Derby County V Sheffield Wednesday

peachmyster

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Wasnt at the game, but at one point, the Opta Stats  did say Wallace/Bannan (cant remember which) had a shot in the top corner saved...

Its weird how they sometimes take stats off.

Happened against cardiff with a Bamba header early in the game, and i was wondering did it get chalked off, as an effort on goal, if a freekick was given or it was offside.

Bannan had a left footed shot palmed away by Carson and was my MoM.

Russell was the only playerwho wanted to make things happen today.

The passing got worse as the game wore on but the lack of movement makes it difficult. Vydra could have come off earlier today.

Good 3 points though however they come. 

12 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I thought the same about your first paragraph. On the other hand though I though Wednesday should probably have had a pen for the push on Fletcher.

To be honest I can’t remember the ref getting a decision right, apart from our pen

I’d like to see the push on Fletcher again. What I will say it that Wednesday had a chance a few minutes before that was created by Fletcher giving a push in the back to Davies, so it’s swings and roundabouts for me I’m afraid. Ref did miss a hell of a lot of pushes/climbing. also there were a few times in the second half where Fletcher was being quite dangerous with his elbows going for headers which wasn’t picked up on. He wasn’t doing it on purpose per se but it was very clumsy.

36 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Think that was a cross he tipped away, unless I’m thinking of something else.

Can’t say I ever felt particularly worried about them

You weren't worried when whoever it was pushed Fletcher over in the box or when Carson made that wonder save to stop the guy at the far post smashing it in? 

You have nerves of steel.

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Referees decisions were a major factor.

It was a penalty for us but there is no way that it should be a sending off. The defender has to make an attempt to win the ball. He didn't deliberately bring vydra down.

Nah, it was a brilliant decision by the referee for the penalty and red.

"However, the law has now changed so that players committing accidental fouls, that deny a goal-scoring opportunity, are not automatically sent off, but cautioned instead.

Players will still be sent off for holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball."

Loovens both pushed Vydra and also had no possibility to play the ball because Vydra was already past him. The only argument Wednesday fans can probably have is whether or not the foul was committed inside the box or not.

dd90736c273a1a4aa970281543542db5.gif

6 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

You weren't worried when whoever it was pushed Fletcher over in the box or when Carson made that wonder save to stop the guy at the far post smashing it in? 

You have nerves of steel.

That shot which wouldn't have counted as the Lino had his flag up hence us getting a free kick rather than them getting a corner. 

3 points enough said, sheff Wednesday stuck at it and I was surprised to see fletcher go off in the 2nd half with the wind behind them 

that’s the two best headers of the ball from centre forward in the last two games in fletcher and Murphy with two clean sheets - not bad 

another assist for Russell and another converted penalty which is proving helpful.

13 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Not a criticism but I see no use for Huddlestone to play home games... don’t need him stood behind our CBS when we’re supposed to be taking it to the opposition. 

Good result, hoping confidence from results lead to better performances though! 

Sounds like a criticism if I’m honest. But a criticism that’s justified. Against the better teams away then fair enough, be defensive but not against the weaker away teams or anyone at home. I think he’s just trying to steady the ship and grind out points. I’m just hoping he gets more confidence in himself and his squad soon and tries to win every game rather than just not lose

Good win today. I thank Loovens for making it a foregone conclusion after 5 minutes. Four points from the next two away games and I am very happy. Anyone know what has happened to Forestieri, Abdi and Pudil? Ex Watford players at Wednesday and not one of them was in the squad. Forestieri in particular was their kingpin.

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

Sounds like a criticism if I’m honest. But a criticism that’s justified. Against the better teams away then fair enough, be defensive but not against the weaker away teams or anyone at home. I think he’s just trying to steady the ship and grind out points. I’m just hoping he gets more confidence in himself and his squad soon and tries to win every game rather than just not lose

It isn't a criticism of him because we all know what he offers and it does have its benefits in certain matches I just feel like it's very negative in home games to have your creative playmaker stood behind your centre backs 

-As soon as Loovens got sent off I thought ‘that’s the game ruined’. Usually the Sheffield Wednesday home games are quite entertaining, not today though. Saying that,  stupid stupid challenge and deserved to go. The game was always going to be frustrating, Wednesday still aren’t a bad side, but we got there in the end.

-Vydra scores again but still doesn’t answer the criticisms you can lay at his door in the no. 10 role for me. Today Bannan came deep to get the ball as that’s where the space was and he looked good because he had time. I don’t think I can remember a time Vydra got close and unfortunately that has to be part of his job. On the flipside though, that first 20 minutes was some of the best I’ve seen of Vydra attacking, can’t fault his work in and around the opposition box and its getting results. Only worry is if we become too reliant on him like we were with Ince.

-Also Huddlestone gets a lot of stick, some of it is deserved, but also it doesn’t help when the attackers are hiding behind players and not wanting the ball.

- Wasn’t Nugents game today, last weekend the game suited him to a tee but that wasn’t the case today. Martin came on and although wasn’t great he at least pushed the play further up the pitch.

-Special mention for booing fans when we didn’t press forward. It was frustrating but come on. Felt a bit more negative/flat today in general which was a shame after last weeks atmosphere as we should be looking to keep that positivity going.

-Finally that walking football team should have two footed their block who had the worst celebration ever. They lost because they didn’t show passion, sack the manager I say.

7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Nah, it was a brilliant decision by the referee for the penalty and red.

"However, the law has now changed so that players committing accidental fouls, that deny a goal-scoring opportunity, are not automatically sent off, but cautioned instead.

Players will still be sent off for holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball."

Loovens both pushed Vydra and also had no possibility to play the ball because Vydra was already past him. The only argument Wednesday fans can probably have is whether or not the foul was committed inside the box or not.

dd90736c273a1a4aa970281543542db5.gif

Still looks a pen but not a red for me.

48 minutes ago, needles said:

I've not seen it back, yet but shouldn't we have had another peno when Lawrence hit the post and didn't their keeper handle outside the box soon afterwards?

They had me a bit nervous in the middle of the second half, but in the end Carson was largely untroubled. Sheff Wed played really well in a classic 10 men away scenario, but we never really had to get out of second gear.

Lawrence needs a goal. Johnny Russell was my MoM.

On a bit of a mini-run now. Clean sheets. Can we keep it rolling? It's hope rather than expectation at the moment as we're not really convincing me. Solid, but unspectacular. 

Yes I thought they could have had two or three sent off in the first 15 mins and conceded two penos. They could have had one peno back though. 

Archived