Derby County V Sheffield Wednesday

peachmyster

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this thread and others like it got me thinking of how to simplify my opinions on football,entertainment ,fans ,pundits ,results ,performances etc etc etc,,,,,,,,

i enjoy seeing good football ,,,,,,, I LOVE seeing Derby win

and there you have it 

After spending a couple of days in the Postman Pat room at the CBeebies Land of Nod hotel at Alton Towers, and a few goes on the Postman Pat ride and others with the kids at Alton Towers, followed by another good nights sleep at the Uttoxeter Premier Inn, off to Derby we went.

Enjoyed 3 pints in The Smithfield with family and friends, the misses left with the youngest lad and headed off to Sheffield to stay with friends, before being joined by my friends dad and his wonderful friend who gave my eldest lad a wonderful wristband, who was there for his first Derby game.

30cskmh.jpg

I always love to be in pubs where you can see away fans also enjoying a pint and having good football chat and made very welcome like I always feel amongst very good Derby people. We talked about how controlled Derby's play was becoming and how they seemed to be managing the play and the game at the moment, and were quite confident this would continue.

The lad and I walked up to the ground to take a lot of pictures before enjoying the game, we loved holding up the black cards and enjoyied the three Derby flags behind us, (I didn't take the Aberdeenshire Rams flag to this game) we encouraged the players, the team and we both sat there very relaxed in the East Stand Upper, knowing seconds after we kicked off, that we would win the game.

A great day was enjoyed including catching the train to Sheffield after the game where my lad was invited by Sheff Wed fans to sit on a seat with their two young lads where they all sat happily talking football, before we were picked up at the Sheffield train station by our friends, a father and his young lad, Sheffield Wednesday fans who looked after us all Saturday night and Sunday morning before we drove back to Inverurie. 

I hope my boy remembers the game, the day and keeps his match programme and ticket and wonderful gift from a wonderful man for the rest of his life and loves Derby County like his Dad.

18 hours ago, curtains said:

In all seriousness would you rather be entertained and lose .

What is entertainment Vydra winning a penalty or Carson making a save. 

Are you of the come on get it forward mantra no matter what’s on. 

I want to see us play well - And by that I mean good quality passing, flowing attacking moves, running at and beating players, dangerous crosses and yes - Goals - Generally speaking if you play well you win games - So the "would you rather be entertained and lose?" question is moot - I'd rather be entertained and win than not be entertained and win

Vyrda making a surging run into the box having linked onto a pinpoint through ball and winning a penalty is indeed exciting - I would rather Carson never had to make a save EVER as I find the ball being anywhere near our goal terrifying

And no - I like it when we show good quality passing - Preferably not just long the back to each other over and over again - Forward passing - But accurate - Take your time in build up as long as when you do go forward you're not just giving the ball away with sloppy passing

My question in return would be - If you only care about the result and not the way we play, why bother going to the games? Just listen to it on the radio

Just to sort of end the thread here maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41721133

Derby manager Gary Rowett still wants more from his Championship side despite a fourth home win in five games.

The Rams beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 on Saturday to go ninth in the table.

"I am not overly happy and I think we can do a lot better, but it's another clean sheet and another win," Rowett told BBC Radio Derby.

"We have to be better when not in possession. I thought our energy to win back the ball was poor and we have to do that side of the game much better."

Derby are now only three points off the play-offs after successive 2-0 home wins over fierce rivals Nottingham Forest and the Owls.

Rowett's side have also thumped Hull and scraped past Preston at Pride Park to go with a draw against Birmingham and 2-0 defeat by Wolves in August.

But their away form has been a stumbling block with just one win on the road all season.

"My concern is, as a manager, is that if you allow bad habits to develop, at some point they are going to bite you on the backside and you will lose a game or two because of it," Rowett continued.

"We weren't god enough with the ball and we didn't open pockets up. We didn't play with enough quality, especially in the final third.

"A side like Sheffield Wednesday are always dangerous and they created too many chances for my liking - and I felt they should have had a penalty as well.

"I am disappointed but we are starting to build quite nicely and that's a good disappointment to have."

I think he meant "good enough" in there - But overall he is saying pretty much what I felt on Saturday - We should have been easily the better team at home against 10 men - But we sat off and let them play, didn't pressure them when they had the ball, didn't open them up enough and didn't play with enough quality - As long as Gary is saying performances like that aren't yet good enough I'm happy with him

39 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I want to see us play well - And by that I mean good quality passing, flowing attacking moves, running at and beating players, dangerous crosses and yes - Goals - Generally speaking if you play well you win games - So the "would you rather be entertained and lose?" question is moot - I'd rather be entertained and win than not be entertained and win

Vyrda making a surging run into the box having linked onto a pinpoint through ball and winning a penalty is indeed exciting - I would rather Carson never had to make a save EVER as I find the ball being anywhere near our goal terrifying

And no - I like it when we show good quality passing - Preferably not just long the back to each other over and over again - Forward passing - But accurate - Take your time in build up as long as when you do go forward you're not just giving the ball away with sloppy passing

My question in return would be - If you only care about the result and not the way we play, why bother going to the games? Just listen to it on the radio

Highly predictable answer because trying to play well doesn’t always equate to winning games in the Championship as we have found out to our cost. 

What does win games is being hard to beat and keeping you’re shape defensively and scoring goals from attacking opportunities.

Its easy to lose shape as a team getting carried away and obsessed with pretty football and lose goals to the opposition on the break  but what you need is winning football  .

As for listening to the Radio at home and not going to Pride Park well that won’t happen . 

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Just to sort of end the thread here maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41721133

Derby manager Gary Rowett still wants more from his Championship side despite a fourth home win in five games.

The Rams beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 on Saturday to go ninth in the table.

"I am not overly happy and I think we can do a lot better, but it's another clean sheet and another win," Rowett told BBC Radio Derby.

"We have to be better when not in possession. I thought our energy to win back the ball was poor and we have to do that side of the game much better."

Derby are now only three points off the play-offs after successive 2-0 home wins over fierce rivals Nottingham Forest and the Owls.

Rowett's side have also thumped Hull and scraped past Preston at Pride Park to go with a draw against Birmingham and 2-0 defeat by Wolves in August.

But their away form has been a stumbling block with just one win on the road all season.

"My concern is, as a manager, is that if you allow bad habits to develop, at some point they are going to bite you on the backside and you will lose a game or two because of it," Rowett continued.

"We weren't god enough with the ball and we didn't open pockets up. We didn't play with enough quality, especially in the final third.

"A side like Sheffield Wednesday are always dangerous and they created too many chances for my liking - and I felt they should have had a penalty as well.

"I am disappointed but we are starting to build quite nicely and that's a good disappointment to have."

I think he meant "good enough" in there - But overall he is saying pretty much what I felt on Saturday - We should have been easily the better team at home against 10 men - But we sat off and let them play, didn't pressure them when they had the ball, didn't open them up enough and didn't play with enough quality - As long as Gary is saying performances like that aren't yet good enough I'm happy with him

He is having to appease Derby Fans like you. 

Question have we ever beat 10 men ! 

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

He is having to appease Derby Fans like you. 

Question have we ever beat 10 men ! 

So you're saying he doesn't want to play any better football than that? He's happy that we only just beat a team of 10 men at home but won't say that because of people like me?

I think it's time to up the dosage on your medication mate... 

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So you're saying he doesn't want to play any better football than that? He's happy that we only just beat a team of 10 men at home but won't say that because of people like me?

I think it's time to up the dosage on your medication mate... 

Supporters  like you make managers like Gary Rowett agitated on the touch line because he can here the disgruntled fans shouting at the team and players .

Answer my question have we ever beat 10 men and were they a goal ahead at the time ! 

Medication maybe you should try some yourself .

Calm down it’s only a commercial 

32 minutes ago, curtains said:

Highly predictable answer because trying to play well doesn’t always equate to winning games in the Championship as we have found out to our cost. 

What does win games is being hard to beat and keeping you’re shape defensively and scoring goals from attacking opportunities.

Its easy to lose shape as a team getting carried away and obsessed with pretty football and lose goals to the opposition on the break  but what you need is winning football  .

As for listening to the Radio at home and not going to Pride Park well that won’t happen . 

There is no right or wrong way to win games but playing entertaining football will win you games more often than not, playing hard to beat football doesn't always equate to winning games in the championship as we have found out to our cost also.

You talk as if some of our fans want to attack with all 11 outfield players in the oppositions box. You can have a solid defence and fluid attack, it isn't one or the other it is about balance, at the moment we haven't found that balance, it is getting closer, but not there yet.

This is one of the best examples where we were entertaining, playing good football and were very solid.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

There is no right or wrong way to win games but playing entertaining football will win you games more often than not, playing hard to beat football doesn't always equate to winning games in the championship as we have found out to our cost also.

You talk as if some of our fans want to attack with all 11 outfield players in the oppositions box. You can have a solid defence and fluid attack, it isn't one or the other it is about balance, at the moment we haven't found that balance, it is getting closer, but not there yet.

This is one of the best examples where we were entertaining, playing good football and were very solid.

This is an example of Derby beating 10 men. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

I know, I knew straight away what you were referring to (even if you did get the wording wrong :lol:)

Not sure what that had to do with my post though?

23 minutes ago, curtains said:

Answer my question have we ever beat 10 men and were they a goal ahead at the time ! 

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

Just now, curtains said:

Well there we go then

An example of us beating 10 men - Whilst playing well - Looking good in defence - Exciting on the break

I can think of a few others - But we do tend to switch off when the opposition go down to 10 - I feel like when we beat Hull 2 years ago they had a man sent off? But we were battering them when they had 11

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Well there we go then

An example of us beating 10 men - Whilst playing well - Looking good in defence - Exciting on the break

I can think of a few others - But we do tend to switch off when the opposition go down to 10 - I feel like when we beat Hull 2 years ago they had a man sent off? But we were battering them when they had 11

It was 2-0 when their player was sent off, so scored another 2 after and had a few more good chances to score (especially Ince)

Archived