6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Steve McClaren common denominator

First season under Mac

Derby 2 Boro 1

Derby 5 Blackpool 1

Derby 3 Huddersfield 1

Derby 4 Watford 2

Derby 0 QPR 1

All the games which the opposition had a player sent off. Not sure what your common denominator reply is all about?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

First season under Mac

Derby 2 Boro 1

Derby 5 Blackpool 1

Derby 3 Huddersfield 1

Derby 4 Watford 2

Derby 0 QPR 1

All the games which the opposition had a player sent off. Not sure what your common denominator reply is all about?

You missed Wembley against 10 men. 

Oh no you didn’t. 

Bring back the Mac. 

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

So what 

What about Wembley against 10 men. 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Oh no you didn’t. 

Bring back the Mac. 

I don't understand your point now

Are you saying that we never beat 10 men? Because you've given us only one (admittedly important) example where we've given you loads in return where we played well AND beat 10 men

Are you saying we need to be more ruthless and play more 'effective' but less 'entertaining' football in order to beat 10 men? Because a lot of those examples were also entertaining wins

What is your point exactly? Other than in one very painful game we lost to 10 men...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

As long as Gary is saying performances like that aren't yet good enough I'm happy with him

I take the opposite stance; there are enough pundits on here to differentiate between a good and bad performance, I would expect the manager to start walking the walk rather than talking the talk.  When I see this translated into performances and ultimately results then I'll be happy with him.

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

So what 

What about Wembley against 10 men. 

I was answering @cheron85's question if we were already battering them.

What has Wembley got to do with Wassall's team beating Hull in the league?

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

Oh no you didn’t. 

Bring back the Mac. 

Not sure what your point is curtains, I gave you an example of how I perceive entertaining football, and, imo, if we played like that over 46 games we would win a lot more than we don't win. I don't care who the manager is, could Rowett, McClaren, Clough, Pearson etc it could any of them if we played like we did in that game against Leeds.

Rowett is our manager, and I want him to do well, I want him to play an entertaining winning brand of football, whilst the last 2 games have been won they haven't been master pieces. I will say the Forest game, we managed the game superbly after the second goal and it was good to see.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Just to sort of end the thread here maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41721133

Derby manager Gary Rowett still wants more from his Championship side despite a fourth home win in five games.

The Rams beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 on Saturday to go ninth in the table.

"I am not overly happy and I think we can do a lot better, but it's another clean sheet and another win," Rowett told BBC Radio Derby.

"We have to be better when not in possession. I thought our energy to win back the ball was poor and we have to do that side of the game much better."

Derby are now only three points off the play-offs after successive 2-0 home wins over fierce rivals Nottingham Forest and the Owls.

Rowett's side have also thumped Hull and scraped past Preston at Pride Park to go with a draw against Birmingham and 2-0 defeat by Wolves in August.

But their away form has been a stumbling block with just one win on the road all season.

"My concern is, as a manager, is that if you allow bad habits to develop, at some point they are going to bite you on the backside and you will lose a game or two because of it," Rowett continued.

"We weren't god enough with the ball and we didn't open pockets up. We didn't play with enough quality, especially in the final third.

"A side like Sheffield Wednesday are always dangerous and they created too many chances for my liking - and I felt they should have had a penalty as well.

"I am disappointed but we are starting to build quite nicely and that's a good disappointment to have."

I think he meant "good enough" in there - But overall he is saying pretty much what I felt on Saturday - We should have been easily the better team at home against 10 men - But we sat off and let them play, didn't pressure them when they had the ball, didn't open them up enough and didn't play with enough quality - As long as Gary is saying performances like that aren't yet good enough I'm happy with him

I heard GR's interview on the radio, but with borderline reception, so I may have mis-heard.Also I was concentrating on driving in heavy traffic.

He said (I believe) that the team lacked athleticism, and he was disappointed with some of the players he'd inherited, and had expected them to do better.

Perhaps someone with better reception (and hearing) could confirm or otherwise. I must say I was  a little surprised in him saying it, but he's probably got a point.

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't understand your point now

Are you saying that we never beat 10 men? Because you've given us only one (admittedly important) example where we've given you loads in return where we played well AND beat 10 men

Are you saying we need to be more ruthless and play more 'effective' but less 'entertaining' football in order to beat 10 men? Because a lot of those examples were also entertaining wins

What is your point exactly? Other than in one very painful game we lost to 10 men...

Sheffield Wednesday played well with 10 men .

We won the game 2-0 .

We have gone 5 unbeaten .

You brought the 10 men up first. 

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I take the opposite stance; there are enough pundits on here to differentiate between a good and bad performance, I would expect the manager to start walking the walk rather than talking the talk.  When I see this translated into performances and ultimately results then I'll be happy with him.

Sorry should have been clearer - I'm not happy with the performances - But we showed for 15 mins at the start that there is potential there for some decent play - And it's early days and we're still settling into his system - I'd still suggest for example that we don't really have very inspiring backup for our wingers at the moment - If either are having a bad game we don't really have anyone to bring on who could change a game - And the team are obviously still adapting to the way he wants to play

I have patience - We're not yet the finished article - And the fact that Rowett is saying that reassures me that Rowett doesn't think it's finished either - I will maintain patience with him as long as he doesn't think Saturday's performance was good

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I heard GR's interview on the radio, but with borderline reception, so I may have mis-heard.Also I was concentrating on driving in heavy traffic.

He said (I believe) that the team lacked athleticism, and he was disappointed with some of the players he'd inherited, and had expected them to do better.

Perhaps someone with better reception (and hearing) could confirm or otherwise. I must say I was  a little surprised in him saying it, but he's probably got a point.

Pretty sure he was directing at some of the players he brought in too! I definitely think the athleticism comments were directed at Huddlestone and Ledley - Both of who looked ponderous - But that he recongnised those are problems with the current squad and they add value in other areas - He spoke a bit about having experience rather than youth/hunger - That younger players can be intimidated on the big stage or if games get tough where older, more experienced players are more likely to keep calm

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Sheffield Wednesday played well with 10 men .

We won the game 2-0 .

We have gone 5 unbeaten .

You brought the 10 men up first. 

Okay - So you aren't actually making any point then? Just being belligerent?

We played poorly against a team with 10 men - Expectations are that a team who want to aspire to promotion would take advantage of a team with 10 men - We didn't - We let them play instead of chasing them down, we gave them space when we should have pressured, we constantly gave them the ball back through poor passing when it should be easier to find our own players since we had an extra one and we failed to break them down through slow play when quicker ball movement and decision making would have opened up holes in their defence

So you see I'm making a point here that we should have done better

I'm starting to think your point is just "yeh but we won so nothing else matters"

Just now, cheron85 said:

Pretty sure he was directing at some of the players he brought in too! I definitely think the athleticism comments were directed at Huddlestone and Ledley - Both of who looked ponderous - But that he recongnised those are problems with the current squad and they add value in other areas - He spoke a bit about having experience rather than youth/hunger - That younger players can be intimidated on the big stage or if games get tough where older, more experienced players are more likely to keep calm

Okay - So you aren't actually making any point then? Just being belligerent?

We played poorly against a team with 10 men - Expectations are that a team who want to aspire to promotion would take advantage of a team with 10 men - We didn't - We let them play instead of chasing them down, we gave them space when we should have pressured, we constantly gave them the ball back through poor passing when it should be easier to find our own players since we had an extra one and we failed to break them down through slow play when quicker ball movement and decision making would have opened up holes in their defence

So you see I'm making a point here that we should have done better

I'm starting to think your point is just "yeh but we won so nothing else matters"

Ultimately nothing else does matter you are right.  

Promotion is the only thing that matters at the end of the day. 

30 minutes ago, curtains said:

I disagree - I still have the painful memories of getting promoted when we weren't ready and the football we played was dire and all we did was grind out results every week - Definitely second best in the playoff final

And that went REALLY WELL... 

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

I disagree - I still have the painful memories of getting promoted when we weren't ready and the football we played was dire and all we did was grind out results every week - Definitely second best in the playoff final

And that went REALLY WELL... 

Never forget  that day beating WBA and getting promoted.

It didn’t work out in the Premier League we all know that but neither did it work out for McClaren the season after we lost the Playoff Final to QPR did it . 

Billy Davies got us promoted but then bemoaned lack of spending power and  Paul  Jewell came in and that didn’t  work out either. 

Would always say I want promotion and I think Gary Rowett will achieve that eventually.

Bloody hell reading some of the post on here I think I will slash my wrist we got 3 points they did not play better than us because we got the 3 points not them if they played better we would have lost God help this forum if we lose it will go into meltdown

2 hours ago, curtains said:

It didn’t work out in the Premier League we all know that but neither did it work out for McClaren the season after we lost the Playoff Final to QPR did it . 

In one we were the worst team in the history of the Premier League and one of the worst teams in the history of top flight football - So bad that even the Bleacher Report (which barely even knows what Football is) wrote an article about it:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/686553-the-five-worst-teams-in-english-premier-league-history

Vs a team which had a remarkable implosion due to the resources not being there to cope with a couple of really key injuries - And even then it went down to the final game of the season for a playoff spot

Billy Davies got us promoted but then bemoaned lack of spending power

That would be a fair comment if ANY of his signings were actually any good

As a reminder - Earnshaw, Todd, Claude, Miller, Villa, Feilhaber, Eddie Lewis and Griffin - Spent about £15m on that lot

Would you really have trusted him with even more money?

You can't control a result. You can only control performances.

That's the idea behind wanting a team to be the best team on the pitch. 

The best team on the pitch wins more often than not. 

So no, its not just about winning. It's about good habits, good organisation, good understanding. 

I'm not saying this just in relation to Derby. To any fan who ever says that it's only the win that counts. You can increase your chances of winning by good performances. 

Archived