who can provide that spark/flair/inventiveness/speed. And as you say, Lawrence is yet to find his best form, but is showing some promise.

15 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree with most of this but I suspect Ledley and Huddlestone were reluctant to pass to the full backs because time and time again their output was so poor.

I also didn’t see much intelligent movement ahead. Lots of Derby players stood next to their markers and not calling was what I saw. Very difficult to pass under those circumstances.

You may be right, but one of the issues was clearly that they moved, were in space when the ball could have been played to them, and by the time Huddlestone or Ledley were ready to move the ball on they were being marked. I saw plenty of good runs into space on Saturday and a quick ball would have been really effective, it just never ever came.

In terms of playing to the full backs, Wisdom I thought did ok, Fozzy on the other hand looks a bit like George - atm he seems quite a way from the player he was pre-injury. 

31 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

what was that stuff all over the pitch?

Did you turn up late?

Confetti being fired from guns all around as the players came out. Part of the atmosphere building with the flags/cards etc. Looked great when it was snowing down, not so much if you have to play on it I guess!

13 hours ago, Robram said:

Thought the game was crying out for Martin to come on yesterday . We seemed to work the ball forward then come to a full stop coming up against Wednesdays banks of defenders . Needed someone with Martins nous to play those little give and go balls through , his workrate was better , he seemed to run about ................a bit .

Absolutely. I've heard Gazza Rowett say a coupleof times now after recent games "I was going to bring Chris Martin on at HT..." only not to. But that was a game for CM sooner...

30 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Did you turn up late?

Confetti being fired from guns all around as the players came out. Part of the atmosphere building with the flags/cards etc. Looked great when it was snowing down, not so much if you have to play on it I guess!

I didn't turn up at all.

I just wonder at the management meeting that decided it was a good idea. Someone suggests big confetti guns and instead of someone saying, 'What happens to all that paper once the match starts, especially if the weather forecast is correct and it's going to be blustery?', everyone goes, 'Yeah, great.'

Archived